SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

Those players were stripped of their letters and to my knowledge will not have them reinstated even though two of the three had the charges against them dismissed due to overzealous police work by the GFPD. NDSU has not doled out any punishment that is any ways comparable.

While I agree that Bohl and Taylor have no obligation to comment on these charges, I think this incident is indicative of a larger problem at NDSU. These players spent between 2-4 years in the NDSU football program and apparently lack any moral compass. On another board you have a booster who is now actively threatening a female reporter for simply doing her job and is encouraging others to harass and intimidate her. At one point does it become a lack of institutional control on NDSU's part. These players obviously felt they were above the law at NDSU and continue to think they are so. Lakesbison has been allowed to pursue all sorts of questionable and borderline criminal behaviors and yet he's received nothing in terms of sanction from the NDSU athletic department or from Teammakers. In my opinion, both are clear cases of an institution that's displaying a complete lack of institutional control over it's football program.

The only problem with the NDSU football program is that it has 100 or so kids who are exceptionally gifted athletes who are a big deal and they know it. Some of them are not going to be very smart. Some of them are going to think that because they are talented they can get away with stuff.

Tell me more about what NDSU has or has not done regarding Lakes. Honestly, he makes some questionable decisions to say the least. How much of that stuff does NDSU know/care about?

On top of that, from what I heard they were not even acknowledged at the annual team banquet after the season. The charges happened after the season but before the banquet.

Oh my Gosh. Not the team banquet. Gosh....that really showed them!

KFGO's Mike McFeeley is telling his listeners that Bison fans shouldn't get mad at the Forum or any media for being referred to as ex-NDSU players as that is their identity in Fargo. Just as if they went to the NFL they would be labeled as former NDSU players. Take the good with the bad.

Awfully sympathetic and understanding to NDSU in your posts. Interesting.

WTF is your point with all these posts? Are all Sioux fans supposed to degrade and put down NDSU?

The petty BS between these two fan bases is pretty stupid in my eyes. I am a North Dakota sports fan, I pull for ND teams on the national stage. Sorry, if I don't meet your standards!

Not saying it was a huge deal but for a team to not even acknowledge their own players only a month or so after committing a serious offense is something, IMO. It was about the most a program can do to an ex-player. It was more than NDSU did to their current players when they torpedoed that ballot measure.

WTF is your point with all these posts? Are all Sioux fans supposed to degrade and put down NDSU?

The petty BS between these two fan bases is pretty stupid in my eyes. I am a North Dakota sports fan, I pull for ND teams on the national stage. Sorry, if I don't meet your standards!

You are that guy, huh? Cheer for both teams - whoever is playing on the national stage. Lame.

Awfully sympathetic and understanding to NDSU in your posts. Interesting.

What's more interesting is his post was neither sympathetic nor indicting. Apparently, objectivity isn't seen as a virtue around here.

You are that guy, huh? Cheer for both teams - whoever is playing on the national stage. Lame.

Yep, when it's UND vs NDSU I pull for the Sioux every time. When it's a ND team against the nation I pull for the ND team. Like I said sorry if I don't meet your standards!

I'm not about to throw comments towards NDSU for the actions of these former players. For one thing there really isn't anything that NDSU can do about it anyway. I'm sure NDSU and their fans are disappointed with these former players actions. The only reason this was front page material is due to NDSU's success on the field. NDSU football is huge in Fargo and the entire region, that helps sell the Forum when you can put those items in headlines. Yes, in my opinion NDSU should have handled the original situation and current players differently.

Another reason is UND has had it's share of bad apples over the years and there is no doubt in my mind that we will probably have more in the future. Schools deal with kids who make bad choices every year. You never hear about them unless they are athletes, that's why they are news worthy afterall. It's unfortunate that people make stupid mistakes, worse that they fail to learn from them!

It's unfortunate that the press always seems to print the bad stuff that people do and very little of the good things get any press at all. I know many student athletes who donate time to worthy causes that never have front page stories about it. Nature of the media I suppose. Not saying that this story should not have been printed, obviously it is news. It would be nice if they printed some of the good things athletes do off the field once in awhile though.

Actually, there is quite a bit of good reported on, written about and ballyhooed in the media, unfortunately, that is the stuff that you usually turn to your wife or husband after seeing it and say incredulously "That was news?" or "Why in the hell was that on the front page?" It's only the bad news that we really remember and start message board threads about that go well into 90 pages.

