SiouxSports.com Forum

Should Hakstol be considered for National Coach of the Year?

siouxnami

I would say absolutely even if the Sioux don't make the National Tournement. There are some other good contenders out there but consider the trifecta of challenges he has faced.

1) Graduates one of the most successful classes in UND and WCHA history, so he is starting out in a huge hole.

2) Loses a key piece of the recruiting class and NHL first round draft pick at the last second before the season.

3) Loses perhaps the most talented freshman for essentially the entire season. On top of that has a huge amount of addition injuries and can barely submit a lineup even using all of his non scholarship players.

Despite that they are on the cusp of securing home ice and making the NCAA tournement as an at large.

Wow.

This team is not nearly as talented as many that have come through under Hakstol and is nowhere near as accomplished but I think it is Hakstol's best season as a coach.

• Upvote 1

Totally agree. This team has faced unbelievable adversity and yet has been playing above itself for the last month and a half or two. Just getting into the tournament would be a great accomplishment. If all the underclassmen return next year, it could be another one of those really fun years, although this has been a fun year, also, because of the overachievement.

Im sorry but the Sioux have one of the elite first lines in college hockey, a strong defensive corp, and an All-American returning goalie. Yet the Sioux are fighting for home ice and the NCAA's? Hakstol shouldn't even be in the conversation for this award.

Was Lucia a coach of the year candidate the last few years? Heck, he had to deal with serious health issues of his own, Okposo leaving mid-season, Stoa out for a season with an injury, Budish out for a season with an injury, several early departures, several unexpected departures like Lofquist, O'brien, Dorr, Bickel, Birkholz, etc, and assistant coaching changes. Even with all that the Gophers barely missed out on the NCAA's and last year even got home ice.

Im sorry but the Sioux have one of the elite first lines in college hockey, a strong defensive corp, and an All-American returning goalie. Yet the Sioux are fighting for home ice and the NCAA's? Hakstol shouldn't even be in the conversation for this award.

Was Lucia a coach of the year candidate the last few years? Heck, he had to deal with serious health issues of his own, Okposo leaving mid-season, Stoa out for a season with an injury, Budish out for a season with an injury, several early departures, several unexpected departures like Lofquist, O'brien, Dorr, Bickel, Birkholz, etc, and assistant coaching changes. Even with all that the Gophers barely missed out on the NCAA's and last year even got home ice.

I bet UMN-TC didn't have 4 (is it 4 or 5?) walkons playing key roles on the 2nd-4th lines. Brad S. had a great comment the other day, not since the UNO series has UND had a healthy scratch, dressing D as F, and having 2 guys on the 4th line with a center rotating in. Not to mention, the non walkons we have are primarily freshman and sophomores, and our all american goalie has been pretty average this year (THUS FAR, I have 100% faith in Dell for the rest of the season)

Valid points all in your first paragraph Bucko. As for the second, many of those things, and departures, were of Lucia's own doing. Players leave early for many reasons. Most of the Gophers' early departures were due to reasons that have been reasonably well documented, and pertain to player development, or lack thereof, and a locker room Me Me Me Syndrome that was due, in large part, to absentee or failed coaching.

The injuries hurt, and are part of the game. Lucia's illness was mysterious and unfortunate, and one from which he is hopefully now healed. The other failings of the program are on him, or maybe, as I had long suspected, were on the now departed Johnny Hill. Guentzel for Hill. This season v. last season. The analysis is not rocket science.

There is much of the season left to be played and the upcoming series for both teams will say alot about their coaches and their hearts. As the old saying goes, We Shall See . . . .

• Upvote 1

I bet UMN-TC didn't have 4 (is it 4 or 5?) walkons playing key roles on the 2nd-4th lines. Brad S. had a great comment the other day, not since the UNO series has UND had a healthy scratch, dressing D as F, and having 2 guys on the 4th line with a center rotating in. Not to mention, the non walkons we have are primarily freshman and sophomores, and our all american goalie has been pretty average this year (THUS FAR, I have 100% faith in Dell for the rest of the season)

Not trying to get in on this because it's a pointless argument and I think MTU's coach deserves coach of the year, but MN did have 7 freshman last year playing straight out of high school because of their losses.

Not trying to get in on this because it's a pointless argument and I think MTU's coach deserves coach of the year, but MN did have 7 freshman last year playing straight out of high school because of their losses.

Just for the record, the Sioux have 10 freshmen on their roster, one of whom won't be cleared to play until next season.

Just for the record, the Sioux have 10 freshmen on their roster, one of whom won't be cleared to play until next season.

I know, but how many of them came straight out of high school? Most of them probably played in junior leagues

Fair enough, we will see how this season shakes out. Hak is a candidate, but I also agree that Mel Pearson will likely get it. (in part thanks to Jamie Russell's players)

Fair enough, we will see how this season shakes out. Hak is a candidate, but I also agree that Mel Pearson will likely get it. (in part thanks to Jamie Russell's players)

Mel Pearson is likely to get WCHA coach of the year.....national i'm not so sure. If tech makes the national tournament....he has good chance. Their schedule is fairly tough down the stretch. I'm not sure they will make it.

He's done a phenomenal job, but it seems that:

1. Teams that have had a lot of success in recent years don't have their coaches get coach of the year when they have a season that's not as good

2. A lot of times coach of the year goes to the coach of the team that wins the league.

If Minnesota wins the league, I honestly would not be surprised to see Lucia get the award since everyone, including myself, picked them to finish 4th or 5th in the conference. I think it will be between Pearson and Lucia personally. Although I think Pearson is more deserving by far.

Mel Pearson is likely to get WCHA coach of the year.....national i'm not so sure. If tech makes the national tournament....he has good chance. Their schedule is fairly tough down the stretch. I'm not sure they will make it.

I thought we were talking WCHA coach of the year haha

If they get to the tournament after losing 7 of their top 8 scorers and trying to put together 4 forward lines around a rash of injuries with a bunch of freshman he should get some votes because the coaching staff has done a fantastic job getting this patchwork team momentum down the stretch.

If they would somehow reach the Frozen 4, it would be the best coaching job of his career, bar none.

That said, I think Pearson has done a great job too and probably has the inside track, I keep expecting them to fade but they haven't.

• Upvote 1

This is complete bunk.

The Sioux lost three forwards before the season even began (Miller, St. Clair, DiPuma), have since lost another three forwards to season-ending injuries (Grimaldi, Rodwell, O'Donnell), typically are playing 2 or 3 defensemen as forwards, are playing multiple walk-on players to fill roster spots, etc.

IMO, if Hakstol can coach this team into the NCAA's, it will be one of his finest coaching performances since coming to UND.

I'm not saying that he will win Coach of the Year, or even that he should be nominated...but the amount of adversity that this team has endured this year is remarkable.

• Upvote 1

But of course, why should Hakstol be in the conversation, we all know Don Lucia deserves it more. The fact remains that UND has faced more adversity than a lot of team and the UND Fighting Sioux head coach has held his team together.

Say what!!!!

The gophers have had a ton of high draft picks on the roster the last three years and still fell flat. Even gopher fans were disgusted. No comparison.