SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

How do you know they did an outstanding job? If you are playing guys that can't stop an opponent once in a game, you would think those young guys should be playing if they are outstanding. I guess I'll wait to see how they eventually pan out until I say that they are outstanding classes.

Yeah, I think outstanding is a bit of a stretch, especially since we haven't played the majority of the true freshmen and only a selective few of the redshirt freshmen. Don't know what those classes can be until they see consistent playing time.

Yeah, I think outstanding is a bit of a stretch, especially since we haven't played the majority of the true freshmen and only a selective few of the redshirt freshmen. Don't know what those classes can be until they see consistent playing time.

I agree. I'm not sure how you could possibly rate anything outside of the receiving corps as "outstanding" right now, let alone come to that conclusion on a full recruiting class. We won't know that answer for another couple of years.

I'm still waiting for the coach that gets up to the podium for the recruiting presser in the first week of February to announce, "this class stinks, we got killed out there." They all declare victory.

I'm talking about overall caliber of recruits as being outstanding in the last two classes. Just look at them compared to the three previous classes. It's not even close. Just look at the LB recruits we have that are tFR and rsFR. Tons of potential. Also Kuksa has shown some good ability in his limited role.

The problem I keep seeing in this thread and others ....... excuses. People keep coming up with reasons we aren't competitive, but other programs have transitioned and continue success. I understand we may have stolen a few from other schools, but they have gotten MANY more athletes that we wanted and couldn't land. As for the comment on a player "keeping his grades up", that is part of recruiting. You not only recruit talent, but kids that are smart enough to manage school and football. If they aren't smart enough to stay eligible, they probably aren't smart enough to do their job on the field either.

We need to quit looking back at 2001 and 2003 and focus on success every year. I am tired of talking about a championship 10 years ago when our neighbors to the south are winning them at the next level.

• Upvote 1

The problem I keep seeing in this thread and others ....... excuses. People keep coming up with reasons we aren't competitive, but other programs have transitioned and continue success. I understand we may have stolen a few from other schools, but they have gotten MANY more athletes that we wanted and couldn't land. As for the comment on a player "keeping his grades up", that is part of recruiting. You not only recruit talent, but kids that are smart enough to manage school and football. If they aren't smart enough to stay eligible, they probably aren't smart enough to do their job on the field either.

We need to quit looking back at 2001 and 2003 and focus on success every year. I am tired of talking about a championship 10 years ago when our neighbors to the south are winning them at the next level.

NDSU fans went through a 21 year championship drought in their #1 sport we are in a 11 year drought in our #2 sport.

• Upvote 1

I'm talking about overall caliber of recruits as being outstanding in the last two classes. Just look at them compared to the three previous classes. It's not even close. Just look at the LB recruits we have that are tFR and rsFR. Tons of potential. Also Kuksa has shown some good ability in his limited role.

Then why aren't they playing? Lots of teams have tFR and rsFR playing. If those classes can't beat out what's on the field, what's that tell you?
  • Upvote 1

As for the comment on a player "keeping his grades up", that is part of recruiting. You not only recruit talent, but kids that are smart enough to manage school and football. If they aren't smart enough to stay eligible, they probably aren't smart enough to do their job on the field either.

Keeping grades up is more about effort than intelligence. Most people are smart enough to maintain at least a C average in college if they want to.

I was fortunate enough to hear Lou Holtz when he was in Grand "Junction" this week. (Yes, Holtz messed that up in his intro. :D )

Here's his message:

1. Trust - do you trust me; do I trust you.

2. Commitment - are you committed; are you doing everything you can to pull in the same direction with me

3. Care - do you care about me; Holtz phrased it as "love" more than once, as in "brotherly love".

Trust. Commitment. Care.

And you have to create and build on them in that order.

Would I trust a teammate auditioning for "Dance Fever" on the sidelines when I'm on the field busting my hump for the same team? Surely there's no commitment from the "Denny Terrio" wannabe. Frankly, I would soon not give a rip about that guy. Right there is epic fail of all three (trust, commitment, care). That's a team breaker according to Holtz.

Holtz's other message? WIN.

Wait ...

WIN as in ... W.I.N. ...

What's

Important

Now.

Auditioning for "Dance Fever" on the sidelines. That's no way to WIN. Dance moves are not ... what's important now.

Lou Holtz for UND Football coach.

Or at least get me a guy who can start putting UND on that path.

</rant>

• Upvote 1

If they aren't smart enough to put in the effort they are not intelligent.

How narrow minded of you.

Not putting in the effort fails the Commitment criteria.

If that makes me narrow minded, ... good.

WIN.

What's important now.

When in school, school.

When in class, class.

When in study hall, study.

When on football field, football.

• Upvote 1

That is not narrow minded.If an athlete is not willing to put in the effort to study and maintain eligibility in high school what would make you think he would do it in college. If you're struggling in college to maintain your eligibility then maybe it would be a good idea to focus on your schooling rather than athletics. Remember they are student / athletes and since few go on to play professionally they should worry much more about getting a degree.

How narrow minded of you.

I really hope that you're not the type of fan that only cares about the athletic program verses caring about the athletes and how they become productive in the future. If I am narrow minded because I look at 18 to 23 year old kids as more than a statistic, then I guess I am narrow minded.

I really hope that you're not the type of fan that only cares about the athletic program verses caring about the athletes and how they become productive in the future. If I am narrow minded because I look at 18 to 23 year old kids as more than a statistic, then I guess I am narrow minded.

What if the young man has undiagnosed ADHD or a learning disorder. I remember a story about former NFL great DT Pat Williams. He basically couldn't read in college which made him unable to get good grades or learn a playbook. He's a smart man so it wasn't intelligence that was holding him back. As it turns out he had some disorder that made it almost impossible to read off of white paper. They found out that he was able to read just fine off of red paper and he got good grades from then on.

Sometimes issues with grades are more complex than just either they aren't smart or they don't care. We don't know why a guy has trouble in school so a blanket statement about someone's intelligence without the full story is just plain not fair to that person.

Don't get me wrong, grades should be priority number one since most of these guys will need that education after football even if they are in the .1% that goes pro.

I'm not talking about those rare kids that haven't been diagnosed (which is rare these days). I am talking about recruiting kids in that aren't on the fringe of scraping by to get into college and then struggle to stay eligible. Those kids hurt your program by dropping out, failing school and waste a scholarship that could have been given to someone else. That is how you create holes in a recruiting class and a team.

So Pat Williams had Commitment, it just wasn't working for him.

He made the Commitment. People whoTrusted that he was doing the best he could at school Cared about him enough to figure out what's wrong.

Sounds like Pat was in a solid program.

"Dance Fever" guys need not apply.

I didn't see the jackass dancing on the sidelines but either a fellow fr should have said something or an upperclassman should have laid into him. The coaches have to focus on the game and on the players who are playing they can't be worried about how the fr are acting. But if they do happen to see it I would expect them to end it quickly

My "Dance Fever" references are a microcosm of what's wrong right now.

As fans, how do we Care when we don't see Commitment. <- "Dance Fever"; missed alignments and assignments; missed tackles; no push from the offensive line.

When you don't see Commitment from the players how do you Trust them or the coaches?

It's a complete breakdown of Trust, Commitment, and Care.

I didn't see the jackass dancing on the sidelines but either a fellow fr should have said something or an upperclassman should have laid into him. The coaches have to focus on the game and on the players who are playing they can't be worried about how the fr are acting. But if they do happen to see it I would expect them to end it quickly

So you are saying there are multiple student athletes on und's football team that don't care? This sounds like a leadership problem.