SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

Also one of the first California chest bumps was retweeted by a Kendrick Peeples who is a WR from Reedley jc in Cali. Could he be a chest bump? If so could he be a CB which is what he was recruited out of HS? I haven't found much so I'm throwing some stuff out there just for some convo.

We are deep at WR but I don't think you can pass up WR who appear to be as talented as Carr and Robertson. Both of those guys appear to have the skill set to step in for McGill and Hardin after next year and will give us the burners on the edge to go along with Jackson (who was just named a freshmen All-American) and Fletcher. I think we had to address getting a couple speed guys outside this year.

We are deep at WR but I don't think you can pass up WR who appear to be as talented as Carr and Robertson. Both of those guys appear to have the skill set to step in for McGill and Hardin after next year and will give us the burners on the edge to go along with Jackson (who was just named a freshmen All-American) and Fletcher. I think we had to address getting a couple speed guys outside this year.

I agree to we cannot pass up quality players but we need more better players on defense. I hope the focus is on that and not so much on the wide outs.

Looked at Carr's Twitter this morning, sounds like he will play football & run track at UND.

Also, looks like Aeron is pushing a HS teammate, John O'Neal, to come to UND.

Aeron Carr@Dreamerrr9

@realdealoneal7 they said they need some LB that would be too real man, need someone to push me

J. O'Neal@realdealoneal7

@Dreamerrr9 I know I just got off the phone with him. I might be going with you bro

O'Neal is a 6'2, 220 LB.

http://www.hudl.com/...lights/19532373

I agree to we cannot pass up quality players but we need more better players on defense. I hope the focus is on that and not so much on the wide outs.

I'm just fine w/ taking a postion of strength (WR) & making it even stronger by adding more quality guys. Obviously, we want to be more of a throwing team in the Big Sky so I have no problem getting quality receivers. I don't think the coaches are purposely neglecting or not focusing on the D side either. We've picked up verbals from some nice D-Line & Safeties already. Yes, I'd like to see a few more LB's & CB's in this class, but hopefully that will come.

We are now getting verbals from players like Robertson & Carr is because of the passing game success last year. Receivers want to come here. Ya gotta think that one of the reasons Carr picked UND over SDSU is to play in this offense versus SDSU's ground & pound.

The Vikings didn't really "need" Randy Moss when they already had Jake Reed & Cris Carter, but that seemed to work out OK for them.

I keep hearing "how many WR's do we need....". Look at the roster - 3 of our top 4 WR's are seniors this coming year. Also, Oliver is no longer with the team. That leaves 6 WR's, only two of which have any production value (J. Jackson and Golladay). We need these high end freshman like Carr and Robertson to fill in the voids that our high-end seniors are leaving.

Just looked at oneals highlights. He moves pretty well but isn't very physical. The only time he goes through anyone is when he gets a clean shot at a qb. Every other tackle he catches the player and then either grabs their ankles or twists them to the ground. I'm not sure if we need a finesse lb....

Didn't we really cool off on him?

Yes. Most teams did which surprises me that UNI would take him. Although from what I am hearing they, along with other MVFC teams, are scouring the upper midwest pretty hard right now trying to get kids to flip, etc.

Yes. Most teams did which surprises me that UNI would take him. Although from what I am hearing they, along with other MVFC teams, are scouring the upper midwest pretty hard right now trying to get kids to flip, etc.

I suppose kids like stockwell and bell are targets then

I keep hearing "how many WR's do we need....". Look at the roster - 3 of our top 4 WR's are seniors this coming year. Also, Oliver is no longer with the team. That leaves 6 WR's, only two of which have any production value (J. Jackson and Golladay). We need these high end freshman like Carr and Robertson to fill in the voids that our high-end seniors are leaving.

That's what I was wondering why we were getting receivers left and right. Its good that we get these players but I am more interested on when they are going to play. Are they going to be buried in the depth chart or are they going to replace outgoing talent. By the looks at your post they are going to replace outgoing talent. Okay that clears that up. Are we going to go from a running team (DII, GWFC) to a passing team like last year? Its a tough task...I hope it works.

In my opinion:

LB Mike Redmond

OL Chad Fahning

DT Akeem Roller

I don't think any of them have made a decision yet.

I believe Fahning has been heading to Minnesota for a while now. Maybe as a PWO? He would have been a miracle given his offers and options anyways.

I've also heard Roller has academic issues, which is why we surprisingly haven't heard hardly anything about him. Would have loved to have him as well.

Redmond is realistic and would be a great get. Competition is high on him too though. We shall see.

What does our depth look like at WR? Are we losing a lot after 2013 or 2014? To me it seems like we are very deep at the position to be recruiting more receivers.

You always need to be recruiting players at every position. Last year's roster listed 12 receivers and was by far our best and deepest position group. That group will lose 1 senior (Heimler), 1 guy switched positions (Ivery), and 1 guy will no longer be on the team (Oliver). Then you have 3 guys who will be seniors next season. If we hadn't gotten commitments from Robertson and Carr and hadn't recruited receivers because we're already deep there we'd be left with 6 receivers on the roster for 2014 and possibly fewer if there's unexpected attrition like with Oliver. It may look like we need to be focusing more on defense or the offensive line or any other area of weakness in any given year but the reality is that we need to be getting quality players at every position, every year if we're going to build a year-in year-out contender. WR is one position where we are where we need to be but that absolutely does not mean we can forget about it for a year.