SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana game

geaux_sioux

None according to you and how rare a win is? You are so blinded you don't even know when you contradict your self.

I haven't contradicted myself at all. You obviously haven't followed FCS football for very long.

From 2006-2011 there were 520 FCS vs. FBS games. FCS teams won 37 of those games. This is a 7.1% winning percentage.

Over that same time period, NDSU had a 5-3 record against FBS competition. They won 5 of 8 games over that time, a 62.5% winning percentage. 2012 stats aren't included in the above stats but NDSU notched another win this year giving them a 6-3 record against FBS teams since 2006, or a 66.6% winning percentage. So from 2006 to 2011, NDSU accounted for 5 of the 37 FCS vs. FBS matchup wins. That's 13% of all the FCS vs. FBS wins.

So given the fact that from 2006-2011 FCS teams have a 7.1% winning percentage over FBS teams while NDSU enjoys a 62.5% winning percentage, I feel confident in saying that I am correct in saying that FBS wins for FCS teams are EXTREMELY RARE. But NDSU seems to buck that trend and IMO would have beaten most if not all of the FBS teams UND has played over the past few years.

Feel free to use facts this time if you want to say I am contradicting myself.

So little buildings in college hockey have replays?

Every building in Division I college hockey has to be able to show overhead goal replays. That is the only thing they can replay, goals. They have only done that for a limited number of years, waiting until they could put it in all buildings.

Every building in Division I college hockey has to be able to show overhead goal replays. That is the only thing they can replay, goals. They have only done that for a limited number of years, waiting until they could put it in all buildings.

I just think if your building is equipped then have instant replay, or at least do it for conference games. Most stadiums (in major FCS conferences at least) should have instant replay.

Why don't you check the stats on FBS games vs. FCS teams. Regardless of how good an FBS team ends up in their own conference, FBS wins are EXTREMELY RARE.

There is no such thing as an FBS cupcake. Has nothing to do with me being an NDSU fan either, they are just so rare that you can't discount them even in the slightest way.

Which of the FBS teams that UND has played in the past 4 years wouldn't NDSU have beaten? Texas Tech is likely the only one.

Even little old UND could of beat some of the FBS teams NDSU beat. Start with the Gophers. Yes UND could of beat them.

I just think if your building is equipped then have instant replay, or at least do it for conference games. Most stadiums (in major FCS conferences at least) should have instant replay.

They are trying to play games under standardized conditions as much as possible. The field is 100 yards long. The crossbar on the goalpost is 10 feet off the ground. Not all stadiums are capable of replay, so they don't use replay. It really isn't that complicated. Until they can get equipment in all stadiums, they aren't going to use it. It is that simple.

Even little old UND could of beat some of the FBS teams NDSU beat. Start with the Gophers. Yes UND could of beat them.

Is that right? Which year would that have happened? Last year?

How could you possibly justify such a statement when UND has lost to FBS teams the Gophers would likely beat?

I am seriously curious to hear a justification for this.

They are trying to play games under standardized conditions as much as possible. The field is 100 yards long. The crossbar on the goalpost is 10 feet off the ground. Not all stadiums are capable of replay, so they don't use replay. It really isn't that complicated. Until they can get equipment in all stadiums, they aren't going to use it. It is that simple.

What is more simple than here are a few tv camaras, a monitor in the press box to look at it through and a ref to oversee it. They don't need a million dollar jumbo board. I think every school in the BSC is capable of this.

I haven't contradicted myself at all. You obviously haven't followed FCS football for very long.

From 2006-2011 there were 520 FCS vs. FBS games. FCS teams won 37 of those games. This is a 7.1% winning percentage.

Over that same time period, NDSU had a 5-3 record against FBS competition. They won 5 of 8 games over that time, a 62.5% winning percentage. 2012 stats aren't included in the above stats but NDSU notched another win this year giving them a 6-3 record against FBS teams since 2006, or a 66.6% winning percentage. So from 2006 to 2011, NDSU accounted for 5 of the 37 FCS vs. FBS matchup wins. That's 13% of all the FCS vs. FBS wins.

So given the fact that from 2006-2011 FCS teams have a 7.1% winning percentage over FBS teams while NDSU enjoys a 62.5% winning percentage, I feel confident in saying that I am correct in saying that FBS wins for FCS teams are EXTREMELY RARE. But NDSU seems to buck that trend and IMO would have beaten most if not all of the FBS teams UND has played over the past few years.

Feel free to use facts this time if you want to say I am contradicting myself.

You guys treat FBS like it's a magical class and automatically better than everyone else. It's kind of like when you act like FCS is automatically better than Division II or NAIA. There are good teams and bad teams in all classes. The better teams in FCS should be able to beat the lower level FBS teams, especially from conferences like the WAC or other lower level FBS conferences. Just like when NDSU beat Montana and when UND beat UNI while the North Dakota schools were still in Division II.

NDSU is among the better teams in FCS, and most of the games they have played have been against the lower level FBS teams. Good for NDSU. Get back to us when you have a win against a good FBS school, like Appy State did against Michigan. That will impress people. Otherwise, I'm not going to be impressed by your win against Colorado State this year, or wins against Minnesota. And I really don't care what your record is against FBS schools, not a lot of record books show that as a regular stat.

