SiouxSports.com Forum

2011-12 Season

UND Fan

Just read on the game notes for the South Dakota State game about the sophomores. Last year as freshmen they accounted for 64.4% of our scoring and this year it is up to 73.4% of our scoring. WOW It sais volumes about this class and what they are accomplishing. Hope the shelf is not bare when they all graduate. Amazing stat I thought.

Its probably going to be a 15 win season. Tougher schedule this year I believe. Could be a little better if some adjustments are made by the coaches and players. I don't see 19 wins like last year.

I agree, 14-16 wins max. Probably 2-6 with the remainder of the NC schedule and 8-4 or 9-3 in the conference. Nothing to really get overly hyped about until next year.

What is everyone's thoughts on how this season will end up? The only game where they have been dominated was last nights game against SDSU otherwise they had chances to win all of the games.

This team is regressing. It might even struggle to stay ahead of Houston Baptist for fourth place in the Great West. NJIT is actually rather decent (took Oakland to OT on the road), and Utah Valley is the class of the league. 12 or 13 wins, max, unless some major adjustments are done.

In arguing with 26 on AGS about Sioux basketball, I crunched some numbers and found it quite interesting.

UND is 5-12 (.294)vs current Summit League teams (including South Dakota, and including this season). UND went 16-12, 8-23, 19-15(won the GWC title and played in the CIT Tourny), 4-5 (currently) total of 47-55 .461 so far in transition.

(I left out the comparison to NDSU)

What a rollercoaster of a transition we have had, but its nice to go from 8 wins to 19 wins. We just need to catch a break or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Why the GWC's records are poor:

SOS:

Utah Valley 170

UND 223

Houston Baptist 205

Texas-Pan American 54

NJIT 28

Chicago State 46

Avg: 121 12-45

Compare to other conferences and their records (DI games only):

Summit: 153.9 54-48

Big Sky: 120.2 28-52

Big 10: 244.8 114-26 (I used Big 10 since they are #1 in the Sagarin ratings)

Texas Pan America only lost by 5 on the road at St. John's. Pretty impressive.

SDSU beat Washington on the road. As I write this the Bison are tied with the Gophers after leading by up to 12 in the first half. Bison start 1 Freshman and 4 Sophs. Very comparable to UND. Gonna be a fun next few years if UND and NDSU continue to play with the talented young players. Too bad they are not in the same conference. UND better find some "bigs".!!!

Gophers come back to lead at half, but the Bison gave them fits. UND vs NDSU at the Ralph should be fun, but the Sioux better be ready, this is a talented Bison team.

I really think we need to try to get Josh Gentry and Lenny Antwi some more playing time. In the game at home against SDSU the only time either of them played was in the final minute when the game was already over. A little disappointing not seeing what these two can do when I guess they were talented enough to not redshirt.

I really think we need to try to get Josh Gentry and Lenny Antwi some more playing time. In the game at home against SDSU the only time either of them played was in the final minute when the game was already over. A little disappointing not seeing what these two can do when I guess they were talented enough to not redshirt.

Based on what they have done when in the games they should have red-shirted. Both have shot extremely bad. What makes it so tough for them is the sophomore class that has done so well. I dont see either one of them being close to anyone in this class, thus limited playing time. Also, with both of them suspended a game for breaking team rules does not help. I believe the coaches gave them a chance and they have just not performed in games and I assume in practice also. Thats where playing time is generally won. Go Sioux

• 2 weeks later...

I believe its time to play only 8-9 players. We keep playing a few guys 4-5 minutes for what reason. We need the key players more minutes so they can be more in the flow. Playing somebody 4 minutes and keeping a player that can contribute more on the bench makes no sense at this point in the season. We have some proven bench players in Allard, Schuler, Goodman that need more minutes and keep Archer, Antwi,Gentry and Haugen out. There 4-5 minutes need to go to the first 3 mentioned. Antwi and Gentry should have been red shirted. Allard, Schuler and Goodman can do alot more good things for an additional 4-5 mintues a game than Archer, Antwi , Gentry and Haugen. The season is half over and changes need to be made to improve. Go Sioux

I believe its time to play only 8-9 players. We keep playing a few guys 4-5 minutes for what reason. We need the key players more minutes so they can be more in the flow. Playing somebody 4 minutes a keeping a player that can contribute more on the bench makes no sense at this point in the season. We have some proven bench players in Allard, Schuler, Goodman that need more minutes and keep Archer, Antwi,Gentry and Haugen out. There 4-5 minutes need to go to the first 3 mentioned. Antwi and Gentry should have been red shirted. Allard, Schuler and Goodman can do alot more good things for an additional 4-5 mintues a game than Archer, Antwi , Gentry and Haugen. The season is half over and changes need to be made to improve. Go Sioux

Coach Jones was asked that question on the Coaches Show last week as to why Gentry and Antwi did not redshirt. He replied when it get's down to it- it's the student athletes decision. So it sounds like they chose not to. You can encourage a player to redshirt but he or she does not have to. Everyone has to make that decision for themselves and have their own time table to work with. Schuler has been averaging pretty good minutes all season as has Allard off the bench- so I really don't see an issue with minutes already with those 2 off the bench. Goodman was out last night- not feeling well, but what did Gentry play- about 2 minutes, Antwi 1, Archer 1, and Haugen 2. I think the minutes they received last night are a good indicator of who is going to be getting court time, in the future. I really don't think the minutes those players received were that consequential to the other players. I guess will see how it plays out.

