SiouxSports.com Forum

Neutral Site games

darell1976

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Wood_Field

Howard Wood Field is a stadium in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, constructed in 1957.[1] Holding 10,000 people, it is one of the premier American football and track facilities in the region. Field turf was installed to replace the natural grass after a renovation project in 2003.[2]

Don't you normally pick a neutral site game because the neutral site has a larger capacity than the normal field used by the home team?

You'll never see a UND v NDSU neutral site game in Mayville for instance.

Years ago UND played some games against Montana State in Billings and some games against Montana at Great Falls if I remember correctly.

I think the question they have to ask themselves is: What is our end-game?

If your goal is to capture the Sioux Falls market and the alumni who live there, are you hoping Sioux Falls natives get a taste of the product and commit to making the 60 mile drive to Vermillion in a few years? They've already shown they aren't willing to do that now. Will that change in a few year? Who knows.

On the other hand, if the end-game has them making this a tradition then I think it is a good idea.

If the first of these two is true, I think USD is setting themselves up for failure and setting a dangerous precedent for the alumni and people of Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls natives will be thinking if USD will do it this year why don't we just continue to not drive 60 miles to Vermillion to watch this team, make them come to us.

I think the fact remains that if you can't get "loyal" fans to drive 60 miles for a game on a Saturday, they aren't very committed and probably aren't going to be huge donors anyway.

I don't understand USD's thinking on this one. Seems like the stadiums are roughly the same size, and they just moved it closer to NDSU, who is probably going to bring even more people now. I also just have a feeling that NDSU is probably going to drop the hammer on USD (as hard as that is to admit) so if they are moving it to Sioux Falls for boosters to watch it, I just have a feeling they are going to see a USD team get beat in a stadium that has a ton on Bison fans in it.... Doesn't seem to make sense...

Is there any talk about the game being played in Sioux Falls in the years to come?

I don't understand USD's thinking on this one. Seems like the stadiums are roughly the same size, and they just moved it closer to NDSU, who is probably going to bring even more people now. I also just have a feeling that NDSU is probably going to drop the hammer on USD (as hard as that is to admit) so if they are moving it to Sioux Falls for boosters to watch it, I just have a feeling they are going to see a USD team get beat in a stadium that has a ton on Bison fans in it.... Doesn't seem to make sense...

Is there any talk about the game being played in Sioux Falls in the years to come?

I, as a Bison fan, like the idea. A.) For me, its closer to Fargo!. But most importantly, B.) They are making an effort to capture the Sioux Falls market. If it works for them, great. If it doesn't, they are no worse off than they were before.

I, as a Bison fan, like the idea. A.) For me, its closer to Fargo!. But most importantly, B.) They are making an effort to capture the Sioux Falls market. If it works for them, great. If it doesn't, they are no worse off than they were before.

Oh yeah, I would think that Bison fans would be very excited about this move. Just seems odd to me. It would be like UND playing last years USD game in Fargo... Doesn't seem to gain much for USD

If it is a non conference game like some have pointed out USD will not see much in terms of instant gratification. However I believe they are vying to be "the" football team in the state so if they can achieve more marketability and buzz with this game it will gain them the name recognition that they are looking for.

Now it will take some time for the above theory to play out, but you play that first game to create that buzz; then repeat yearly. I think it is a good move on their part. If Bismarck had a respectable stadium a game there against South Dakota State would be great; but just not in the cards for us at this point.