SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

True, although I believe he's projected to play defense in college--either OLB or safety (according to the SFI tweet, anyway).

Could be, he's a sizeable RB at 6'1", but athletic...runs the 200 in the 22.40 range and has a 38" vertical.

Looks like a good athlete to plug a hole.

Healthy kleason at guard with a developing Anderson with walker in the middle and you've got a supremely athletic interior. Mcgurran was good but slow as molasses same with gilson.

Ya I noticed on the SDSU chat site they have; they were talking about how big our line is but how slow they are. Let's face it, this last year they were slower than heck and got dominated technique-wise the entire season too. I would rather have smaller and more quick footed linemen all day long.

I propose we use "Piss Yellow" as the sarcastic color, since we all know the NDSU fans are full of $hit and have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Yellow or gold? There is "Scream Yellow" but then there is the "Gold Rush". Don't think they'd be the same, yet they appear to be...

Unfortunately his long jump is only 19' 2"....

I propose we use "Piss Yellow" as the sarcastic color, since we all know the NDSU fans are full of $hit and have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Oh I see how it is funny f'ers, first I get the pink text and now I'm a Fu fan...I'll probably be called a Gopher fan too by the end of the night. :lol:

Interesting thread on eGriz on ex Gopher QB Shortell.

http://www.egriz.com...php?f=1&t=60486

The guy posting says Shortell's father is his dentist, who says Montana hasn't been in contact.

Interesting that just by posting this, the Griz fan could get Montana in trouble with the NCAA if Montana does pursue Shortell.

I don't think a fan talking to the father of a recruit and then talking about it on a non-university fansite is of any concern, it doesn't involve Montana at all.

I don't think a fan talking to the father of a recruit and then talking about it on a non-university fansite is of any concern, it doesn't involve Montana at all.

NCAA regs specifically limit contact with a players' parents or guardians by fans. the fact that the U of Montana (or UND) didn't make contact, but a booster did (and a fan on a message board is a booster), makes Montana athletics potentially guilty in the eyes of the NCAA even though the Montana athletic department did nothing wrong.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=205238364

NCAA regs specifically limit contact with a players' parents or guardians by fans. the fact that the U of Montana (or UND) didn't make contact, but a booster did (and a fan on a message board is a booster), makes Montana athletics potentially guilty in the eyes of the NCAA even though the Montana athletic department did nothing wrong.

http://www.aggieathl...TCLID=205238364

I guess if he was someone the NCAA considered a booster and would have searched this guy out for the express reason of talking about his kid it could be an issue, but a casual conversation during an established relationship shouldn't be a problem.

Still, reading all those rules really makes you wonder how much innocent stuff could be considered wrongdoing, a high-level season ticket holder bumps into some random parent of a stud kid at a store and says "Hey, Bobby needs to come to Dipstick Tech" and that would be considered illegal? Scary stuff.

I guess if he was someone the NCAA considered a booster and would have searched this guy out for the express reason of talking about his kid it could be an issue, but a casual conversation during an established relationship shouldn't be a problem.

Still, reading all those rules really makes you wonder how much innocent stuff could be considered wrongdoing, a high-level season ticket holder bumps into some random parent of a stud kid at a store and says "Hey, Bobby needs to come to Dipstick Tech" and that would be considered illegal? Scary stuff.

That fan is a booster, as his postings on eGriz would be proof according NCAA regs. Same with us: technically we are boosters just because we post here even if we give no money to UND . That type posting may actually prevent Montana coaches from contacting Shortell just to be safe. After all, Montana is already is under investigation by the NCAA.

That fan is a booster, as his postings on eGriz would be proof according NCAA regs. Same with us: technically we are boosters just because we post here even if we give no money to UND . That type posting may actually prevent Montana coaches from contacting Shortell just to be safe. After all, Montana is already is under investigation by the NCAA.

You don't really believe this is an issue do you?

Don't we give money to UND through ticket sales? ;)

You don't really believe this is an issue do you?

He asked his dentist father specifically about Montana and talked about Montana's program and who knows what else. Normally, it wouldn't be an issue because nobody would ever find out, but this poster posted a synopsis of the conversation about recruiting and talking to his father on eGriz. Really really stupid. If he had talked to a more distant relative there wouldn't any questions, as the NCAA does not forbid that type of indirect contact. Talking to a parent = talking to a recruit.

