SiouxSports.com Forum

Measure 4 tv ad

darell1976

Like I mentioned in another forum, I heard something that I hadn't heard before when I was in the western part of the state this weekend:

Some out west are viewing Measure 4 as a referendum on Al Carlson and voting "Yes" is their way of giving a "no confidence" vote toward Carlson.

• Upvote 1

No, scheduling is a contract of consent between two agreeable parties: it takes two to tango.

UND would be an agreeable party to MInnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa; however, those three will never be the second party to North Dakota as long as UND is under NCAA sanctions for the moniker.

The point is that NDSU does not have the upper hand in scheduling Minnesota. It is reverse. As it is with any potential game between Minnesota and UND.

Like I mentioned in another forum, I heard something that I hadn't heard before when I was in the western part of the state this weekend:

Some out west are viewing Measure 4 as a referendum on Al Carlson and voting "Yes" is their way of giving a "no confidence" vote toward Carlson.

I like that, and hope that people continue to push that idea. If I lived in Carlson's district I would strongly consider helping put together a recall effort to get him out of the Legislature.
  • Upvote 1

I like that, and hope that people continue to push that idea. If I lived in Carlson's district I would strongly consider helping put together a recall effort to get him out of the Legislature.

I live in Carlson's district and have tried to contact him by phone and e-mail about his thoughts on his law and the topic in general. My neighbors have as well and all of us are still waiting to hear from him. As residents in his district, I feel that he should be able to share how his meeting with the NCAA went before the upcoming vote. I have also contacted Heitcamp and asked him to have Carlson or Dalrymple on before the vote. I feel its important for the voters of North Dakota to have a chance to revisit how this meeting went. Its funny that for some reason Al won't respond to these requests.

I feel that if a radio station or newspaper would want to write a good story, now would be a great time to revisit that 15 minute meeting with the NCAA. The leadership who met with the NCAA reversed their decision to put the law in place so fast after they returned the NCAA obviously made it pretty clear they weren't budging and had a pretty good reason not to. I don't see any radio or newspaper having enough balls to write that article though and ask the tough questions unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

I live in Carlson's district and have tried to contact him by phone and e-mail about his thoughts on his law and the topic in general. My neighbors have as well and all of us are still waiting to hear from him. As residents in his district, I feel that he should be able to share how his meeting with the NCAA went before the upcoming vote. I have also contacted Heitcamp and asked him to have Carlson or Dalrymple on before the vote. I feel its important for the voters of North Dakota to have a chance to revisit how this meeting went. Its funny that for some reason Al won't respond to these requests.

I feel that if a radio station or newspaper would want to write a good story, now would be a great time to revisit that 15 minute meeting with the NCAA. The leadership who met with the NCAA reversed their decision to put the law in place so fast after they returned the NCAA obviously made it pretty clear they weren't budging and had a pretty good reason not to. I don't see any radio or newspaper having enough balls to write that article though and ask the tough questions unfortunately.

Carlson still believes that the NCAA is going to back down if the voters approve keeping the name, at least that's the impression that he has given during interviews recently. He has bragged about signing the petitions. He thinks it is right to "show the NCAA". He is either ignoring the meeting they had with the NCAA, or else it is part of his plan to dismantle the State Board of Higher Education. My bet is that he is trying to push the SBoHE into a corner. Hopefully the voters will see through him and vote Yes on Measure 4.

Second, you say catsup I say ketchup. Semantics.

You just proved yourself wrong. You can say Ketchup and we'll say catsup, but it still all tastes the same. You can change the name and product stays the same.

I'm SO glad you pointed that out.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, Dave, you can't dig yourself out of this hole. You make a bold statement, you have to be able to back it up. You made a bold statement and it was proven false. No matter how much you try to wiggle out of it, everyone on this forum that has read your statement knows that you are trying to talk out of both sides of your face.

And as I stated, it is obvious that the Committee was trying to make a point by referring to the NDSU program as a whole, not limiting themselves to a single season. No one in the Big 10 schedules all of the teams in the conference. So saying that NDSU has not scheduled Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa this coming season is a meaningless statement. Michigan probably doesn't play all 3 this season. Now you have expanded the possibilities for the press release to include either they made a completely false statement on purpose, they didn't know enough to do their research, or they made a meaningless statement to mislead voters. All 3 of these possibilities show the lengths that the Committee will go to. Good to know that you will stand with those trying to bamboozle the voters.

That's not what I was referring to, and I think you're smart enough to know that.

Yup.

Same product.

The same.

Exactly.

No difference.

None, whatsoever.

So, let me demonstrate:

556px-University_of_North_Dakota_logo_-_interlocking_ND.svg.png - fighting-sioux-logo.jpg

=556px-University_of_North_Dakota_logo_-_interlocking_ND.svg.png

Yup. Same. Same teams. Same athletes. Same tradition. Just minus the Sioux name. But, they get a level playing field without it.

Vote yes, y'all!

• Upvote 3

There is no hole to dig out of. You are twisted and distorting things to fit your little idea of what you think should be. You are 100% in the wrong.

I have showed you 2 different statements that you made. Your statements, not mine. You keep telling us that they mean the same thing. Everyone that understands English knows that they don't. But we would love to find these schools without athletics. Let us know when you find them.

