SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

carter, good wieght size, but lacking height

dranka, saw this game already. he is a 4-3 de, not a 3-4 de (check out carrothers)

the linebacker for mehominee, he going to play olb, (finley, bennett, idowu last year)

cieslak, true tweener, not a de (ability) or dt (size), more effective in a 4-3 scheme i think (just my opinion)

Carter lacks height but not size. I feel like he'll be fine. Dranka is one I think should be an OLB for the reason you pointed out. He could be a DE on 3rd and long situations as a speed rusher. The OLB is '6'2"' at '210' he'll end up being big enough and clearly has great instincts. Ceislak will need a couple years to develop before we know what he can/should play. Regardless he's a big ND kid which is what we need more of. It's not like you're being unreasonable with these players but if you look at past years there were a ton of undersized under talented unmotivated players. Bottom line, if Bubba wants him I want him.

Carter lacks height but not size. I feel like he'll be fine. Dranka is one I think should be an OLB for the reason you pointed out. He could be a DE on 3rd and long situations as a speed rusher. The OLB is '6'2"' at '210' he'll end up being big enough and clearly has great instincts. Ceislak will need a couple years to develop before we know what he can/should play. Bottom line is he's a big ND kid which is what we need more of.

At 5'10" or 5'11", Carter will be fine. If Dranka gets up to 250 lbs, he'll play DE just fine. He wouldn't be best utilized at OLB - have to use his upper body strength at the line of scrimmage.

At 5'10" or 5'11", Carter will be fine. If Dranka gets up to 250 lbs, he'll play DE just fine. He wouldn't be best utilized at OLB - have to use his upper body strength at the line of scrimmage.

What id like to see is 230-240 lb OLBs that can move. That's why I wouldn't mind him at lb. He's probably a natural DE, if he can get big and strong enough then he will be a weapon.

Carter is 5'10" there's nothing wrong with that if he has good technique. I don't know if you know much about prototypical NFL measurables, but have you seen Brandon Flowers (Chiefs), Darelle Revis (Buccaneers), or Joe Haden (Browns); they're all 5'9" to 5'11" , so with that said, you're being nothing but unrealistically critical when saying Carter isn't tall enough.

Dranka has ability; he can play in a 3-4 at 250 lbs. You really don't understand defensive football that well, so let me tell you, a big part of defense is not the system being run (which, yes, is continuing with the 3-4 pressure scheme) but rather the timing of the plays called (when to pressure and how much) and the positioning of the players (put into the best spots to be successful). Bubba and Schmidt will bring defensive experience from the MVFC and get this thing rolling again.

And to say Cieslak doesn't have DE ability; you've got to be joking? Judging by your earlier analytics, I don't think you are capable of determining that.

You are trolling and, well, clueless.

carter- guys you just name, where did they go to school (really?!)

dranka- he is not 250, decent player, unfortunately siu hasnt been to the playoffs for 4 years (the first 2 years were different players)

cieslack - have to wait, cant help right now

Im being real, need better bodies for a better league

If I could make a perfect DL for our 3-4 it'd be a Schultz type nose with Brock Bellmore and Adam Wolf type ends. Strong as hell but athletic enough to make plays. We were set at nose until Edwards left. Cary will hopefully be a beast at either position. Cheatom almost seems more like a big DE than a true nose. Carothers hopefully will be big enough next year, he just wasn't strong enough last year. Cummings needs to lose weight and get athletic if possible..... Cox has a great frame, we'll see what he does with it. Woodsmall is a big boy but hasn't really shown much with his limited chances. Espinoza? Did he play at all last year? I honestly think Shea Walker would be a really good defensive lineman. He's shown it blocking kicks and on goal line defense. We have a few guys with potential with literally no proven studs..... A lot can change over a winter with the right work ethic and nutrition.

dranka- he is not 250, decent player, unfortunately siu hasnt been to the playoffs for 4 years (the first 2 years were different players)

Get back to us after the weekend. There are some big bodies coming in.

What is your angle with all the negativity towards the recruits? I guess I don't understand your point. Who do you think they should be bringing in?

Incorrect.

You obviously possess a stance that you will not budge on. I have a difficult time considering you a UND supporter/fan/alumni because you have yet to identify a single positive with the program.

I actually get the impression this guy is a former player/Muss supporter.... might even be Muss himself.

As far as saying Bubba is riding the recruiting coattails of the previous staff..... LOL. Muss sent out offers to EVERYBODY, making nobody feel like we were serious..... Bubba is a closer.

You're an Ag School supporter - now that we've established that, the point I was making on Chris Carter was not that he will be an all-pro CB in the NFL, but that he can be very successful in DI college football at that height if he has sound technique.

You're not a realist, you're a pessimist. Yes talent was lacking over the past couple seasons, but that wasn't the only problem. Leadership from the top needed to be much better, and I believe/hope Coach Schweigert will be much better in that department. Also, there are a lot of talented freshmen from last season that didn't see the field; they will help move the program with those "big-bodied physiques" you so desperately care for.

Dranka is 235, you don't think after a year of freshman weights you can't get up to 250? You're ridiculous.

I actually get the impression this guy is a former player/Muss supporter.... might even be Muss himself. I see CMSioux likes his posts, that's surprising :silly:

As far as saying Bubba is riding the recruiting coattails of the previous staff..... LOL. Muss sent out offers to EVERYBODY, making nobody feel like we were serious..... Bubba is a closer.

