SiouxSports.com Forum

In the Last Decade Fargo's Population Grew by More than Half...

Cratter

than that of Grand Forks' total population (when West Fargo is added too.)

http://www.usatoday....ta-census_N.htm

Fargo

added nearly 15,000 residents to hit a record population of 105,549, the Census Bureau reported Wednesday. Its fast-growing neighbor of

West Fargo

added an additional 11,000 residents to reach a population of 25,830.

Pretty astonishing stuff to think in just ten years the area of Fargo (not even counting moorhead) basically added a town of 26,000 people (more than half of Grand Forks).

A much nicer view is coming into gf on Hwy 2. from the airport.

Wouldn't know Dan... I haven't been out that way in over two decades. However, we just passed through Fargo this week on our way to western ND. Sorry for offending your homestead, but there is really nothing appealing to see there. Eye sore housing developments and lazy architecture. Just my opinion though.

Wouldn't know Dan... I haven't been out that way in over two decades. However, we just passed through Fargo this week on our way to western ND. Sorry for offending your homestead, but there is really nothing appealing to see there. Eye sore housing developments and lazy architecture. Just my opinion though.

It's actually typical development for midwestern cities, and elsewhere, where they straddle interstates or other major highways. A lot of space, relatively cheap land and labor to slap those babies up and rent/sell 'em out. Fortunately it's not as bad as the DFW metroplex ...

Pretty astonishing stuff to think in just ten years the area of Fargo (not even counting moorhead) basically added a town of 26,000 people (more than half of Grand Forks).

Yeah, the days of thinking of G.F. and Fargo as similarly sized have passed.

While those who view it as a zero-sum game (or who will be annoyed by the increase in bleating from a few haughty Fargoans) will think that's bad news, Fargo's growth is good news for ND, and therefore UND. In particular, note that it's no longer just a migration from rural to city, but that the state population overall also grew 4.7%. The long-run trend for N.D. is that of a declining state, so any signs of population stabilization or growth are welcome news. Of course, the devil is in the details -- the article notes an aging population and an ongoing decline in the number of children.

It's also not clear how ND will fare in an economic recovery, if people can again get jobs easily in places where it doesn't reach -40F. Since ND can't change its weather, all it can do is continue to maximize this opportunity by continuing to establish a solid base of good, diverse employment opportunities and making ND a place people like to stay.

It's actually typical development for midwestern cities, and elsewhere, where they straddle interstates or other major highways. A lot of space, relatively cheap land and labor to slap those babies up and rent/sell 'em out. Fortunately it's not as bad as the DFW metroplex ...

A couple of years ago there was a local report in Fargo of the high % of renters in the city. Nationally, home-ownwership was approx. 60% to 40% renters. Fargo's stats were flip-flopped based on that report. Build them and they will rent...

A couple of years ago there was a local report in Fargo of the high % of renters in the city. Nationally, home-ownwership was approx. 60% to 40% renters. Fargo's stats were flip-flopped based on that report. Build them and they will rent...

I was back in Fargo about 4-5 years ago and recall being astonished by the number of apt rental ads in the Sunday paper and the rents for "luxury" apartments was really low compared to other places. It seems the oversupply makes it cheaper to rent than to buy in most cases. Pretty symptomatic, in my view, of poor urban planning, and not a very good way to develop over time.

I agree people moving into the state is a good for the state overall. However, I think the politicos in Bismarck really need to develop a long-term plan for sustainable growth, and growth that is less dependent on cyclical industries, e.g., oil.

However, I think the politicos in Bismarck really need to develop a long-term plan for sustainable growth, and growth that is less dependent on cyclical industries, e.g., oil.

Yep, that was my "gotcha" at the end. This is great short-term news, but it's up to N.D. not to rest on its laurels but instead to use this opportunity to create sustainable growth. When the rest of the U.S. recovers, when oil declines, when everyone who is going to move from small N.D. towns to N.D. cities has done so, the state needs to have other opportunities in place.

It's a lot easier to create that sort of development in a growth environment, as long as they don't become complacent and assume that current growth is self-sustaining.

Same in MSP. Vacancy is at 2-3 percent in Uptown area. Great for our rental props, but also encouraging the big developers toward building more. At least the proposed designs appear interesting, and not just wood boxes. We just went through a condo glut... Apartment glut soon to come? Wish we would have held onto Williston props.

Yep, understand that. My wife is an architect and planner... Initially trained at NDSU. She just shakes her head every time we pass though the area. Was in DFW recently...agree.

I was back in Fargo about 4-5 years ago and recall being astonished by the number of apt rental ads in the Sunday paper and the rents for "luxury" apartments was really low compared to other places. It seems the oversupply makes it cheaper to rent than to buy in most cases. Pretty symptomatic, in my view, of poor urban planning, and not a very good way to develop over time.

I agree people moving into the state is a good for the state overall. However, I think the politicos in Bismarck really need to develop a long-term plan for sustainable growth, and growth that is less dependent on cyclical industries, e.g., oil.

Probably has something to do with the fact that my yearly property taxes in Fargo exceed the GDP of Burundi!!!

How is the utility infrastructure holding up? I've heard some rumblings about water availability/suitability due to sharp increases.

Only rumblings I've heard about water issues is due to the anuual spring flooding of the Red!

Pretty soon Fargo is going to run into Wahpeton. They keep building more and more south while buildings on the north side remain empty. There is only 2 things on the north side..the college and the airport. Its nice and quiet but I don't want to drive 50 miles south for the newest store to pop up on 200th ave south. :silly:

And Grand Forks is? Okay.

That's why I like living on the south side. Maybe it's just me, but I think the north side of Fargo almost has a sort of small-town feel to it.

I had a couple co-workers visit me on the north side (they live on the south side) their first words were..."its so quiet up here". I like it in a way, but it sucks for shopping.

You got that right, especially now that dumbass Dayton got the Homestead Exemption repealed. Got the tax bill last month. #$#%^%

The repeal of the Homestead Exemption doesn't affect your property taxes at all. It will effectively raise your adjusted gross income for your 2012 taxes, which are the ones due in April 2013. That means it's over a year before we actually pay for this repeal.

At least that's how I understand it.

The repeal of the Homestead Exemption doesn't affect your property taxes at all. It will effectively raise your adjusted gross income for your 2012 taxes, which are the ones due in April 2013. That means it's over a year before we actually pay for this repeal.

At least that's how I understand it.

Yes it does affect your property taxes. The max credit right now is $304. You paid this amount less on your tax bill to your local entity and the state gave the city, town, etc. the difference of what you paid and what you should have paid. I looked it up. The average credit is $202 per property. How this was Dayton's fault when the Republicans wrote the bill I don't know.

these data are almost two years old, you can probably tack another combined 5000+ at minimum.

Fargo does need to be more proactive on zoning, developers needs some vision, and someone needs to start planting some trees. Some of the new developments downtown and some of the redevelopment jobs around town are pretty decent.

You got that right, especially now that dumbass Dayton got the Homestead Exemption repealed. Got the tax bill last month. #$#%^%

Your property tax in Mn is determined by your county and their $ management along with local school district. Most counties planned for the reduction of state aid instigated by the republican majorities and made cuts to keep taxes close to last year. Mine dropped 3% due to a fiscally astute county board. If you want to blame someone, blame your local gov't body or that idiot UND grad, Kurt Zellars. He and his band moved the Minnesota tax bill from the high rollers in the state to all the counties and thence to the property tax rolls. Happy New Year!