Tell me more about what NDSU has or has not done regarding Lakes. Honestly, he makes some questionable decisions to say the least. How much of that stuff does NDSU know/care about?

For some reason Lakes is still best buds with every player on the team and knows every new recruit the first day they set foot on campus. The guy is a Teammaker who constantly brags publicly about his access to players and recruits. If I were Bohl and Taylor I'd be doing whatever I could to keep my players and more importantly recruits away from him since he's just a bad incident waiting to happen.

To your second point, stripping a former player of his letter is not insignificant. It's probably the most significant punishment a program can dole out to a former player.

Actually, there is quite a bit of good reported on, written about and ballyhooed in the media, unfortunately, that is the stuff that you usually turn to your wife or husband after seeing it and say incredulously "That was news?" or "Why in the hell was that on the front page?" It's only the bad news that we really remember and start message board threads about that go well into 90 pages.

Your right. Those stories seem to get barried on the back page!

Those players were stripped of their letters and to my knowledge will not have them reinstated even though two of the three had the charges against them dismissed due to overzealous police work by the GFPD. NDSU has not doled out any punishment that is any ways comparable.

While I agree that Bohl and Taylor have no obligation to comment on these charges, I think this incident is indicative of a larger problem at NDSU. These players spent between 2-4 years in the NDSU football program and apparently lack any moral compass. On another board you have a booster who is now actively threatening a female reporter for simply doing her job and is encouraging others to harass and intimidate her. At one point does it become a lack of institutional control on NDSU's part. These players obviously felt they were above the law at NDSU and continue to think they are so. Lakesbison has been allowed to pursue all sorts of questionable and borderline criminal behaviors and yet he's received nothing in terms of sanction from the NDSU athletic department or from Teammakers. In my opinion, both are clear cases of an institution that's displaying a complete lack of institutional control over it's football program.

The point at which the NCAA sets the "lack of institutional control" bar is pretty high.

Since when do Fan Forums and Institutional Control have anything to do with each other? If stupid fans got athletic programs in trouble, we wouldn't have college sports, including sports at your school.

In the larger scheme of things, I can certainly see where college students would, in their minds, minimize the legal remifications of voter fraud where they were just trying to make a few bucks to collect some names. Certainly a dumb move, and poor judgement on thier part. While I'm sure there is now a whole semester course dedicated to "Voter Fraud Law" at UND's Law school, I can see where some kids from TX and FL maybe didn't take their punishment as seriously as they should have. It's not like they were contributing to underage drinking where kids were hospitalized, or dealing illegal drugs or anything.

You just keep making a big deal about this thread dedicated to NDSU. If it helps to keep football relavant at UND any negative UND topics buried deep for no one to see, all the better. Keep it going, you are almost to 100.

Since when do Fan Forums and Institutional Control have anything to do with each other? If stupid fans got athletic programs in trouble, we wouldn't have college sports, including sports at your school.

In the larger scheme of things, I can certainly see where college students would, in their minds, minimize the legal remifications of voter fraud where they were just trying to make a few bucks to collect some names. Certainly a dumb move, and poor judgement on thier part. While I'm sure there is now a whole semester course dedicated to "Voter Fraud Law" at UND's Law school, I can see where some kids from TX and FL maybe didn't take their punishment as seriously as they should have. It's not like they were contributing to underage drinking where kids were hospitalized, or dealing illegal drugs or anything.

You just keep making a big deal about this thread dedicated to NDSU. If it helps to keep football relavant at UND any negative UND topics buried deep for no one to see, all the better. Keep it going, you are almost to 100.

I have to agree with the Bison fans here. They have always said that they were dumb for doing it. I don't see them ragging on Gothberg for his second minor. Gothberg got his deferment the first time around. Since he has violated that deferment should he now get the full punishment? Not just for the second but both? Which means a $1000 fine and 30 days for the second. The deferred part of the $1000 for the first and 30 days, not to run concurrently.

From the NCAA Constitution. Check out 6.4.2 (b). I believe that Teammakers is a booster organization, all members are considered Representatives of Athletic Interests. Posters on fan forums could be considered Representatives of Athletic Interests under 6.4.2 (e). Schools are technically responsible for the actions of Representatives of Athletic Interests, it is considered part of Institutional Control. That's how NDSU becomes responsible for the actions of Lakes under Institutional Control. Those same Representatives of Athletic Interests can get a school in trouble for recruiting violations and for contacting student athletes, recruits or potential recruits.

