SiouxSports.com Forum

First Commisioner of NCHC is picked

gfhockey

Sounds like it is Jim Scherr. That TV deal is definitely a let down for the conference since CBS college sports is not on any regular cable packages unless you have Dish or DirecTV.

If it's CBS College Sports that's on cable packages as well.

Sounds like it is Jim Scherr. That TV deal is definitely a let down for the conference since CBS college sports is not on any regular cable packages unless you have Dish or DirecTV.

I get that channel and I have cable so it isn't restricted to Dish or Direct.
  • Upvote 1

NBC>CBS>B1G

CBS is definitely in the bottom of the three when it comes to the benefits it will bring a hockey conference. Especially when the NCHC is a fledgling conference trying to gain some footing in building a brand presence. In terms of revenue it will provide us, it is a distant 3rd place. It won't come close to the revenue of the B1G and its promotional focus on one conference. NBC is much better as well because of its NHL connection.

Losing Notre Dame was a definite killer for the NCHC and this is further proof.

Losing Notre Dame was a definite killer for the NCHC and this is further proof.

No.

Notre Dame would have killed the NCHC by hogging the tv exposure and money.

The athletic directors were smart enough to see through their power grab.

Having an NBC contract for Notre Dame hockey doesn't really do much for the rest of Hockey Easts teams

Look what the NCHC is bringing us that the WCHA never did. A tv contract.

Does anybody know what the current ratings for UND hockey is? There has to be quite a few people watching, we get the home games here in Nashville and I know we have quite a few alumni and fans watching in the Arizona, Colorado, and Minnesota markets, not to mention Manitoba.

No.

Notre Dame would have killed the NCHC by hogging the tv exposure and money.

The athletic directors were smart enough to see through their power grab.

Having an NBC contract for Notre Dame hockey doesn't really do much for the rest of Hockey Easts teams

Look what the NCHC is bringing us that the WCHA never did. A tv contract.

Agree.

If my understanding is correct didn't the Big 12 implode because one school had the TV contract and revenue? In my opinion that was the best football conference and maybe top five in basketball as well. There should have been plenty of money to go around.

Having Notre Dame would have been very nice for the conference but if it would have taken the NCHC to a similiar position as the Big 12 it would not have been good for the conference members.

Does anybody know what the current ratings for UND hockey is? There has to be quite a few people watching, we get the home games here in Nashville and I know we have quite a few alumni and fans watching in the Arizona, Colorado, and Minnesota markets, not to mention Manitoba.

Nothing compared to a big time football school. I would guess it is in the range of 25,000 plus, depending on who the Sioux are playing too.

Nothing compared to a big time football school. I would guess it is in the range of 25,000 plus, depending on who the Sioux are playing too.

I would guess it is much , much higher than 25,000 per game. I've seen more people than that packing into bars and restaurants in Grand Forks to watch a Sioux home game.

Agree.

If my understanding is correct didn't the Big 12 implode because one school had the TV contract and revenue? In my opinion that was the best football conference and maybe top five in basketball as well. There should have been plenty of money to go around.

Having Notre Dame would have been very nice for the conference but if it would have taken the NCHC to a similiar position as the Big 12 it would not have been good for the conference members.

Agree.

Its not the network decision, it is the money behind the network decision in texas that did this. Look at it in a smaller way. FSN North and the goophs. I actually think that the gophers being solely on fsn has helped the wcha become a better league. Now with CBS picking up this league, I think that it will grow. Hopefully they don't televise a single home game of UND so we can see more road games :whistling: . Call it selfish, but we have the sweeny network for home games. In all reality this is going to be a good thing for our hockey league being on CBS.

Do you know how many alum watched the game Saturday night against Harvard in Phoenix at the viewing bar in Mesa? Less than 20.

Does the CBS TV contract for the NCHC mean that the "team formerly known as the Fighting Sioux" will no longer be carried by Fox College Sports? That would be a huge negative.

If a UND home game isn't on CBS TV, FCS gets the game (as I understand it).