SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana St Game........ Thats Montana St not NDSU

geaux_sioux

Typical Muss..."best team we've played this year. Had to play perfect game. Needed to get breaks...didn't get any."

So a couple breaks makes score 48-24??? So then we would hear about "moral victory" and/or "we were close"?

I absolutely hate it when a coach says his team needs to play perfect to win. Anytime a coach says this, the opponent automatically has the advantage over his team because NO ONE plays a perfect game. Therefore, when the opponent inevitably makes a big play against you, the team has the "here we go again, we needed to play perfect and we didn't"; rather than "ok, they made a play, now its our turn to punch them in the mouth".

You guys need a coaching makeover. The offense is good. Im actually impressed. Too bad your qb is a senior. The defense lacks talent, passion, and plays soft. Its clear by the reaction of fans that you dont like the scheme either. Not sure how to turn the defense. Maybe an influx of jucos? That has its negatives too.

That would be badass for us to get Bubba has head coach and kalen deboer as associate head coach/offensive coordinator.

Yeah, because Deboer's offenses have been lighting up the Missouri Valley ever since he's been there..............

Doesn't seem like the offense needs much tweaking.............

Anyone else watch both und and ndsu yesterday? Did anyone else find it sickening that they play with such Passion and reckless abandon and und plays like they don't give two shits about the program

I listened on the radio, and it was disappointing to here our own sideline reporter say that before the end of the 3rd quarter our players had a look in their eyes like, "lets just head back to Grand Forks".....................

I just got back from Bozeman and here are some observations that I had from yesterday's game and atmosphere.

The Game-

1. The defense is what it is, I'm afraid and I don't see it improving much for the remainder of the season. They had Jablonsky and Finley leave the game with injuries. On our defensive front, you see guys like Benjamin and Brenneman, desperately trying to make things happen but you can tell they are trying with bodies that are only about 70% healthy.

2. Mr. Mackey, I realize that you made a big hit. But the scoreboard indicates that we are down by 4 scores and I seriously doubt that it will make up for the plays that were missed, so why strut around? Huddle up, get your kudos from your teammates in the huddle and get ready for the next play. We need to stop being about "me" and start worrying about "we". Oh yeah, and despite the hit, the guy still caught the ball and it was for a first down.

3. Why are we still letting opposing receivers have an inside slant on plays inside the 10 yard line? That has happened more than once this year. Lining up and understanding situations is junior high football, and the fact that it keeps happening is mind boggling. Opposing QB's and receivers must be laughing at being allowed the easiest pass and catch so close to the end zone.

4. Tackling, I realize that these schools have some talented backs, but there is no reason that a defender should tackle air as much as we do, or hit and fall away as much as we do.

5. I know many will disagree with me, as it has been a positive, and even though they've been a strength at times. Our wide receivers have got to get faster, with the exception of Greg Hardin, our receivers look slow...at least they did this game, very few times when they were in their break in their route had they created a cushion on their defender. If you are only marginally open, it makes it darn hard to complete a pass. Many of our receivers looked too easy to cover.

Other Observations...

1. Their fans are deafening on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down when we have the ball. And guess what, it requires absolutely no verbal cue from a PA person to be that way. I was impressed.

2. The volume, their speakers-- when they play music, is very loud. It definitely adds to the atmosphere.

3. Because I know geaux_sioux talks about this a lot. I've felt fine with our video this year, I personally like it, but I know he wants one that pumps up the players more- but the players don't even see it as they are coming out of the tunnel at The Alerus. At Montana State their opening video, the same music that we use for ours. I think its from the preview of the Sherlock Holme's movies- they use the same one as their team prepares to run out of their inflatable Bobcat helmet, and their crowd loves it. Granted the music is much louder, but the cuts on the videos of big hits, catches, nearly mirror ours to a t.

4. Tailgating atmosphere- I was impressed with it but, honestly, where our tailgating is at now with Tailgate Village etc... I would say ours is good.

