SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux or non-Sioux Gear?

Hayduke

Being new to UND sports, do other campuses ever not let you wear your Sioux gear. I had read at the University of MN they made people turn them inside out. Truth or rumor?

Thanks

Rumor. As long as it's not profane, the first ammendment protects the right to wear Fighting Sioux gear.

• Upvote 1

Being new to UND sports, do other campuses ever not let you wear your Sioux gear. I had read at the University of MN they made people turn them inside out. Truth or rumor?

Thanks

Rumor. I have never had them do that when I have attended events there. And like someone already said, your 1st Amendment rights protect you.

I will always refer to them as the Sioux and will take every chance to inform and teach others of why it was lost...

I'm stocked up for life on throwback Sioux jerseys (thanks AZSIOUX) so I won't be wearing any logo other than a Sioux one to a UND game...no Sparkling Unicorns, no Glittery Unicorns, no Shimmery Butteflies...no, NO, and NO!

• Upvote 3

I'm stocked up for life on throwback Sioux jerseys (thanks AZSIOUX) so I won't be wearing any logo other than a Sioux one to a UND game...no Sparkling Unicorns, no Glittery Unicorns, no Shimmery Butteflies...no, NO, and NO!

Last year, I had three authentic Sioux jerseys customized at the Sioux Shop (one white, one green and one black). I have other jerseys, but they were getting a little worn in places. I also have several of the old geometric jerseys from the 1990's.

I had them sent off for customizing and they were shipped directly to my house via UPS. They all looked fabulous.

I have two black jerseys that still need customization - had the green and whites previously done - agree - they look awesome.

Did you get your own name put on the back? I know lots of people view that as a 'fashion foul' but my theory is that I'm the only player who can never graduate or get traded from the Fighting Sioux. :lol:

I have two black jerseys that still need customization - had the green and whites previously done - agree - they look awesome.

Did you get your own name put on the back? I know lots of people view that as a 'fashion foul' but my theory is that I'm the only player who can never graduate or get traded from the Fighting Sioux. :lol:

My black and white jerseys have my last name on the back. The white jersey has #7 on it and the black jersey has #10. My green jersey has "Sioux Alum" on the back with the #98 (I received my Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration in May 1998). As for putting your own name on the back, I think it's cool. I know Dan "The Common Man" Cole complains about people doing it, but I think he's full of crap on that (and other things too, but that's another topic! :)). And all of my jerseys have the captain's "C" on the front.

My black and white jerseys have my last name on the back. The white jersey has #7 on it and the black jersey has #10. My green jersey has "Sioux Alum" on the back with the #98 (I received my Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration in May 1998). As for putting your own name on the back, I think it's cool. I know Dan "The Common Man" Cole complains about people doing it, but I think he's full of crap on that (and other things too, but that's another topic! :)). And all of my jerseys have the captain's "C" on the front.

I'm sending in the black ones for customization soon but won't have them done with the current scheme of white numbers outlined in green. I think it was 2009-2010 when they had green numbers outlined in white...AWESOME look.

• 4 months later...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/stores-rushed-stock-merchandise-fighting-sioux-nickname-logo-und-royalties-spiked

The nickname and logo are popular locally, including among some American Indians, but the NCAA considers the symbols to be offensive to Indians and threatened sanctions. The symbols were officially retired Dec. 31, 2012, after the state failed to convince the NCAA otherwise. Wholesalers, however, had until March 31, 2013, to manufacture as much merchandise as they could to sell to retailers, such as the Sioux Shop and Scheels All Sports.

Because UND sells the license to use its logos and marks to the wholesalers, the more merchandise that’s made, the more the university earns. From 2008 to 2010, UND made an average of $279,000 each year in royalties from all marks and logos, including the Fighting Sioux.

When the controversy came to a head in 2011, royalty payments abruptly jumped to more than $624,000. Royalties remained high at more than $606,000 in 2012 and decreased to about $520,000 in 2013.

In Reynolds, N.D., Frank Haynes is offering an alternative.