I was referring to whether NDSU schedules Minnesota or Minnesota schedules NDSU. Either way it's the same thing. The UND Fighting Sioux and the UND (fill in our choice of pathetic new nickname here) are two different things.

Why can't you actually say what you mean? Again you are trying to explain yourself. Again, words have meanings. Use the words. Don't keep throwing trash at the wall trying to make something stick.

You're blind if you can't tell the difference.

They don't look exactly the same, but they represent the same school, and the same team. The difference is that one of them would keep UND on sanctions through eternity if the athletic department can survive in some form. The other one allows UND to compete without restrictions. That looks like an easy choice. I vote for the interlocking ND.

First, dropping athletics and the name means that I won't have to see a UND team by any other name.

Second, you say catsup I say ketchup. Semantics.

I am finally convinced......greatest internet troll of all time!

.......absolutely no way any one person can be this dense.

• Upvote 1

Please folks, lay off of Dave K. There is no way he is going to understand logic or cause and effect. Why he isn't taking his argument to the Standing Rock council where everything hit the fan is the biggest question.

Now, about the wording of the measure, how about: Vote No to keep the Sioux, vote YES to keep the U.

I am finally convinced....greatest internet troll of all time.....no way nayone can be this dumb.

But Petey! That is the whole point. There is an extreme lack of brain material and a love of negative attention that brings Dave back over and over again. And the regulars on the board keep feeding him. (guess I am too now). Can't wait for June 13th!

They don't look exactly the same, but they represent the same school, and the same team. The difference is that one of them would keep UND on sanctions through eternity if the athletic department can survive in some form. The other one allows UND to compete without restrictions. That looks like an easy choice. I vote for the interlocking ND.

The other difference is that you can't have Sioux without UND. But, you can have UND without Sioux. One supersedes the other. And it ain't the Sioux name that supersedes UND!

Let me make this perfectly clear to you : I don't want to ever see a UND team with a nickname other than Sioux, Fighting Sioux, Spirit Lake Sioux, or some other variation of Sioux. I would rather they not have a team anymore than to have a team by a different name, therefore I am voting NO. Do you understand or should I draw a picture for you?

We understand. You're nuts!

Good thing you weren't POTUS during the day of mutual assured destruction!

Let me make this perfectly clear to you : I don't want to ever see a UND team with a nickname other than Sioux, Fighting Sioux, Spirit Lake Sioux, or some other variation of Sioux. I would rather they not have a team anymore than to have a team by a different name, therefore I am voting NO. Do you understand or should I draw a picture for you?

I would like to lock you in a room with all the current UND athletes and have you repeat those statements.

I bet they would be understanding to your stance.

• Upvote 1

I would like to lock you in a room with all the current UND athletes and have you repeat those statements.

I bet they would be understanding to your stance.

When you think about it, they (the UND athletes) are the only ones who are the "Fighting Sioux". I would bet that if they took a vote on the name, it would almost be unanimous in retiring it.

It is perfectly clear that you are fixated on the nickname and logo. You put your wants above everyone else on the planet. That has been apparent for years. It doesn't matter what you want, someday you will see a UND team without a nickname. If by some chance it stays through the election, the Supreme Court will probably get rid of it, or the Legislature can get rid of it by overriding the vote. The nickname and logo will be retired sooner or later. Is that clear enough for you?

One of them was a sentence that you took out of context and the other one was a true statement made by the Committee for Understanding and Respect. I never offered to give any examples of schools without athletics, so stop trying to twist what I said into something that it never was.

The sentence wasn't taken out of context. Everyone else on the board seems to have taken it the same way I did. You are just trying to wiggle out of a false statement. And the other statement is as I said, either a blatant lie or a bad mistake. Both of them show how little the Committee can be trusted.

Do you even know what "out of context" means? You took one sentence out of an entire paragraph, removed the rest of the paragraph and focused all of your attention only on that one sentence alone. By definition, that is out of context. I already explained to multiple times you how the other statement is true. I can't help it if you're too dense (or stubborn) to comprehend.

But, Dave, it wasn't out of context. Here is the entire paragraph. No where does it even infer that your point was that you don't need an athletic department to have a quality education. That might have been on your mind, but it wasn't what you wrote. Your statement was trying to prove your point that UND should just drop athletics since "some of the finest colleges don't have sports". That statement is wrong. It was proven. Just admit it.

I get most of what you're saying but not the "best for everyone involved" part. How exactly is it best for everyone involved? It's not like student-athletes don't have choices to attend other schools, nobody is going to force them to come to North Dakota. The school could make a very big statement by just dropping athletics altogether and moving on as an institution of higher education. Some of the finest colleges in the country don't have sports.

If people here weren't so challenged in their reading comprehension skills I wouldn't have to constantly say "that's not what I meant".

It's funny that multiple people challenge your statements, but it is all of those people's problem with reading comprehension and not your writing skills.

Yeah, and multiple people challenged Christopher Columbus when he said the earth is round (not flat). Just because multiple people are on the same page in a particular line of thinking does not mean that they are right.

:lol:

Did you really just compare yourself to Christopher Columbus??