Theirs stands out because of the sheer size and scope, but that's going to be the case when you have an a crowd that's somewhere between 16 and 20 thousand. I wouldn't say it's anymore special, they just have more people doing it, because number 1, they are one of the top teams in the country and their fans want to be around, and 2, each group of fans that tailgates has built it into their fall, Saturday tradition. That's really what it boils down to.

5. Our band accounted for themselves very well. I was glad to see they made the trip.

Our receivers probably look slow because 1. RJ is hurt and was fast 2. Tyhre moved to safety and was another quick one 3. Jameer isn't fast but injured his ankle last week so he was slowed down by that 4. Golladay isn't a burner but he's had an ankle issue since the Poly game. 5. Bridges doesn't play at all 6. Townsend is just plain slow since he had a terrible ankle injury as a freshman. Honestly Hardin looked pretty slow too as if the cold was affecting him alot as did the whole team. SOFT. Anyway Golladay and Jackson will get faster and RJ will get healthy so our WRs will look faster as a group next year....

Typical Muss..."best team we've played this year. Had to play perfect game. Needed to get breaks...didn't get any."

So a couple breaks makes score 48-24??? So then we would hear about "moral victory" and/or "we were close"?

Exactly. The way the defense is stopping teams it would take a ton of breaks for this team to win on the road against a highly ranked opponent.

A lot of the time you earn the breaks you get.....don't think this team deserves to get the breaks.

I just got back from Bozeman and here are some observations that I had from yesterday's game and atmosphere.

The Game-

2. Mr. Mackey, I realize that you made a big hit. But the scoreboard indicates that we are down by 4 scores and I seriously doubt that it will make up for the plays that were missed, so why strut around? Huddle up, get your kudos from your teammates in the huddle and get ready for the next play. We need to stop being about "me" and start worrying about "we". Oh yeah, and despite the hit, the guy still caught the ball and it was for a first down.

This team's attitude is a joke, and yet we have people (100% biggest homers/dreamers in Grand Forks) that think this football team's attitude and demeanor will allow us to win a conference championship in the future. This team's leadership is sh*t!! If we at least played tough in every game but came up with a 4-7 or 5-6 record, it would be different, but to lose 55-10 and 55-17 to conference teams is absolute BS. If you guys can't see this, get your heads out of your a**. Something needs to change; if not Mussman, a considerable amount of assistant coaches and players.

This team's attitude is a joke, and yet we have people (100% biggest homers/dreamers in Grand Forks) that think this football team's attitude and demeanor will allow us to win a conference championship in the future. This team's leadership is sh*t!! If we at least played tough in every game but came up with a 4-7 or 5-6 record, it would be different, but to lose 55-10 and 55-17 to conference teams is absolute BS. If you guys can't see this, get your heads out of your a**. Something needs to change; if not Mussman, a considerable amount of assistant coaches and players.

Hard to argue with anything you just said. I have yet to hear the word "embarrassing" from a player or coach in the post-game interviews. Because I don't think they are.

Hard to argue with anything you just said. I have yet to hear the word "embarrassing" from a player or coach in the post-game interviews. Because I don't think they are.

Apathy to mediocrity is in bloom here with this program. The Muss-isms are starting to spread from the top down with this program and take hold unfortunately. That fact that we have been close in a few games and lost seems to soften the blows of getting destroyed by EWU and MSU. Seems coaches, players and fans are becoming "OK" with 5-6 or 6-5 as long as they think and can justify in some small way that this team and program is/are making positive strides. Outside of last year, mediocrity is the new normal under Muss.

Last time I mention this. Just because players and coaches havent said certain things to the media does not mean that they aren't being said in house.

Last time I will mention this too: Good teams and good coaches take accountability in the media and come out and call it like it is. They say when they got beat by a better team, using those exact words. They challenge their team publically. He has never once come out and called it like it is. The players have never once said they are "embarrassed and this can never happen again". There is always an excuse or they say "how close they were", even when they lose by 40.

Last time I mention this. Just because players and coaches havent said certain things to the media does not mean that they aren't being said in house.

