SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at South Dakota State

Cratter

Dont think its time to fire anybody. We have to give Jones time with this sophomore class. Once they are seniors and no additional help has been brought in for this class then a discussion can be made. This class has the talent and if nothing is done or they dont improve by the time they are done, then lets talk. They do however need to improve in several areas and that is what will fall on Jones if its not accomplished. One area I'm not sure on is, what exactly do the new assistant coaches do? Don't really see them doing anything on the sidelines. Not impressed with them at all actually.

Dont think its time to fire anybody. We have to give Jones time with this sophomore class. Once they are seniors and no additional help has been brought in for this class then a discussion can be made. This class has the talent and if nothing is done or they dont improve by the time they are done, then lets talk. They do however need to improve in several areas and that is what will fall on Jones if its not accomplished. One area I'm not sure on is, what exactly do the new assistant coaches do? Don't really see them doing anything on the sidelines. Not impressed with them at all actually.

I know during the broadcasts that one of the new coach's that has been talked about is Coach Oliver- where it's been mentioned he has played in the NBA and professionally overseas, and has really worked a lot with Anderson & Webb. I would venture to say that has been very apparent as those 2 players appear to be making strides in their games. If you watch any college or pro basketball games. Rarely, do the assistants do a lot of coaching during the game. Coach Moody, I believe was an exception- especially vocally-- although I see Coach Martin is the next vocal after Jones during games I've seen- plus he's always saying things in Coach Jone's ear (this is as it should be as he is the Associate Head Coach). From there I think the other assistants are relatively quiet but I'm not entirely sold that it's any different than most college programs. Most of those guys are far more hands on during practice time.

I do want to point out that the SDSU loss was embarrasing. I have a feeling that they are a very good team, but we had better be improved the next time we play. I did not see it, but from the way it sounded we were outclassed in every category. One area that I hope we get better is effort. Effort is evident in rebounds and defense. That is always something you can control. And despite our offensive defeciencies at times there is no reason to take of plays off defensively. I think we can get alot better in that area. I hope that happens on Thursday. We may not win the game, but let's at least make them have to play their very best to eek out a win. I never like to lose, but if the effort and commitment is there, I will likely give the team the benefit of the doubt.

I know during the broadcasts that one of the new coach's that has been talked about is Coach Oliver- where it's been mentioned he has played in the NBA and professionally overseas, and has really worked a lot with Anderson & Webb. I would venture to say that has been very apparent as those 2 players appear to be making strides in their games. If you watch any college or pro basketball games. Rarely, do the assistants do a lot of coaching during the game. Coach Moody, I believe was an exception- especially vocally-- although I see Coach Martin is the next vocal after Jones during games I've seen- plus he's always saying things in Coach Jone's ear (this is as it should be as he is the Associate Head Coach). From there I think the other assistants are relatively quiet but I'm not entirely sold that it's any different than most college programs. Most of those guys are far more hands on during practice time.

I do want to point out that the SDSU loss was embarrasing. I have a feeling that they are a very good team, but we had better be improved the next time we play. I did not see it, but from the way it sounded we were outclassed in every category. One area that I hope we get better is effort. Effort is evident in rebounds and defense. That is always something you can control. And despite our offensive defeciencies at times there is no reason to take of plays off defensively. I think we can get alot better in that area. I hope that happens on Thursday. We may not win the game, but let's at least make them have to play their very best to eek out a win. I never like to lose, but if the effort and commitment is there, I will likely give the team the benefit of the doubt.

From what I have heard is that Oliver is only showing attention to those 2 players and that is causing issues with the others. Chemistry is definately not there between the players right now, I dont care what Jones is saying in interviews. There is definately friction that has to be sorted out cause they are not playing as a team. Look at the boxscore - 6 assists for the entire game. Might be time if this continues to change the starting lineup around and shake things up.

From what I have heard is that Oliver is only showing attention to those 2 players and that is causing issues with the others. Chemistry is definately not there between the players right now, I dont care what Jones is saying in interviews. There is definately friction that has to be sorted out cause they are not playing as a team. Look at the boxscore - 6 assists for the entire game. Might be time if this continues to change the starting lineup around and shake things up.

So what you are saying? You have 1st hand knowledge of players feeling slighted of a coach's attention? That's what you are saying. Meaning a player is telling you this. I guess my question is, exactly what players feel this way? Because it makes obvious sense that Oliver, having been a ballhandling guard to work with....balhandling guards (Anderson&Webb). It wouldn't make much sense for him to dedicate his time working with bigs or wings. Does it to you. Also, I can honestly say that I don't know anyone that actually gets their name listed on the roster- player or coach...so this is just conjecture... but it would seem to me that if a player wants more attention or wants to work more with a coach all they need to do- is ask. That's why I listen to games even when I'm at them because I'm able to glean a few more details, such as it was pointed out that Anderson has been the one to put in the extra time and has wanted more individual film breakdown. He's been the one seeking it, according to radio. It sounds like he was the one to go the extra mile. If other players are having issues with that, it would be their problem not Andersons or Coach Oliver. I don't know if there is or isn't team chemistry issues- but if this one of them, this is just silly, and we apparently need to grow up.

So what you are saying? You have 1st hand knowledge of players feeling slighted of a coach's attention? That's what you are saying. Meaning a player is telling you this. I guess my question is, exactly what players feel this way? Because it makes obvious sense that Oliver, having been a ballhandling guard to work with....balhandling guards (Anderson&Webb). It wouldn't make much sense for him to dedicate his time working with bigs or wings. Does it to you. Also, I can honestly say that I don't know anyone that actually gets their name listed on the roster- player or coach...so this is just conjecture... but it would seem to me that if a player wants more attention or wants to work more with a coach all they need to do- is ask. That's why I listen to games even when I'm at them because I'm able to glean a few more details, such as it was pointed out that Anderson has been the one to put in the extra time and has wanted more individual film breakdown. He's been the one seeking it, according to radio. It sounds like he was the one to go the extra mile. If other players are having issues with that, it would be their problem not Andersons or Coach Oliver. I don't know if there is or isn't team chemistry issues- but if this one of them, this is just silly, and we apparently need to grow up.

That is silly I agree. Will keep those comments to myself in the future. From what I understand Anderson has put in alot of extra time and effort and it definately shows in his performance and shot selection. Hopefully, others are putting in extra time as well to bring us out of this funk we are in.

I'm sure there are alot of frustrated players, frustrated fans and frustrated coaches at this point. After last year its not the start everyone wanted and emotions are flowing freely. There is lots of time but as mentioned many times changes have to be made from everyones perspective. I'm sure there are many issues that need resolved. Go Sioux