SiouxSports.com Forum

Douple

GeauxSioux

Has anyone read the post over at www.sayanythingblog.com regarding Douple and Bresciani? Rob Port is trying to once again say that UND (Kelley) was complicit in getting Douple to say something against UND due to the nickname issue.

It seems Bresciani gave Douple a bad report card. Douple went through the SUU president to find out who gave the bad report.

>>> Tom Douple < <mailto:douple@thesummitleague.org>douple@thesummitleague.org <mailto:douple@thesummitleague.org> >Thanks, That is who I suspected, I was the spokesperson for the league onthe logo issue with UND and it got alot of coverage in north Dakota. I willalso need to bring him up to date on our summit plan strategic planningefforts. Will work on those issues. Thanks again. TomSent from my iPhone

On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:46 PM, "Michael Benson" <Benson@suu.edu<mailto:Benson@suu.edu> > wrote:Tom:Dean from NDSU but you did not hear this from me.Best,MikeMichael T. BensonPresident and Professor of Political ScienceSouthern Utah University351 West University Blvd.Cedar City, UT 84720Tel 435-586-7702Fax 435-586-5475<mailto:benson@suu.edu>benson@suu.edu <mailto:benson@suu.edu

>>>> Tom Douple <douple@thesummitleague.org<mailto:douple@thesummitleague.org> > 6/21/2011 9:35 PM >>> At first that is who I thought it was, but he did not fill one out ashe was out of the country.Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 21, 2011, at 11:31 PM, "Michael Benson" <<mailto:Benson@suu.edu> Benson@suu.edu <mailto:Benson@suu.edu> > wrote:You bet, Tom. I'll have to go back and see who it was. I honestlydon't remember. If I were a betting man, however, I would say it'sWartell. He's always the contrarian.Best,MikeMichael T. BensonPresident and Professor of Political ScienceSouthern Utah University351 West University Blvd.Cedar City, UT 84720Tel 435-586-7702Fax 435-586-5475<mailto:benson@suu.edu> <mailto:benson@suu.edu>benson@suu.edu <mailto:benson@suu.edu

>>>> Tom Douple < <mailto:douple@thesummitleague.org>douple@thesummitleague.org <mailto:douple@thesummitleague.org> >6/21/2011 9:28 PM >>>Dr. Benson,Thanks for the email and your support and guidance. Looking forwardto the upcoming year with SUU. I reviewed the individual reviewforms you gave me and there is one president who had a number of comments such as " bring media attention to himself", knows very little about my staff and " don't have a sense of vision or direction". Clearly I need to do a better job of communication withthis president. Could you let me know which president Filled outthat review so I can improve my communication and get him to meetmore of my staff. Thanks,TomSent from my iPhone

What I have never understood about all of this is, if Kelley was buddy buddy with Douple and getting him to help UND get rid of the name and get UND into the Summit, why would he cancel the impending Summit visit days before it was supposed to happen and accept the Big Sky invitation? That never has made any sense to me.

Edited by GeauxSioux

Has anyone read the post over at www.sayanythingblog.com regarding Douple and Bresciani? Rob Port is trying to once again say that UND (Kelley) was complicit in getting Douple to say something against UND due to the nickname issue.

It seems Bresciani gave Douple a bad report card. Douple went through the SUU president to find out who gave the bad report.

What I have never understood about all of this is, if Kelley was buddy buddy with Douple and getting him to help UND get rid of the name and get UND into the Summit, why would he cancel the impending Summit visit days before it was supposed to happen and accept the Big Sky invitation? That never has made any sense to me.

What a gong show! There's a lot of revisionist history taking place over on that blog, reference the thread you point out.

When UND had an offer to the Big Sky the Summit was of little importance. The Summit didn't offer football. There was no need wasting everyones time. We foremost needed a home for football. As far as Douple is concerned if any more teams bolt from the Summit, Douple will be looking for a new job.

• Upvote 2

Since this comes from Rob Port I have serious doubts about the validity of the statements made. Plus it seems that it can be interpreted differently, so whatever.

I guess you didn’t get the memo that is being passed around that Rob Port is the smartest guy in the room and who are we to question Mr. Port and his blog posts. #sarcasm

I guess you didn’t get the memo that is being passed around that Rob Port is the smartest guy in the room and who are we to question Mr. Port and his blog posts. #sarcasm

Well, he certainly seems to have a few followers on this forum. Which isn't saying much ...