Coach Jones was asked that question on the Coaches Show last week as to why Gentry and Antwi did not redshirt. He replied when it get's down to it- it's the student athletes decision. So it sounds like they chose not to. You can encourage a player to redshirt but he or she does not have to. Everyone has to make that decision for themselves and have their own time table to work with. Schuler has been averaging pretty good minutes all season as has Allard off the bench- so I really don't see an issue with minutes already with those 2 off the bench. Goodman was out last night- not feeling well, but what did Gentry play- about 2 minutes, Antwi 1, Archer 1, and Haugen 2. I think the minutes they received last night are a good indicator of who is going to be getting court time, in the future. I really don't think the minutes those players received were that consequential to the other players. I guess will see how it plays out.

I have to admit--after the play last year of the true freshman class, and some of the hype surrounding Gentry and Antwi coming in, I really expected one or both to at least approach the level of play shown by Huff, Webb and Anderson last year. It hasn't even been close. When you combine their apparent unwillingness to red-shirt (aside from Benton), the suspensions earlier this season, and the lack of production on the court, it has not been a good start for this particular class.

Some young players, whose lives have revolved around BB for the last few years, can not handle the fact that they are not playing (even though they are practicing). They get themselves in trouble - inside or o/s the university. Other players use the redshirt year not only to continue to develop their game, their strength, etc. but they also use the year to adapt use to college life, going to classes (making the necessary grades in some cases), freedom from parents, being away from their GF, etc.

When a coach has a concern about the first possibility, they are much more apt to agree with an athlete's request not to redshirt. There have been numerous examples of this over the last 20 years on the men's side. In some cases, it was absolutely the right decision. In other cases, it was not.

I will also comment that I think the majority athletes know before they arrive on campus whether they will redshirt or not. That discussion is part of the recruiting process. Some kids are very agreeable to redshirting, others will rule you out if they think they will be redshirted their first year.

My comment above was not intended to relate to Gentry and Antwi. I have no insight into their situations.

Greenteam, I enjoy reading your posts and you are generally right on with your comments. I do think that as this season continues into conference play that the minutes some of our un-productive subs are playing can change the result of the game. Haugen has been playing 5 minutes generally in the first half and none in the second. They tend to bring Antwi in for a couple of minutes in the second half and the same with Gentry. These 3 in particular have not produced scoring or anywhere else and in a tightly contested game that is around 10 minutes a game we have players in that are not contributing at all. I would rather have Goodman, Allard or Schuler fill these 10 minutes is all I am saying. Yes all three are getting descent minutes but its time to play our best all the minutes possible. Huff, Anderson, Webb will get their 30 minutes but the reseve minutes should be narrowed down to a few players. One possession will make a difference in alot of the upcoming games. We've already lost several games by one possession this year that we should have won.

I appreciate the positive comment. My philosophy has always at least attempt to measured in my responses...doesn't always work out but if I can be some of the time then hopefully I can play a role in these forum discussions. I appreciate your passion and certainly can see your perspective on this, in fact I can't disagree with it. In fact I think that your rotation right now is at 9 players with Schuler, Allard, Goodman & a little Wilmer off the bench. I do look back on last season and I think as we got into Great West play think we did shorten things up somewhat as the season progressed. I think that because we have so many non-conference games and very little post season opportunities- (NIT, only if we would have beaten Kansas & New Mexico- CIT-GWC Tournament Champion) that they want to use every opportunity as an evaluation of the players. Consider this... next year in the Big Sky we will have a far shorter non-conference campaign- so we will have to have our ducks in row in regards to rotation that much sooner- because it's really tough to experiment & evaluate when each conference game is so incredibly important.

Wow Sioux2013, I agree with you twice in one season. I'm shocked! I agree that the 3-5 minutes Antwi, Gentry and Haugen get can get divided to Goodman, Shuler and Allard. WHY, are they in the game? It does nothing for our offense or defense. Only 8-9 players need to get in. Why is Jones playing 10-11 people! It's time to stop being Mr nice guy for Jones.

Wow Sioux2013, I agree with you twice in one season. I'm shocked! I agree that the 3-5 minutes Antwi, Gentry and Haugen get can get divided to Goodman, Shuler and Allard. WHY, are they in the game? It does nothing for our offense or defense. Only 8-9 players need to get in. Why is Jones playing 10-11 people! It's time to stop being Mr nice guy for Jones.

We can finally be friends. I knew in the long run we could work things out. Go Sioux

Again, we are only reaching the halfway point of the season. They played because it was non-conference and you had to evaluate what you had. 14 games is a good evaluation period. Relax. I would be shocked if the bench didn't shorten up as they move forward through their season. Being nice has nothing to do with it. Giving guys opportunities to showcase what they can do has everything to do with it. Its all about the INFORMATION. How come you can't do that in practice? You may ask? Well, some guys maybe terrible practice players but when they get in the game- their gamers or vise versa, maybe a guy is all world in practice but really struggles in game mode- you won't know until you play them. They have, and I don't begrudge them one bit for it. Again, lets see what the rotation will be as we move through the rest of the season.