SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol contract extension time???????

Siouxfull

My question was if this is the last season of his deal. I know no one knows if he will get a new deal for sure. But i am sure he will.. End of my question. I don’t want this to turn into a will he or does he deserve a new deal talk.

I am not sure anyone knows, as most of us know Dave Hakstol is basically a close to the vest kind of guy and the only way we will find out if he has signed a new deal is when the University or the Grand Forks Herald announces that Hak has signed an extension. I mean the newspaper guys can't even get him to tell them who his goaltender is going to be from week to week. :)

Lock him up. It'd be a terrible decision by this program to let him get away. Hak is our guy! He delivers every year and he will win us a Natty, no questions in my book.

That's funny but I wonder what some would have said during the chat on Saturday night? :lol:

Lock him up. It'd be a terrible decision by this program to let him get away. Hak is our guy! He delivers every year and he will win us a Natty, no questions in my book.

He delivers every year all right. A big ol CHOKEJOB every year. You're right, we can count on him to deliver that every year.

• Upvote 1

Hakstol has done an excellent job with the program. He has produced EVERYTHING but an NCAA championship, which as we saw again last year is really a timing and luck of the draw deal in a one and done. I have no doubt that in a best of 7 playoff, the NCAA title game would've been UND vs BC last year...but it is a one and done and you don't get any do-overs. He deserves a nice, long term deal. I'd also give him free reign to pay Eades like a head coach and give him a budget to see if Brad Berry might want to come back and coach D for six figures.

Give Hak $250 per with inflators and championship bonuses NCAA, Conference, Conference Tourney along with a long-term payout ala Blaisers $500k annuity.

Give Eades $150 with inflators and bonuses.

Give Hak another $100 with inflators and bonuses to go after Berry

• Upvote 1

Hak will be getting an extension soon. It would be a huge mistake to let the guy go. In my opinion he is currently the best coach in college hockey. If he keeps it up I have a feeling he will be a long term coach at UND, like Red Berenson at Michigan and Jerry York at BC. Sure the athletic facilities help majorly in helping him recruit who he wants, but he has proved that he can coach. His teams are always amazing in the second half of seasons and that has to do with coaching.

As a gopher fan of course I don't want him to stay there :p but it is obvious that he will. People that say he needs to be fired because he can't win a championship need to shut up because they obviously don't know a good coach when they see one.

Although it does seem to be that his teams always trip up in the big games...i'm not sure why that is but given time he'll correct that.

Hakstol has done an excellent job with the program. He has produced EVERYTHING but an NCAA championship, which as we saw again last year is really a timing and luck of the draw deal in a one and done. I have no doubt that in a best of 7 playoff, the NCAA title game would've been UND vs BC last year...but it is a one and done and you don't get any do-overs. He deserves a nice, long term deal. I'd also give him free reign to pay Eades like a head coach and give him a budget to see if Brad Berry might want to come back and coach D for six figures.

Give Hak $250 per with inflators and championship bonuses NCAA, Conference, Conference Tourney along with a long-term payout ala Blaisers $500k annuity.

Give Eades $150 with inflators and bonuses.

Give Hak another $100 with inflators and bonuses to go after Berry

Totally agree.

Here is a partial list:

Hak took over the premier college hockey program in the country seven years ago and has not only maintained, but added to the program. He has a .653 winning percentage in those 7 years. He's been a 6 time Spencer Penrose finalist and taken the Sioux to the Frozen Four 5 times. He's won 2 of the last 3 MacNaughton Cup's and last year had the 3rd winningest season in program history. Last year he had a program record 16 student athletes on the WCHA All-Academic team and 5 of them were WCHA Scholar Athlete's.

Please list your credentials/accomplishments over the last 7 years.

He also has a Hobey Baker winner and a finalist in Frattin(He should have won it)that is huge to me, the best players in college hockey.

• Upvote 1

He also has a Hobey Baker winner and a finalist in Frattin(He should have won it)that is huge to me, the best players in college hockey.

Also, by leaving the door open for Frattin to return to the team after being suspended he afforded a young man an opportunity to develop not only on the ice, but off the ice as well. He could have taken the hard line and said Frattin is done, but he let the student-athlete make the choice for himself as to whether he was done or not. I think Hakstol's handling of the situation speaks volumes about the way this program strives to develop its players. In my eyes, he should be North Dakota's head coach for as long as he wants the job.

• Upvote 4

Here is a partial list:

Hak took over the premier college hockey program in the country seven years ago and has not only maintained, but added to the program. He has a .653 winning percentage in those 7 years. He's been a 6 time Spencer Penrose finalist and taken the Sioux to the Frozen Four 5 times. He's won 2 of the last 3 MacNaughton Cup's and last year had the 3rd winningest season in program history. Last year he had a program record 16 student athletes on the WCHA All-Academic team and 5 of them were WCHA Scholar Athlete's.

Please list your credentials/accomplishments over the last 7 years.

No problem pal. I've brought us the same amount of National Championships as Hakstol has. And I'm doing it for FREE. He has had the most talent in the last decade than any other team in the country and still has produced SQUAT.

You "happy to be there" fans can take all of your frozen four "appearances". I've been a UND hockey fan for 2 decades and expect NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS from a program with the history that UND has.

Hakstol CHOKES time and time again and gets outcoached by Hockey East time and time again. We don't need to pay a coach an arm and a leg to do that.

So again, my "resume" for you includes ZERO National Championships. The same that our overrated coach has. Good enough for ya?

• Upvote 1

No problem pal. I've brought us the same amount of National Championships as Hakstol has. And I'm doing it for FREE. He has had the most talent in the last decade than any other team in the country and still has produced SQUAT.

You "happy to be there" fans can take all of your frozen four "appearances". I've been a UND hockey fan for 2 decades and expect NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS from a program with the history that UND has.

Hakstol CHOKES time and time again and gets outcoached by Hockey East time and time again. We don't need to pay a coach an arm and a leg to do that.

So again, my "resume" for you includes ZERO National Championships. The same that our overrated coach has. Good enough for ya?

You can have your opinion. I'm a Hakstol fan, despite the postseason disappointments. The man has done a great job, is one of the most respected coaches in college hockey, has built a program that is respected in the pro ranks, and I'll bet he himself is as respected in the pro ranks.

He understands there is more to the "program" than just talented kids. He's maintained and perhaps enhanced a program that attracts great players, where former players regularly come back (or speak fondly of once they have moved on).

He brings in players that we can cheer for.

He's not been perfect, but he's as close as I could ask for without winning the last game of the season.

I've no problem with him as the coach. We're pretty lucky. We could do so much worse.

• Upvote 3

You can have your opinion. I'm a Hakstol fan, despite the postseason disappointments. The man has done a great job, is one of the most respected coaches in college hockey, has built a program that is respected in the pro ranks, and I'll bet he himself is as respected in the pro ranks.

He understands there is more to the "program" than just talented kids. He's maintained and perhaps enhanced a program that attracts great players, where former players regularly come back (or speak fondly of once they have moved on).

He brings in players that we can cheer for.

He's not been perfect, but he's as close as I could ask for without winning the last game of the season.

I've no problem with him as the coach. We're pretty lucky. We could do so much worse.

Exactly. Well put. Who else would you rather have? The man is not perfect (only one was) and no coach can avoid what happened to his best team last year. One of his teams will eventually get it done, maybe even this year. One never knows, just look at Sandy and Duluth last year. Calling for his head two or three weeks before his team claims the ultimate prize. Hakstol is doing just fine.