SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Kelling Gone?

skeletor_24

Any thoughts on who is going to be joining the staff.. I believe that they two positions to fill

I did see a particularily dark and jacked man hanging around Kotelnicki and the linebackers at the practice I watched. There was also a different guy with the TE's alot bigger than Schleusner (however you spell that). No idea who either of them were.

Any thoughts on who is going to be joining the staff.. I believe that they two positions to fill

I would guess / and hope that Danny Fruend would fill one position as WR Coach and then maybe hire someone after Spring Bal for the remaining open position.

Would also like to say THANK YOU! To Coach Kelling (JK) for all his time, efforts, and dedication to the UND program. I will miss him and his wife Megan (UND Womens Hoops).Nice people and Good Friends....Good Luck at Mary!

Why would you move down from a DI coordinator job to a DII coordinator? Something else going on?

Yes. He was far from being the "coordinator" the last two years. At the end he was only coaching safeties with Bennie Boyd coaching corners and Mike Mannausau being the full time D-Coordinator. I am sure these changes are what led him to want a fresh start. He put in a lot of good years at UND and hopefully he can get Mary's defense playing better as they have struggled lately.

Yes. He was far from being the "coordinator" the last two years. At the end he was only coaching safeties with Bennie Boyd coaching corners and Mike Mannausau being the full time D-Coordinator. I am sure these changes are what led him to want a fresh start. He put in a lot of good years at UND and hopefully he can get Mary's defense playing better as they have struggled lately.

Be careful UND-1 or you'll get called out by the "duckie and bunny" police for being too negative and talking about things that are "none of your business". :silly:

Seriously though, I agree with you. It was a change that is best for both coach and program. Mannausau, now that he has some talent to work with, should do a fine job of getting this unit back to what it was in the 1990's and 2000's.

• Upvote 2

Someone could ask Ben Jacobson how he is doing..?, gave up a paying Asst Job at UND for a part time (lower paying) Asst at Wayne State with Greg McDermott, he did come back to UND for a time and then moved to NDSU with Greg, before UNI....

Point is sometimes you need to take a step sideways or back to realize your Dreams......

Kelling seems like a great guy. But the fact is that the defense regressed every season since he was named co-coordinator. Specifically, the part of the defense that he has been in charge of has had a severe defect for the last five years. In the same time-frame, co-coordinator Mannasau's front seven has continually improved over the last several years.

I like the idea of having one guy in charge of the defense.....................

• Upvote 2

Don't know who they have hired, but I think a guy that deserves a little more mention might be kotelnicki. If you're going to talk about the front 7 I think you have to include him. His name hasn't been brought up a lot when talking about the defense because everybody associates him with the special teams but from what I've heard he did coach all 4 LBs last year and they certainly looked a lot better this year than in any year in recent memory. I also watched his interview on the LBs from wednesday and I just like the guy....seems like there is a lot of substance to him. I think he might be one of the more valuable coaches on the staff.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

"In addition to the new staff members, I wanted to reward some current guys for their hard work and I've given Josh Kotelnicki the title of assistant head coach and elevated Mike Mannausau to associate head coach," Mussman said.

Not surprised in the least at Mannausau getting the Associate HC title. He's earned it.

A little surprised at the Assistant HC title for Kotelnicki, but then again, he's done more than enough with the special teams to ... {rest of post blocked by Kotelnicki's special teams unit, heck, they block everything else kicked their way :D }

Not surprised in the least at Mannausau getting the Associate HC title. He's earned it.

A little surprised at the Assistant HC title for Kotelnicki, but then again, he's done more than enough with the special teams to ... {rest of post blocked by Kotelnicki's special teams unit, heck, they block everything else kicked their way :D }

So in theory is there a pecking order between “Associate HC” and “Assistant HC”?

About as confusing as bank VP’s titles.

So, If I read that correctly, it's (going top down by title):

Mussman - HC

Mannausau - Associate HC, Defensive Coord

Kotelnicki - Assistant HC, Special Teams Coord

Breitbach - Assistant Coach, Offensive Coord

then Boyd, Freund, Schleusser, Richter, Nurse, and Myers as Assistant Coaches.