SiouxSports.com Forum

Time Mag: "NCAA Bad Call: Changing North Dakota's ... "

The Sicatoka

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,2102772,00.html?xid=gonewsedit

Finally Spirit Lake gets on the attack the right way. Pressure the NCAA nationally. I've been saying "Federal court", but this may work nearly as well.

And anyone else notice that the pro- folks (both SR and SL) are willing to talk but the anti- folks have gone silent in that piece?

(And I know this is in the other thread, but it's the first major news source article that's even remotely sympathetic to the pro-moniker view.)

• Upvote 3

I think it would have been better if SL went to trial now and not a few years from now.

It would have been even better if SL had pulled the trigger on their litigation 3-4 years ago. At the very least, this type of attention may have made the NC$$ treat UND with the same standard they did FSU, Utah, etc.

• Upvote 4

I hope this article gets picked up more and the NCAA has to start damage control.

I'd rather it get picked up by a few Members of Congress, and we'd probably get a better result. At the very least, the NC$$ might be forced to defend its overall hypocrisy, poor enforcement of its own rules, the academic performance of student athletes, its anti-competitive business practices, etc. Perhaps now would be a good time for NoDak's delegation to get off their collective a$$es ... :hypocrite:

• Upvote 2

Time seems to be softening it's stance on this article. Changed the headline from "Bad Call" to "Blunder".

Personally, I'd call a blunder worse than a bad call.

Bad calls happen (see: WCHA officals).

A blunder is defined as "make a serious mistake", or "move clumsily", or "act in a confused way". <-- That's the NCAA right there. :D

And part of me wonders if they didn't change it to "blunder" to try to be cute ... blUNDer ...

So happy to see this is TIME magazine. Never in 100 years could I see our local newspaper publishing something like this! hahahahaaha, that is why I cancelled my subscription to the GF Herald.

Its in the Herald!!

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/224385/group/homepage/

It’s the latest example of national media head-scratching, analysis and commentary concerning the Fighting Sioux story, which may or may not be ending. UND is actively transitioning away from the nickname and logo, but that could be affected by pending federal lawsuits, a proposed referendum and a parallel initiated measure that would ask the people to enshrine the nickname in North Dakota’s Constitution.
  • Upvote 1

It's like I've been saying all along, get this thing in the national media to show the NCAA in a negative way and they'll scurry like the cockroaches that they are. I kept suggesting a feature on ESPN's Outside The Lines, but Time magazine will do just as well. People who insist this thing is over are sorrily mistaken.

It's going to take way more than an article in Time to make them scurry. Although, it is definitely a step in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

It's going to take way more than an article in Time to make them scurry. Although, it is definitely a step in the right direction.

Agreed. Given the uncertainty of litigation, especially some of the claims in the SL action, I wouldn't hold my breath on the NC$$ backing down because of unfavorable media attention. The NC$$ has been excoriated in a variety of mediums for any number of reasons and it still keeps marching to its own drummer. Unless something happens at the federal level, the NC$$ will not change its ways, or back off UND. The only people who may be able to open the NC$$'s "black box" are sent by the people of North Dakota for 2 or 6 year terms to Congress, and they've done nothing ...

So happy to see this is TIME magazine. Never in 100 years could I see our local newspaper publishing something like this! hahahahaaha, that is why I cancelled my subscription to the GF Herald.

How about 101 years. It's in the Herald and was in there yesterday, too. But if you canceled your subscription, how would you know, right? :)

I applaud the article as it gets the message to a national stage, but frankly, I didn't read anything in it that hasn't already been printed in the Herald. It's, like I said, same stuff we already knew, but presented on a platter for a national audience (which I think is super cool.)

• Upvote 1

This is what Spirit Lake should focus on, not those ill-advised petitions to put the name and logo into the State Constitution. The NCAA fears two things above all; toxic press coverage and the Federal Government (both Congress and the Courts). I wish this had been started before that horrible legal settlement was signed, but I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

• Upvote 2

This is what Spirit Lake should focus on, not those ill-advised petitions to put the name and logo into the State Constitution. The NCAA fears two things above all; toxic press coverage and the Federal Government (both Congress and the Courts). I wish this had been started before that horrible legal settlement was signed, but I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

Our delagation as sad as they are should have received this article and go after the NC$$.

It's like I've been saying all along, get this thing in the national media to show the NCAA in a negative way and they'll scurry like the cockroaches that they are. I kept suggesting a feature on ESPN's Outside The Lines, but Time magazine will do just as well. People who insist this thing is over are sorrily mistaken.

I believe Espn Outside the Lines did a short feature several years ago but it was the typical butcher job I have come to expect from them.

However, it was still a step above the half-assed piece on Nightline a couple years ago. Martin Bashir? did a real hack job (IMO). The state name was about the only thing he got right.

There, I feel much better now. :)