SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at South Dakota State

Cratter

We should watch this game tape and concentrate only on what SDSU does. They play as a TEAM and constantly makes the extra pass for the WIDE open shot. They were not as athletic as us nor as big but look what they did to us. Everyone keeps talking about we need more athletic players but what we need is for our players to play as one and find the open man and not just worry about themselves. Its beginning to come down to discipline and coaching. This was just way too ugly.

We should be losing to KU in january by 38, not to another mid major. SDSU should be a peer team to us. This team has a lot of flaws and isn't really making improvements. I think the loss of Coach Moody and Coach Phillippe are definitely looming large.

Too many turnovers. Some guys taking a lot of bad shots. Inability to shoot free throws as a collective team. Poor team defense.

• Upvote 1

The game might have a little extra meaning for UND. Jones appeared to take offense to a late 3-pointer by the Jackrabbits, which Nagy addressed after the game.

“I didn’t like the way it ended regardless of whether you play them again or not,” Nagy said. “When you’re up by that, you don’t want to be jumping up and shooting threes. They were bothered by it, and I would be, too.”

We should watch this game tape and concentrate only on what SDSU does. They play as a TEAM and constantly makes the extra pass for the WIDE open shot. They were not as athletic as us nor as big but look what they did to us. Everyone keeps talking about we need more athletic players but what we need is for our players to play as one and find the open man and not just worry about themselves. Its beginning to come down to discipline and coaching. This was just way too ugly.

I know the foregoing comments are complimentary of SDSU's play in the game. However, saying SDSU is not as athletic as UND is simply wrong. If you get the chance to watch the tape, do so. SDSU (finally) has a legit D-1 ball club and tonight they played like they are capable on both offense and defense.

I have no doubt the rematch in Grand Forks is going to be an entirely different game and I'm not going to attempt to predict the margin of victory but UND still has its work cut out trying to beat the Jackrabbits.

like i said earlier.... fire jones???

Well, you can't fire the team. Not the best move when you are heading into a year where conference play on a national level is coming up, but I think that Jones has had his chance. Time to move on, but Faison, to my knowledge, has not fired anyone (women's hockey coach?). Not too sure about keeping Gene much longer either. It's crunch time for the two UND BB programs. I am tired of being embarassed by these performances.

This Thursday at home will show us what character we have. We are 4-5 and honestly until last nights game could have won them all. We were in every game and if not for poor discipline we could have won all of them. Last night I am writing off as hopefully our worst performance of the year against a very good team. SDSU has lost only to Minnesota, Georgia and Nebraska and they were in every one of those games. They are no doubt way ahead of us in every phase but not 40 points. We definately took a turn backwards last night and hopefully our players have very short memories. Its got to start with defense and shot selection. Find the guys who are willing to play defense and make the extra pass for the wide open shot. Each player has to understand what is a good shot for them. For example, Huff has taken the 2nd most threes and he is the worst percentage three point shooter we have. Not picking on him just an easy analysis. Allard also should never shoot a three. Each player must know his strength and weakness. Its gut check time boys. We are not going to beat SDSU this Thursday but we can put up a fight. It starts then.

• Upvote 1

Well, you can't fire the team. Not the best move when you are heading into a year where conference play on a national level is coming up, but I think that Jones has had his chance. Time to move on, but Faison, to my knowledge, has not fired anyone (women's hockey coach?). Not too sure about keeping Gene much longer either. It's crunch time for the two UND BB programs. I am tired of being embarassed by these performances.

What about Idalski, then? I just watched the Women's Hockey team this weekend, and if you ask me they are greatly underachieving from what we've been sold. Women's hockey, in my mind, it shouldn't take much to get to the top of the heap and yet we've lost 3 times this year to a barely mediocre UMD team. I do agree that coaching can be a problem but in this instance of getting blown off the floor by SDSU- I would say that it was the players not showing up. Now the coach should shoulder some of the blame but not all. I will admit that if we don't get to a minimum of 15 wins this year, I will be severly dissappointed. I'm not going to call for a coach's firing right now, but I'm going to watch the remainder of the season and evaluate from there.