The NCAA put Boise State on probation because one signed recruit who hadn't yet enrolled slept on another players' couch during pre-fall workouts, as the recruit couldn't afford an apartment or hotel for the interim time before he could move into a dorm. Boise State was found guilty of a recruit accepting gifts from another player.

The NCAA dish out punishment for flimsy documented violations just to punish the smaller schools - while huge violations at Ohio State and Miami are given punishments that should have amounted to death penalties in comparison to the loss of scholarships that Boise State had to endure. Nothing is proportional to the NCAA: Boise State should have lost a couch in the players lounge, not scholarships.

Don't we give money to UND through ticket sales? ;)

Yes, but any fan here, even if they live on either coast, is still a booster.

He asked his dentist father specifically about Montana and talked about Montana's program and who knows what else. Normally, it wouldn't be an issue because nobody would ever find out, but this poster posted a synopsis of the conversation about recruiting on eGriz. Really really stupid.

The NCAA put Boise State on probation because one signed recruit who hadn't yet enrolled slept on another players' couch during pre-fall workouts, as the recruit couldn't afford an apartment or hotel for the interim time before he could move into a dorm. Boise State was found guilty of a recruit accepting gifts from another player.

The NCAA dish out punishment for flimsy documented violations just to punish the smaller schools - while huge violations at Ohio State and Miami are given punishments that should have amounted to death penalties in comparison to the loss of scholarships that Boise State had to endure. Nothing is proportional to the NCAA: Boise State should have lost a couch in the players lounge, not scholarships.

I like the sound of being a UND booster. :)

He asked his dentist father specifically about Montana and talked about Montana's program and who knows what else. Normally, it wouldn't be an issue because nobody would ever find out, but this poster posted a synopsis of the conversation about recruiting on eGriz. Really really stupid.

OK then I guess if that's your take I'll have to respect that, to me it's an innocent conversation during a routine dentist appointment which was an established relationship.

I've read a few articles of him getting a lot of interest from a few Big10 schools but also have seen an article from this summer that we were his only offer. Not sure on where he had offers too but he appears to be a real good talent.

For some reason this guy doesn't seem to be a big get. Maybe he's just a good under the radar guy. I'm sure nobody in Fargo was doing backflips when they landed Beck.

For some reason this guy doesn't seem to be a big get. Maybe he's just a good under the radar guy. I'm sure nobody in Fargo was doing backflips when they landed Beck.

You could've said the same thing about Schobert last year. You never know about recruits. The kid put up huge numbers and has great size and speed. I've seen some boards of people were talking about him as a candidate for Mr. Football in MN as a Jr. (it only goes to Sr.'s). I've never seen him play so I have no comment further than that. His highlight tape is impressive but every highlight tape should be impressive. I'll say welcome to UND Jake.

OK then I guess if that's your take I'll have to respect that, to me it's an innocent conversation during a routine dentist appointment which was an established relationship.

I don't think there would be a problem if they just had a simple conversation since they had a previous relationship. Something like, "Has Max decided where he is transferring? Has he thought about Montana?" Much more than that starts to push the limits. Actually promoting a school is definitely beyond the limit. Putting the information from that conversation on a fan forum is a second strike. It is best to avoid anything that could be remotely considered recruiting unless you are paid by the University for that, or you have been asked to help recruit by someone from the University with the authority to make that request. Anything beyond that has the potential to cause a problem for the University and the athlete.

You could've said the same thing about Schobert last year. You never know about recruits. The kid put up huge numbers and has great size and speed. I've seen some boards of people were talking about him as a candidate for Mr. Football in MN as a Jr. (it only goes to Sr.'s). I've never seen him play so I have no comment further than that. His highlight tape is impressive but every highlight tape should be impressive. I'll say welcome to UND Jake.

Looking at the verbals so far, this class looks pretty nice.

K/P Mitch Meindel (WI) has a good ol' Howitzer for a leg.

FB Dustin Iverson (ND) good athletic FB and a local kid.

OL Dan Bell (WI) good size and potential.

DL Brandon Miller (WI) very nice size for a DT, looked like a beast on his film.

If we can get another couple beast on the DL and some mean LBs along with the other needs (DB, OL, speed) this class is already shaping up quite nicely.