The UND graduate makes and sells T-shirts from his home mostly through his website, SiouxPride.com. Since UND doesn’t own the rights to the word “Sioux,” Haynes’ operation is completely legal, even though his shirts sport phrases like, “Once a Sioux, always a Sioux.”

But Haynes said he sells mostly to Indians.

“When I sold in Devils Lake, I heard a lot of people say ‘I love the Sioux name, I’m very proud of it, it doesn’t matter to me that somebody is using is as a nickname,’” he said.

He admitted that even though he’s benefited from a secondary market of UND sports fans, it was never his intention. “I’m very careful not to associate myself with UND or the Fighting Sioux name.”

I wonder how much in royalties the new nickname will generate compared to the Sioux nickname.

http://www.grandfork...oyalties-spiked

I wonder how much in royalties the new nickname will generate compared to the Sioux nickname.

We will never know... It'll never be an apples to apples comparison. For expamle, UND's enrollment is now higher then it was prior to the nickname battle (for the most part), also, things like championships change the amount of sales. And of course the wind down of the Sioux nickname will probably never be rivaled in sales.

We will never know... It'll never be an apples to apples comparison. For expamle, UND's enrollment is now higher then it was prior to the nickname battle (for the most part), also, things like championships change the amount of sales. And of course the wind down of the Sioux nickname will probably never be rivaled in sales.

We will have to wait and see. It's going to be very interesting how sales do of the new name and logo. Obviously it is going to be hard to get used to seeing "North Dakota" next to a different name other than Sioux at first. Fans may be hesitant at first. The selection of the name and logo are going to be vital in the popularity of it and that directly will affect merchandise sales. If they choose something that is boring and overused (Wildcats, Bulldogs, etc) it will will not create a lot of buzz because tis been done. I am hoping they can find a name that is unique and fits our state and University well. I know that true fans of The University of North Dakota athletics will support the new name. Just hope it's something I will be proud to wear on my chest and yell out at games!!

• Upvote 2

My opinion is we never chose a new nickname and stick with North Dakota. Eventually I may get myself to pay ridiculous prices at the Siouxshop for something that doesn't have the fighting sioux logo on it. I'm guessing that won't happpen but as an alum that is my vote.

• Upvote 1

My opinion is we never chose a new nickname and stick with North Dakota. Eventually I may get myself to pay ridiculous prices at the Siouxshop for something that doesn't have the fighting sioux logo on it. I'm guessing that won't happpen but as an alum that is my vote.

The NCAA won't allow UND to go forever without a nickname, they are allowing it now due to the cooling off period that ends in 9 months and 4 days.

That was my stance from the beginning. What would say how much the people of North Dakota honored the Fighting SIoux nickname more than not having one? If UND can do this, it has my vote.

The NCAA won't allow UND to go forever without a nickname, they are allowing it now due to the cooling off period that ends in 9 months and 4 days.

I'm actually pretty sure that UND could go on indefinitely without a nickname, and the NCAA wouldn't care.

I'm actually pretty sure that UND could go on indefinitely without a nickname, and the NCAA wouldn't care.

Judging by the fact that there is literally ZERO talk about the process of choosing a new nickname with 2015 looming, I am guessing that UND is fairly confident that the NCAA is not going to get in their business to much when we don't have a nickname in 9 months. With talk shakeup in FBS football on the horizon and the recent actions at Northwestern, they have bigger fish to fry,

Judging by the fact that there is literally ZERO talk about the process of choosing a new nickname with 2015 looming, I am guessing that UND is fairly confident that the NCAA is not going to get in their business to much when we don't have a nickname in 9 months. With talk shakeup in FBS football on the horizon and the recent actions at Northwestern, they have bigger fish to fry,

Don't worry the NCAA will always find time to meddle in everyone else's affairs.

I know the NCAA had a timeline to pick a new name but it was altered due to the ND state law matter. Maybe the NCAA forgot. UND did have an unofficial nickname before the Sioux name, so why have a new one now.