Not saying that isn't the case, but Muss then needs to stop with all the other garbage he spews post game after a loss then.

The players and coaches don't have to tell how how they feel. They can use coach speak and turn around, walk into the locker room and start breaking things and start laying it out on the line and holding people accountable.

Seems to really be working well. The players have not responded to whatever you claim he is doing.

Seems to really be working well. The players have not responded to whatever you claim he is doing.

You must not be very familiar with the ebb and flow of football team performance. A coach can do everything perfect leading up to a game and his team can still lay an egg, it can also work out in the opposite manor. All I'm saying is that everyone on here 'knows' how things are with Mussman and the players based off of the media and what they see on the field. The only people who really know what the state of the program is are in the locker room everyday busting their ass to save the season.

You must not be very familiar with the ebb and flow of football team performance. A coach can do everything perfect leading up to a game and his team can still lay an egg, it can also work out in the opposite manor. All I'm saying is that everyone on here 'knows' how things are with Mussman and the players based off of the media and what they see on the field. The only people who really know what the state of the program is are in the locker room everyday busting their ass to save the season.

Here we go with this garbage again...."We are not 'in the room', so we are 'clueless' as to the state of the program and shouldn't make comments about it." :silly: I hate to break this to you, but it doesn't take an expert in football to realize that the defense is crap, has been crap for several years now (last year was an aberration) and will continue to be crap until we make some changes. If, at the end of this season (and it can't end soon enough), Mussman doesn't make changes to the defense (scheme, coaching staff, ect) and says that everything is fine the way it is, then I think it's time to start talking regime change. Once mediocrity sets in as "the way things are", it is very difficult to change it. We didn't move up to Division I for this and it needs to stop.....now!!! :angry:

• Upvote 1

All I'm saying is that everyone on here 'knows' how things are with Mussman and the players based off of the media and what they see on the field. The only people who really know what the state of the program is are in the locker room everyday busting their ass to save the season.

I think the product on the field and the results are a better indication of what's going on with the state of this program compared to what may or may not be being said in the locker room by a coach or players.

Here we go with this garbage again...."We are not 'in the room', so we are 'clueless' as to the state of the program and shouldn't make comments about it." :silly: I hate to break this to you, but it doesn't take an expert in football to realize that the defense is crap, has been crap for several years now (last year was an aberration) and will continue to be crap until we make some changes. If, at the end of this season (and it can't end soon enough), Mussman doesn't make changes to the defense (scheme, coaching staff, ect) and says that everything is fine the way it is, then I think it's time to start talking regime change. Once mediocrity sets in as "the way things are", it is very difficult to change it. We didn't move up to Division I for this and it needs to stop.....now!!! :angry:

He should make a change with the defensive staff, I've thinking that for a while. I'm saying I hate when people pretend to 'know' things about the inner workings of the program when they don't. Look at the Patriots and other NFL teams and how they talk to the media, then NFL Network runs a show of the inner working and the coach is berating players in meetings right after giving a non-descript press conference.

I think the product on the field and the results are a better indication of what's going on with the state of this program compared to what may or may not be being said in the locker room by a coach or players.

So the state of the program is responsible for all of the injuries to key players? Or the two really good teams that came off a buy and played us? Or having the toughest schedule in the country while having a bunch of injuries to really key players?

He should make a change with the defensive staff, I've thinking that for a while. I'm saying I hate when people pretend to 'know' things about the inner workings of the program when they don't. Look at the Patriots and other NFL teams and how they talk to the media, then NFL Network runs a show of the inner working and the coach is berating players in meetings right after giving a non-descript press conference.

The problem is that I don't think Mussman will make changes on the defensive side; he just doesn't seem to have the guts to fire some of his long-time assistants. If the man at the top doesn't believe changes are needed, they will not happen.

The problem is that I don't think Mussman will make changes on the defensive side; he just doesn't seem to have the guts to fire some of his long-time assistants. If the man at the top doesn't believe changes are needed, they will not happen.

Let him prove that this year before concluding it. Foresight isn't exactly 20/20.