SiouxSports.com Forum

Digger Anderson

fightingsioux4life

I think if Digger Anderson doesn't get First-Team All-American Honors this year, something is wrong. He was one of the few bright spots last year and is already the best linebacker on the team as a sophmore. He'll go down as one of the best linebackers to ever play for the Sioux, and that's saying a lot considering how many great ones have played here. Every week, Digger makes a play that makes a difference in the game (i.e. stopping Rob Malone on 4th and inches in overtime). I remember Mark Callahan, one of our best D-Linemen ever, getting 2nd and 3rd teamed to death when it came to All-American honors. I hope that doesn't happen to Digger. He's as good as they come.

Digger is definately one of the best in D2. He must not have done that great @ Coon Rapids because, that being a major program in the Twin Cities, if he made noise then surely the Gophers would have at least asked him to walk-on.

I always love to see kids, who might not have gotten a lot of attention from the bigger schools, turn into great players at the D2 level.

bison1234: just thought you would like to know how anderson did at coon rapids , also includes AP first team all-state :silly:

Before UND: A 2001 Coon Rapids High School graduate ... HS teammate of Sioux returnman Jamel Alkins ... Three-year letterman ... Two-year all-conference player ... Defensive MVP as junior and senior ... Team MVP as senior ... Northwest Suburban Conference defensive MVP ... Star Tribune and KARE-11 first team all-metro ... St. Paul Pioneer Press first team all-state ... Had 280 total tackles (160 unassisted, 120 assisted) as senior ... Career stats: 449 total tackles, four fumble recoveries, five quarterback sacks ... Holds school records in points, single-season & career solo and assisted tackles ... Three-year hockey and four-year track letterman ... National Honor Society Member.

Not sure where to put this, so I'll throw it with the amazing stats. The Heraldo mentioned today that we had a thousand yard rusher and receiver. Look at the number of catches.

RECEIVING GP No. Yds Avg TD Long Avg/G

-------------------------------------------------

W. Stattelman 14 97 1049 10.8 8 61 74.9

97!!! He averaged 6.9 catches a game. That is unbelievable. What NFL wouldn't want those numbers. Not to mention that he averaged over a first down every time he touched the ball. I guess those bubble/slip/tunnel screens really pay off.

please tell me your are not implying he is NFL material.

I think he was trying to say "What NFL receiver wouldn't want those numbers." They look pretty good for a college kid...and I'm sure many NFL receivers would take those numbers everyday and six times on sunday.

I think he was trying to say "What NFL receiver wouldn't want those numbers." They look pretty good for a college kid...and I'm sure many NFL receivers would take those numbers everyday and six times on sunday.

Thanks for helping clarify that Mory! :silly:

• 5 months later...

I'm guessing this is nothing more than wishful thinking by some NDSU players, but some guys I know work with two current Bison players who were saying something about Digger wanting to play DI-AA and thinking about transferring to NDSU. I don't believe it myself, but I'm curious if anyone else has heard anything.

On a related note, I've wondered how the coaching staff, given all the talent at the position, manages to give all the LB's enough playing time to keep everyone happy. Winning helps of course.

I'm guessing this is nothing more than wishful thinking by some NDSU players, but some guys I know work with two current Bison players who were saying something about Digger wanting to play DI-AA and thinking about transferring to NDSU. I don't believe it myself, but I'm curious if anyone else has heard anything.

On a related note, I've wondered how the coaching staff, given all the talent at the position, manages to give all the LB's enough playing time to keep everyone happy. Winning helps of course.

I can't imagine somebody moving schools to play "better talent" yet still have no chance to win a championship.

I guess I would disagree. NDSU would welcome Digger with open arms for two reasons:

1) He is outstanding!

2) They could "run it in our noses" that this happened because we elected to stay DII and this helps proves that they made the right decision - and we didn't!!

I don't honestly believe there's much of a chance of Anderson transferring--particularly to NDSU--but if he did, I believe he'd be giving up a year of eligibility. If I'm not mistaken, a transfer "up" requires the student-athlete to sit out a year. Since he's already had a red-shirt year, I don't believe he could sit out another year (unless it was a medical hardship situation) and NOT have it count towards his four years of eligibility. Giving up a year of eligibility and any chance of further post-season play would appear to make such a move highly unattractive. My guess is that this rumor has as much validity as the Ruley or Johnston to MSU-Mankato rumors from a few months ago.

I'd file this under the "smack talk that turned into a rumor" file. ;)

Digger's the feature LB in a defense that revolves around him. Wasn't it his dream to play for UND since he was rummaging around in trash containers?

I'd have to agree with your first sentence.

His "trash containers" experience served him well seeing how comfortable he looked cleaning up in the Bison backfield.

It used to be that if you transferred "up", you didn't lose any eligibility.  Has that changed?

UND Fan:

You don't automatically lose a year of eligibility, although since the 5-year clock doesn't stop during the transfer, you effectively do lose a year IF you have already taken a red-shirt season. For example, when basketball player Matt Schneiderman transferred from Morningside to Northern Iowa, he hadn't yet red-shirted so he was able to use the season he had to sit out as a transfer as a red-shirt year. As such, he was able to play for four years between Morningside and Northern Iowa. In Anderson's situation, he's already red-shirted and he'll be on year 4 of the 5-year clock this upcoming school year. Therefore, if he decided to transfer prior to the start of the school year, he'd have to sit out a year as a transfer (year 4), and effectively lose a year since by the time he was eligible, he would be on year 5.

I guess I didn't think about losing a year of eligibility so transferring wouldn't make much sense then. I'm not sure if he was on the field for the play or not, but I figured it was just a player venting who wasn't able to block Digger on 4th down in OT. But maybe Digger wants to move up and test himself against powers the likes of Montana Tech. ;)

It doesn't make that much sence for a player to transfer this late in his career to another school, *a hated rival no less*, where he has to learn how to play in another system; when he's pretty much the focal point of the system where he's at, and a not too shabby of a system. It gave me a few heart papulations. ;) My guess on this rumor would be somebody that Digger made his Bey-tch!! in a game. That would leave plenty of suspects throught the NCC. ;):(;)