SiouxSports.com Forum

Embedding YouTube Videos - how do you?

Goon

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best part of my day is when I get rickrolled.

I just found my new Halloween costume: Tucked in jean shirt to my jeans. Shades. Slicked back hair.

I just have to practice my corny dancing.

You've just been rickrolled in person..!

Our conference mates, Eastern Washington University getting rickrolled during a basketball game ;)

• 3 years later...

How come when I copy and paste a Youtube link, it doesn't embed the video, but just shows the link?  I used this one in another thread, but it doesn't embed the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLiuMkGCOC4

Thanks.

The thing that jumps out at me is that your URL is actually a live link. If you use the "insert link" button (or paste in the HTML for a link), it will render that as a link and not convert it to an embedded video.

If you just paste the URL in as if it were normal text, it should convert that to an embedded video.

The thing that jumps out at me is that your URL is actually a live link. If you use the "insert link" button (or paste in the HTML for a link), it will render that as a link and not convert it to an embedded video.

If you just paste the URL in as if it were normal text, it should convert that to an embedded video.

I may be slow on the uptake here.  I did just copy and paste the link into the text that I was typing.  I did not click the Link button and then paste it in there.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

I may be slow on the uptake here.  I did just copy and paste the link into the text that I was typing.  I did not click the Link button and then paste it in there.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

That was just my guess, in that it was the only way I could duplicate the effect of your posts (a URL that turned into a hyperlink instead of an embedded video).

What are the exact steps are you following? e.g. what's the browser, what exact clicks/keyboard shortcuts are you using to copy and then paste the link?

That was just my guess, in that it was the only way I could duplicate the effect of your posts (a URL that turned into a hyperlink instead of an embedded video).

What are the exact steps are you following? e.g. what's the browser, what exact clicks/keyboard shortcuts are you using to copy and then paste the link?

All I did was go to Youtube and found the video I was looking for.  Copied the link.  Came to SS.com and started my post - entered my text and pasted the link directly in.

I'm using IE 11.

delete the s on https

I actually tested that myself. If I copy Ray77's link and paste it into a new post it doesn't work because it comes as a link, not just a URL. If I extract just the full URL and paste it into a post, it works. So it's nothing about the URL, it's something about the process.

I also tried all the different editing modes, including plain text/WYSIWYG and HTML enabled, no difference.

All I did was go to Youtube and found the video I was looking for.  Copied the link.  Came to SS.com and started my post - entered my text and pasted the link directly in.

I'm using IE 11.

Can't imagine it's a browser issue, but I'll try to get in front of an IE 11 machine and try it. The reason I'm so focused on the exact steps is something (perhaps the forum software itself, but perhaps something you're doing) is converting the URL into a link (including the tags that make it an active link instead of just text). The forum feature that recognizes Youtube URLs and turns them into embedded videos intentionally ignores URLs in links.

• 2 months later...

Now, what I found in doing that:

I had to use YouTube XML tags manually. Remember, here it's [ youtube ] and [ /youtube ] but without the extra spaces.

Make sure you have a WWW link and not a mobile "m.youtube.com" link if you're coming off a portable device.

And yes, make sure it's http:// not https://