SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

Well, looks like they can forget about a career in banking and perhaps other forms of financial services.

Same likely goes for any law enforcement organization, certainly at the federal level... as well as the US intelligence community, including contractors. Stupid mistakes can be costly.

Some of this is accurate, some not, specifically, but not limited to, the suggestion implied by the last sentence/question!!

Bohl suspending for lessor sentences: More to story-->trust me.

Immediate action/RMU suspension: McFooley and the rest of media would have still been all over it, but maybe would have lessened to an extent negative public perception.

The problem with suspending now is that doing so will only embolden the anti-NDSU media types, who will then think they can somehow dictate what Bohl/Taylor do. Given that, I hope there are no suspensions, just inter-athletic discipline of some sort.

Suspending now will make Bohl keep his word...do nothing until their day in court. Well court is done lets see what Bohl does. Man up and suspend for YSU? Or be GT's bitch and make no suspensions.

Some of this is accurate, some not, specifically, but not limited to, the suggestion implied by the last sentence/question!!

Bohl suspending for lessor sentences: More to story-->trust me.

Immediate action/RMU suspension: McFooley and the rest of media would have still been all over it, but maybe would have lessened to an extent negative public perception.

The problem with suspending now is that doing so will only embolden the anti-NDSU media types, who will then think they can somehow dictate what Bohl/Taylor do. Given that, I hope there are no suspensions, just inter-athletic discipline of some sort.

So they shouldn't be suspended because the media said they should and they would be empowered or they shouldn't be suspended because you don't think the offense was worthy of one? As a lawyer, I would think your views on forgery/fraud would be a little more strict, regardless of intent.

I can't wait for the other 'su trolls to sober up from their Prestone martinis a bit and make their presence known.

We can read about their various strawman arguments involving hockey, or hocking, the "pro-UND" bias of the big, bad media, the "jealousy" of UND fans, the strong response to the GUILTY pleas by Bohl and Taylor ... should be a fun day.

Same likely goes for any law enforcement organization, certainly at the federal level... as well as the US intelligence community, including contractors. Stupid mistakes can be costly.

If they keep clean, the charges are expunged from their record. So they could possibly become SU campus cops one day.

...sober up from their Prestone martinis a bit...

Don't know why, but I find this comment absofrickinlutely hilarious.

Prestone. :lol:

Suspending now will make Bohl keep his word...do nothing until their day in court. Well court is done lets see what Bohl does. Man up and suspend for YSU? Or be GT's bitch and make no suspensions.

I'll be surprise if there are suspensions (Note this is in reply to some other, similar posts). Bohl/Taylor have known for a long time that these guilty pleas were coming, as has NDSU Prez. B. Given that, they have had time to prepare for whatever Bohl is going to tell the media today. Hopefully NDSU's media relations people are good (maybe they are UND grads).

For me, the bottom line is this. As a former NDSU FB player, I am clearly and admittedly pro-NDSU. That said, I am not anti-UND. Do I stick up for NDSU?! You bet. Do I routinely trash UND? No, and I have a pretty good relationship with most that come over to Bisonville. Also, in the recent documentary, I said as much as I typed above. Frankly, I think this jump to suspensions and what not is a result of an over zealous and oftentimes biased media, and I just can not get myself to subscribe to that kind of BS--and my feelings are not limited to just the UND hockey issues or the NDSU FB issues. It is generally applicable these days.

So, with this post, I will likely bail. Don't blame those of you have hammered (or at least tried to :) ) on me for coming over hear. I would do the same on BV.

We will see where the chips fall later today for the dirty-10!!

I would be shocked if the attorney is not being paid, the only way the NCAA would allow that would be a public defender. I would assume that the NCAA would allow family, or maybe a long time family friend to help with attorney fees, but the NCAA would frown on having some booster paying the attorney fees.

Even if he did it pro bono would not the NCAA have an issue as to why he gave them his services for free? Wouldn't that be a benefit not offered to other students because they play football?

Me neither. In fact I will be shocked as hell if Bohl does suspend the players.

