SiouxSports.com Forum

#1 Sioux vs. #4 Western Michigan

brianvf

Wasn't trying to be off-putting, my apologies.

No need to apologize. You were right. I had just been corrected on the number of MacNaughton Cups we had. The wikipedia site says we have 15. USCHO shows us for 15 conference titles, so I assumed it was 15 MacNaugtons. Apparently, it's not. Somebody corrected me on the USCHO board, so I was feeling a little bit thin skinned.

:)

I started watching the Sioux in 1981, so I wasn't around in the early years. Can somebody explain to me why there were tournament co-champions in the early years of the WCHA? It skew the number of conference titles for Denver and Minnesota compared to us--as they won a majority of their conference tourney titles in those early years. We won a majority when there was only one tournament champion.

I like the way that he stated, we are not thinking of minnesota, we play western michigan sat. If you look ahead to sunday you will lose on saturday. I truly hope this team plays a one game at a time tournement. For all you UND fans that are going to be at the game, yell out a Sioux Yeah Yeah for me and my wife.

This game IMO comes down to discipline...if UND stays out of the box, I think they roll. 5v5 hockey will be key for UND. UND's top line is superior in talent and should have a big impact on this game. Dell will be steady if not great. 4-2 Sioux is my call with WMU scoring late to make it look closer than it is. If UND throws in 4 straight penalties to start the game like they did vs. the Gophs last week, all bets are off.

This game IMO comes down to discipline...if UND stays out of the box, I think they roll. 5v5 hockey will be key for UND. UND's top line is superior in talent and should have a big impact on this game. Dell will be steady if not great. 4-2 Sioux is my call with WMU scoring late to make it look closer than it is. If UND throws in 4 straight penalties to start the game like they did vs. the Gophs last week, all bets are off.

According to USCHO, WMU has arguably one of the top lines in the nation...I think that'd be a tough argument to win

According to USCHO, WMU has arguably one of the top lines in the nation...I think that'd be a tough argument to win

Well...then I better change my plans and not head to the X. :huh:

I guess we'll see. I haven't missed many games this season, either live, TV or webcast, and I can count on one hand where UND's top line wasn't the best line on the ice for that particular game. One line doesn't make a team, and regardless of what USCHO says I'd be suprised if UND's top line didn't ouplay WMU's top line tomorrow.

Well...then I better change my plans and not head to the X. :huh:

I guess we'll see. I haven't missed many games this season, either live, TV or webcast, and I can count on one hand where UND's top line wasn't the best line on the ice for that particular game. One line doesn't make a team, and regardless of what USCHO says I'd be suprised if UND's top line didn't ouplay WMU's top line tomorrow.

Yeah I feel the same way. I just hadn't heard much at all about their top line until that point. Don't think they score a lot of goals or anything (not that that is the only important thing) but our top line brings it most every night

Went to the open practice today down at the X...my 4 year old son got a puck from Coach Eades, he was pumped!

No Sioux logos anywhere in sight, practice jerseys just had 'North Dakota' on them...team still looked pretty good though :)

Many Sioux fans there?

Nope, just a few...saw Guentzel checking out the other teams practices...I'm guessing most teams aren't putting in new schemes during the open practice at the regionals so there's not a lot to see...

No need to apologize. You were right. I had just been corrected on the number of MacNaughton Cups we had. The wikipedia site says we have 15. USCHO shows us for 15 conference titles, so I assumed it was 15 MacNaugtons. Apparently, it's not. Somebody corrected me on the USCHO board, so I was feeling a little bit thin skinned.

:)

I started watching the Sioux in 1981, so I wasn't around in the early years. Can somebody explain to me why there were tournament co-champions in the early years of the WCHA? It skew the number of conference titles for Denver and Minnesota compared to us--as they won a majority of their conference tourney titles in those early years. We won a majority when there was only one tournament champion.

Back in the day, the tourneys existed to get the two eastern and two western teams for the Frozen Four. So the WCHA just played off enough to get those teams. The champion of the league was the regular season champion.

T minus 90 minutes before we leave to drive down to the X. Can't wait!

After following yesterday's games...who knows what to expect?

I mentioned it in an earlier post. It used to be a top seed dominated tournament, but now any game is a toss up. Michigan....done. Miami....done. Would not be surprised in the least bit if two #1 seeds fell today (hopefully not the #1 seed I'm cheering for :blush: )

I mentioned it in an earlier post. It used to be a top seed dominated tournament, but now any game is a toss up. Michigan....done. Miami....done. Would not be surprised in the least bit if two #1 seeds fell today (hopefully not the #1 seed I'm cheering for :blush: )

In the last 14 opening round games for #1 vs #4 seeds (so since 2009), the games have split 7-7. If that trend continues, only one of BC and UND will move on, and I don't like our chances as much as BC. Air Force is always a tough out though too.

Pretty close on the UND game. Hope you are "almost" right on the next game too. Perhaps just the wrong team on the winning end?

I feel pretty good about my earlier prediction. The game basically played out as a 3-2 game either way, just that UND got a fortunate bounce on the Knight goal and WMU had one waved off (correctly, but it's a game of inches..)

And I really do believe that Minnesota advances from the late game. It could take 4 overtimes, though.. :bigsmile:

Dave