• Upvote 2

The Summit didn't look nearly as attractive once the Big Sky approached UND. It's like being engaged to Phyllis Diller and then all of a sudden Mila Kunis says she'd like to marry you.

While I'd like to believe that there were no back door shenanigans going on with the UND administration, I've talked to enough people to give me reason to question what was really happening. As with any far left liberal cause, they just keep at it until they wear people down and too much water gets passed under the bridge to turn it back. That's what's happened here, it's far past the time to get it turned back. There was way too much incompetence from the North Dakota delegation. Then, when you're dealing with elitist academics and you have an administration that would prefer to "scrub" the name from the university, there isn't much hope. Especially when your elected officials and Attorney General choose to surrender and bend over for the NCAA.

We all know that politicians are liers and Joe Chapman showed us that university presidents aren't above lying. Some are just smarter liers than others. Joe turned out to be one of the dumber ones. It would really be nice to get them all on a lie detector to see who is telling the truth. I'm not going to just choose to fall into line with the academic leaders of our beloved university and blindly discard any red flags that have popped up over the last 4 years.

When UND had an offer to the Big Sky the Summit was of little importance. The Summit didn't offer football. There was no need wasting everyones time. We foremost needed a home for football. As far as Douple is concerned if any more teams bolt from the Summit, Douple will be looking for a new job.

I understand the part about a home for the football team and the Big Sky was a much more attractive invitation, but if Kelley and Douple were as complicit in back room conversations as some are alluding, it would seem to me that Kelley would also be working back room deals with the Douple for the Summit/MVFC. Sica has it right.... how could Kelley have been so powerful as to be directing the Summit (Douple) what to say?

• 2 weeks later...

NDSU president dinged league’s commisioner in eval

It was January 2011 when Summit League Commissioner Tom Douple said it was University of North Dakota officials, not the league, who asked that retirement of the Fighting Sioux moniker be required for league membership.

Douple’s comment kicked up a dust-storm in an already stormy debate: Could UND officials themselves be crafting a narrative that would cause even ardent nickname supporters to abandon their cause?

UND President Robert Kelley adamantly denied Douple’s claim, and Douple never spoke about it again.

When asked this week about last summer’s evaluation of Douple, Bresciani said his criticism was driven by Douple publicly weighing in on the UND nickname matter.

“It was during the heated exchange with the UND logo and he (Douple) got involved,” Bresciani said. “I don’t see why he got involved. I was trying to protect UND a little bit.”

UND ultimately joined the Big Sky Conference, just a few days after declining a Summit invite for a site visit. Douple has also moved on from the UND-Summit tussle.

Asked about Bresciani’s review of a year ago, Douple said through an assistant: “No comment.”

Connecting some dots here, Douple claims he was the spokesperson for the league on the UND logo issue. So if Bresciani didn't see why Douple got involved, it kind of blows a hole in Douple's statement that UND was asking him to do it.

Douple is now commish of the Summit through 2017.

Two words.... BIg Sky!!

NDSU president dinged league’s commisioner in eval

“I don’t see why he got involved. I was trying to protect UND a little bit.”

Bresciani was protecting UND??? Why? Did he want UND to someday join the league? Or did he want to keep a civil friendship with the other DI school in the state? Does anyone know what kind of relationship Bresciani and Kelley have? 2 presidents that weren't there when NDSU moved up. So I wouldn't think it would be that rocky.

Bresciani was protecting UND??? Why? Did he want UND to someday join the league? Or did he want to keep a civil friendship with the other DI school in the state? Does anyone know what kind of relationship Bresciani and Kelley have? 2 presidents that weren't there when NDSU moved up. So I wouldn't think it would be that rocky.

I don't know what type of relationship they have but Bresciani has always come across as a first rate guy. He has stood up for what he feels is best for ndsu and has done a good job there. He has been a good president and I don't see any reason not to believe him. The only people who believed Douple when everything came out were the few bison fans on this site and Star. Everyone else was in the same belief as bin's quote a couple above this one.

All reports I've heard say that the 2 Presidents get along well. Bresciani works for the same board as Kelley, so it would make some sense that he protected a fellow employee. Especially if he believed that Kelley wasn't at fault.