I kind of have the opposite feeling. Something has to be done now that we have a guilty plea (cough....victims). How do you punish these players? I think they sit against Youngstown and then Bison nation will go with "Ohhh see....we benched our players against the number three team in the country on homecoming...see!!!!! see!!!!!"

Let's be honest, none of these guys would ever be qualified to work in a profession that requires even the slightest level of intelligence. They were never going to work in a bank or for the feds anyway. Remember, not only will they be NDSU grads, they're NDSU football players.

As a lawyer, I would think your views on forgery/fraud would be a little more strict, regardless of intent.

Clearly you don't know many lawyers ;)(sorry ScottM)

• Upvote 1

I'll be surprise if there are suspensions (Note this is in reply to some other, similar posts). Bohl/Taylor have known for a long time that these guilty pleas were coming, as has NDSU Prez. B. Given that, they have had time to prepare for whatever Bohl is going to tell the media today. Hopefully NDSU's media relations people are good (maybe they are UND grads).

For me, the bottom line is this. As a former NDSU FB player, I am clearly and admittedly pro-NDSU. That said, I am not anti-UND. Do I stick up for NDSU?! You bet. Do I routinely trash UND? No, and I have a pretty good relationship with most that come over to Bisonville. Also, in the recent documentary, I said as much as I typed above. Frankly, I think this jump to suspensions and what not is a result of an over zealous and oftentimes biased media, and I just can not get myself to subscribe to that kind of BS--and my feelings are not limited to just the UND hockey issues or the NDSU FB issues. It is generally applicable these days.

So, with this post, I will likely bail. Don't blame those of you have hammered (or at least tried to :) ) on me for coming over hear. I would do the same on BV.

We will see where the chips fall later today for the dirty-10!!

Palm to face smiley.....

Even if he did it pro bono would not the NCAA have an issue as to why he gave them his services for free? Wouldn't that be a benefit not offered to other students because they play football?

We don't know if that's the case or not, but I'd imagine if he did it pro bono and didn't make a similar offer to the other 5 people charged (who aren't/are no longer Bison football players) the NCAA would have a problem with it.

Shocker!

"Coach Craig Bohl has said the players could face team discipline but not suspensions."

This refers to his earlier comment after the Colorado State Game-->just sayin!!

Additional information to come from Bohl later today on relative to guilty pleas!!

"Coach Craig Bohl has said the players could face team discipline but not suspensions."

Additional information to come from Bohl later today on relative to guilty pleas!!

Beat me to it. :)

We don't know if that's the case or not, but I'd imagine if he did it pro bono and didn't make a similar offer to the other 5 people charged (who aren't/are no longer Bison football players) the NCAA would have a problem with it.

He could do it pro-bono if he wanted, but I doubt Bruce is doing so. NCAA won't even look at that issue, because it isn't an issue. The NCAA has major nickname issues to deal with-->remember?!?!? :lol:

If NDSU, Craig Bohl, Gene Taylor, or Dean Bresciani had any (intestinal fortitude), they would suspend these guys for the Youngstown State game. You want to make a statement to the football team and other student athletes that ANY misconduct is taken seriously and that no player or players are above the rules, then you suspend these players for the biggest game of the year. It will send a strong message to athletes that the University, president, AD, and coaching staff are concerned about the character and integrity of their student athletes and that when issues come up that question that character and integrity (especially when those issues involve breaking the law) that they will punish them accordingly. We can all rip on the NDSU brass for what they have said and done in regards to this situation in the past, but I for one would gain respect for them if they suspended them this Saturday.

And why would the other 5 not take advantage of a great lawyer cutting them a deal also?

Okay, maybe this is when they slap on those ankle bracelets.

Could the discipline be wearing them during the games? Maybe it'll slow down the defensive secondary a bit? Or at least during road games the beeping noises they make might hurt their defensive schemes, you know, giving away their positions to opposing receivers focusing on the ball?

I got a million of 'em! :lol:

Surely what these players did is also a violation of the "student code of conduct". Has anybody heard of any action being taken by the Dean of Students Office (DOS) ? I know for fact at UND when an athlete violates the student code they are held accountable by the DOS as would any other student accused of a violation.