Hey I made a mistake with a rating - why call me out? My thoughts are that back in December many were sharing too much doom and gloom about this year's recruiting opportunities and class. Kids just don't have to make a decision that early and while I am very excited about the new football staff I think the doom and gloomers are now over the top with what a recruiting miracle has occured. I continue to be amazed at how many posters here that are UND fans question every decision and every move that the UND staff makes. It is certainly okay to question things but there is seldom kudos given or retractions made. I'm not a kool - aid drinker I just trust that UND is a quality institution and hires great people who know what they are doing. Plus I don't know what parameters they are working under, guess that's why I throw out so much fewer accuastions, questions and insults to their ability and integrity.

I'm at a loss as to why we didn't bring in a whole lot more recruits this weekend. Afterall, the weather was perfect and the hockey team was playing at the Ralph. It would seem like someone dropped the ball here, especially with signing day only 3 weeks away. I just hope we have enough interested guys with talent left to go after.

I said two months ago that recruiting was going to be the dark spot in our future and it sure looks like that's how it's playing out. I'm also going to repeat something else, you can have the best coaches in all of football, but they can't win if you don't have the talent.

There has to be a wholesale change in recruiting strategy next year. We can't just talk about getting these guys, we have to get them on campus and show them we are a serious football program, otherwise, the death spiral we are currently in will just go on and on, and I'm starting to believe it will. Four verbals so far when we need close to 25 with the grads and the defections.

Rant over.

Sorry to go back and dig up this one, but haven't heard from TRex since things started going better. Just curious as to his thoughts now. Not trying to start a pissing match but want to get a gloom and doomers perspective now that we've been seeing better results......

You're an Ag School supporter - now that we've established that, the point I was making on Chris Carter was not that he will be an all-pro CB in the NFL, but that he can be very successful in DI college football at that height if he has sound technique.

You're not a realist, you're a pessimist. Yes talent was lacking over the past couple seasons, but that wasn't the only problem. Leadership from the top needed to be much better, and I believe/hope Coach Schweigert will be much better in that department. Also, there are a lot of talented freshmen from last season that didn't see the field; they will help move the program with those "big-bodied physiques" you so desperately care for.

Dranka is 235, you don't think after a year of freshman weights you can't get up to 250? You're ridiculous.

I thought the freshmen we brought in last year are talented. so Im behind them 100%, but the simple fact is that recruit better than what you have, recruit better than what is in your 2 deep, and recruit for and where you are playing against. I just hope the guys we are getting understand who we are playing. Our conference recruits the most populated state in the country and we shy away from it!? We are in the midwest and I understand, but after the steady decline in the last few years, you have to change the mood. NDSU I give them credit, but if they were in our league I doubt they would make it through very easily. Plus they would be in the same boat as us as far as location. They benefit from being in a conference that in their geographic area and thats it. WE just have to not just harder but smarter. the only thing i know is that you cant be small, slow, and not physical. The players and coaches have pride and I think they will do a GREAT job in represent UND. I just think we need to step and look at it from a broad point a view with no bias. The simple fact is only 1 full time coach know the league better than coach freund and the big sky is a different beast that the missouri valley. Remember WE lost to SDSU last year only playing 2 quarters of football with a bunch of kids who were undersize and not very fast by 7. They finished 2nd in the MVC............

Bubba and his staff have exceeded everyone's expectations in recruiting so far. Amazing job considering the situation they were put in for timing.

However I still maintain that having December to bring kids in would have made a huge difference in the quality of an already good class.

It could have, should have and would have been better. I'm not really sure how there is an argument otherwise.

• Upvote 1

I thought the freshmen we brought in last year are talented. so Im behind them 100%, but the simple fact is that recruit better than what you have, recruit better than what is in your 2 deep, and recruit for and where you are playing against. I just hope the guys we are getting understand who we are playing. Our conference recruits the most populated state in the country and we shy away from it!? We are in the midwest and I understand, but after the steady decline in the last few years, you have to change the mood. NDSU I give them credit, but if they were in our league I doubt they would make it through very easily. Plus they would be in the same boat as us as far as location. They benefit from being in a conference that in their geographic area and thats it. WE just have to not just harder but smarter. the only thing i know is that you cant be small, slow, and not physical. The players and coaches have pride and I think they will do a GREAT job in represent UND. I just think we need to step and look at it from a broad point a view with no bias. The simple fact is only 1 full time coach know the league better than coach freund and the big sky is a different beast that the missouri valley. Remember WE lost to SDSU last year only playing 2 quarters of football with a bunch of kids who were undersize and not very fast by 7. They finished 2nd in the MVC............

I can't decide if you're a NDSU fan posing as a UND fan, someone from the Mussman regime, or a UND fan that is vying to be the most pessimistic fan on this forum.

Wow. After the first sentence it was just typing.

I line what we are recruiting. We aren't getting a roster full of west or east coast kids for that matter coming to UND. Midwest kids will do fine in this conference if the coaches develop them and get them to play fundamentally sound.

Looks like we found our long snapper maybe in Jacob Holman. Chauncey Bridges look likes a nice project at corner. And I love that we are getting competition at all positions like punter and kicker. Give Levi hoiby a year or two with Nate he will be an interesting player on our D-Line.

Looks like we found our long snapper maybe in Jacob Holman. Chauncey Bridges look likes a nice project at corner. And I love that we are getting competition at all positions like punter and kicker. Give Levi hoiby a year or two with Nate he will be an interesting player on our D-Line.

Holmen was in Fargo last weekend. He would be a walk-on at NDSU, and I'm guessing the same is true for UND. He may have some options to play tight end at some NAIA schools.

Holmen was in Fargo last weekend. He would be a walk-on at NDSU, and I'm guessing the same is true for UND. He may have some options to play tight end at some NAIA schools.

Do you know if NDSU has a long snapper? I just know it was a little iffy last year for us up here.