CONSTITUTION, ARTICLE 6

Institutional Control

6.4 Responsibility For Actions of Outside Entities

6.4.1 Independent Agencies or Organizations.

An institution’s “responsibility” for the conduct of itsintercollegiate athletics program shall include responsibility for the acts of an independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization when a member of the institution’s executive or athletics administration, or an athletics department staff member, has knowledge that such agency, corporate entity or other organization is promoting the institution’s intercollegiate athletics program.

(Revised: 2/16/00)

6.4.2 Representatives of Athletics Interests.

An institution’s “responsibility” for the conduct of its intercollegiate athletics program shall include responsibility for the acts of individuals, a corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization when a member of the institution’s executive or athletics administration or an athletics department staff member has knowledge or should have knowledge that such an individual, corporate entity or other organization:

(Revised: 2/16/00)

(a) Has participated in or is a member of an agency or organization as described in Constitution 6.4.1;

(b) Has made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;

© Has been requested by the athletics department staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes or is assisting in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;

(d) Has assisted or is assisting in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes; or

(e) Is otherwise involved in promoting the institution’s athletics program.

6.4.2.1 Agreement to Provide Benefit or Privilege.

Any agreement between an institution (or any organization that promotes, assists or augments in any way the athletics interests of the member institution, including those identified per Constitution 6.4.1) and an individual who, for any consideration, is or may be entitled under the terms of the agreement to any benefit or privilege relating to the institution’s athletics program, shall contain a specific clause providing that any such benefit or privilege may be withheld if the individual has engaged in conduct that is determined to be a violation of NCAA legislation. The clause shall provide for the withholding of the benefit or privilege from a party to the agreement and any other person who may be entitled to a benefit or privilege under the terms of the agreement.

(Adopted: 1/10/95)

6.4.2.2 Retention of Identity as “Representative.”

Any individual participating in the activities set forth in Constitution 6.4.2 shall be considered a “representative of the institution’s athletics interests,” and once so

identified as a representative, it is presumed the person retains that identity.

So, your position is that college students from Florida and Texas aren't bright enough to take a court sentence seriously? Glad that you've got that on the record.

This thread would have far fewer pages if NDSU fans hadn't spent so much time defending the football players, saying that their crime wasn't so serious. Those posts encouraged UND fans to counter the NDSU posts. So you can blame yourself and your NDSU pals for the length of this thread.

• Upvote 2

For the amount of trouble the NDSU football team has been in the last few months that hasn't made the newspaper for both team violations and actual violations of the law, I don't think I'd be sitting too high on your pedestal...

You mean to tell me that some of these guys wouldn't even fill sandbags for the community that housed and fed them, and paid their tuition?

I'm guessing none of the fab four left with degrees.

As I've said on other occassions, the mistate concerns me but what comes after is what I'm interested in.

Clearly Gothberg et al learned nothing. I'm bitterly disappointed in that group.

And clearly these former NDSU footballers don't understand what a sweet deal they had from the court system ... key word being 'had'. Now I suspect a judge will 'offer' them an opportunity for a deeper understanding of what court imposed sentence means.

And somewhere the ND Sec of State and ND AG (the two who had to deal with petition-gate) just shake their heads and say ...

As I've said on other occassions, the mistate concerns me but what comes after is what I'm interested in.

Clearly Gothberg et al learned nothing. I'm bitterly disappointed in that group.

And clearly these former NDSU footballers don't understand what a sweet deal they had from the court system ... key word being 'had'. Now I suspect a judge will 'offer' them an opportunity for a deeper understanding of what court imposed sentence means.

And somewhere the ND Sec of State and ND AG (the two who had to deal with petition-gate) just shake their heads and say ...

They still are not going to get sheet.

Neither did Gothberg for that matter. I am still wondering who paid the lawyer. It cost me a little better than 2K to get my sort of niece a good plea bargain on a simple possession/paraphernalia charges. Had to put down a 3K retainer even. $250 an hour outside of court and $350 an hour in court. Billed in 15 minute increments. Why I told her don't call him let him call you. Each 5 minute phone call would have cost me $62.50.