• Upvote 1

You guys treat FBS like it's a magical class and automatically better than everyone else. It's kind of like when you act like FCS is automatically better than Division II or NAIA. There are good teams and bad teams in all classes. The better teams in FCS should be able to beat the lower level FBS teams, especially from conferences like the WAC or other lower level FBS conferences. Just like when NDSU beat Montana and when UND beat UNI while the North Dakota schools were still in Division II.

NDSU is among the better teams in FCS, and most of the games they have played have been against the lower level FBS teams. Good for NDSU. Get back to us when you have a win against a good FBS school, like Appy State did against Michigan. That will impress people. Otherwise, I'm not going to be impressed by your win against Colorado State this year, or wins against Minnesota. And I really don't care what your record is against FBS schools, not a lot of record books show that as a regular stat.

Listen, those stats I listed aren't my opinion. It is extremely rare and difficult to beat an FBS team. If it were just about scheduling the "easy" ones don't you think everyone would be doing that?

So until NDSU does what Appalachian State did, which by the way had never been done before and hasn't been done since, you won't be impressed?

Just think how good UND's football program would be if you held your own team to such a high standard.

If it isn't a big deal or difficult to do, why hasn't UND been able to accomplish it?

What is more simple than here are a few tv camaras, a monitor in the press box to look at it through and a ref to oversee it. They don't need a million dollar jumbo board. I think every school in the BSC is capable of this.

Every school in the BSC is set up to broadcast games on Big Sky TV. Some of them have very basic set ups, like what we saw from Cal Poly. But a few TV cameras, a monitor in the press box and a ref to oversee it isn't all that is needed. Good quality cameras are expensive. You need more than a few cameras to get good coverage. You need people that know how to use the cameras, and the rest of the equipment. It isn't nearly as simple or as cheap as you seem to think. Even the NFL doesn't always have good replay angles when they have anywhere from 10 to 15 or more cameras covering a game. And it isn't just a conference thing, all of FCS has the same rules. The BSC isn't going to have replay until the FCS is ready to put replay in all FCS games.

Every school in the BSC is set up to broadcast games on Big Sky TV. Some of them have very basic set ups, like what we saw from Cal Poly. But a few TV cameras, a monitor in the press box and a ref to oversee it isn't all that is needed. Good quality cameras are expensive. You need more than a few cameras to get good coverage. You need people that know how to use the cameras, and the rest of the equipment. It isn't nearly as simple or as cheap as you seem to think. Even the NFL doesn't always have good replay angles when they have anywhere from 10 to 15 or more cameras covering a game. And it isn't just a conference thing, all of FCS has the same rules. The BSC isn't going to have replay until the FCS is ready to put replay in all FCS games.

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. For example, I believe the Big Ten was the first conference to use instant replay, before anybody else in FBS (then I-A).

If it isn't a big deal or difficult to do, why hasn't UND been able to accomplish it?

UND is in their first year out of transition so they haven't played that many FBS teams. They have played games against some pretty good FBS teams in Texas Tech and San Diego State (notice what SDSU did to Colorado State this year). And UND hasn't had top quality FCS football teams yet. UND will beat FBS teams in the future. I'm not concerned about it and I'm not going to orgasm when it happens like so many NDSU fans do. I also don't plan to set up another column in the record books for FBS wins.

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. For example, I believe the Big Ten was the first conference to use instant replay, before anybody else in FBS (then I-A).

I believe that the playoff factor will play into that. At the FBS level they didn't have to worry about the same level playing field to qualify for playoffs. I look at it like Division I hockey. I'm pretty sure that they didn't allow replays in DI hockey until they could have them for all games. I could be wrong on that. But even so, they aren't going to have replays in FCS football when they only have 3 or 4 cameras showing the entire field. You just can't get a good angle on enough plays to make it fair. The Big Ten games were all being shown by large enough companies to put at least 6 or 7 cameras on the field.

Wow North Dakota fans, time to take off the green and black goggles.

I like to support your team but I would see a game with you in Madison as a 70-14 type of game, and I think Minnesota would get out of hand as well. Not having a defense may work in your conference, but I don't see that getting you FBS wins.

I also think both conferences are good this year. I think BSC has stronger top, but MVFC is strong with a lot of parity.

Anyways, this rivalry is good entertainment (popcorn is ready)

See you guys FEBRUARY 1

NDSU beat Central Michigan...actually they destroyed them. That was far and away the most impressive win they have over FBS schools as while they aren't in a "name" conference they are far and away the best team NDSU has played.

NDSU beat Central Michigan...actually they destroyed them. That was far and away the most impressive win they have over FBS schools as while they aren't in a "name" conference they are far and away the best team NDSU has played.

You're right, that was probably the best actual FBS football team that NDSU beat. Central Michigan was much better than either of the Minnesota teams that NDSU beat, which proves that you can't tell the quality of a team by a conference or classification level. Which is why bragging about FBS wins is just silly. Brag about beating quality teams, not about beating terrible teams from a higher level.