SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 NHL Draft - at the X

AZSIOUX

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe that Grimaldi has fallen as far as he has..........I guess size does matter in the NHL more than I thought it did.....

I can't believe it either. Whoever does draft him is definitely getting a steal though.

Edit: Rocco Grimaldi not drafted in the 1st round. Looks like we'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Being a greedy Sioux fan......its nice that Grimaldi has fallen a bit.....could mean that he's around the university for a few more years than we think..... ;)

I hope he gets drafted early tomorrow. Great kid, great family, great heart. He'll turn heads in the NHL, and he'll turn heads for the Sioux next season.

Perfect fit for Simpson as far as playing in his hometown! Nice to see that he got picked up by that franchise. The only thing that worries me a little bit is the youth movement that is ongoing in Edmonton and I hope that he doesn't get swooped up into the minor leagues and pushed up before he is ready. He'll be 18 when he starts his sophomore season, so hopefully they let him stay and develop.

Perfect fit for Simpson as far as playing in his hometown! Nice to see that he got picked up by that franchise. The only thing that worries me a little bit is the youth movement that is ongoing in Edmonton and I hope that he doesn't get swooped up into the minor leagues and pushed up before he is ready. He'll be 18 when he starts his sophomore season, so hopefully they let him stay and develop.

the oilers organization has stated in the past how happy they are with how hak develops kids, so I would expect to see him here this fall and perhaps next year as well.

the oilers organization has stated in the past how happy they are with how hak develops kids, so I would expect to see him here this fall and perhaps next year as well.

This is a good thing. Who are other UND players that Edmonton has drafted in the past? These are the only ones I could find.

~Matt Greene

~Dillon Simpson

~Taylor Chorney

~Gord Sherven (one of my dad's favorite players)

~Geoff Smith

Hmmmm.....three defensemen that played under Hak......interesting. :lol:

This is a good thing. Who are other UND players that Edmonton has drafted in the past? These are the only ones I could find.

~Matt Greene

~Dillon Simpson

~Taylor Chorney

~Gord Sherven (one of my dad's favorite players)

~Geoff Smith

Hmmmm.....three defensemen that played under Hak......interesting. :lol:

NHL.com has a nice video interview with Dillion Simpson and his dad "Sons make fathers proud at Entry Draft". They have nothing but good things to say about the Fighting Sioux program.

Some news and notes from the Draft

J.T. Miller

hv1f12.jpg

NY Rangers Website - Miller being drafted

NY Rangers Website - Miller Interview

Blog - Rangers Pick J.T. Miller

Article - Rangers Take American J.T. Miller

Rocco Grimaldi

iz6cut.jpg

Florida Panthers Website - Grimaldi Press Interview

Article - Panthers Add Blend to Prospects Cupboard

Article - Florida Panthers Draft Rocco Grimaldi

Dillon Simpson

mx0cpe.jpg

NHL.com Interview - Dillon & Craig Simpson

Article - Oilers make Dillon Simpson first pick in Round 4

Article - Oilers Study History to Help Build Future

Anybody else find it funny that Seth Ambroz said that "North Dakota is more of an ideal school for me, the type of player I am" during his interview after being drafted. Wow! He also stumbled with his words saying he could come in and help change ... or not change, but make an impact with the gophers. Kind of speaks volumes. Let's see if the ideal North Dakota type player is liked by gopher fans. My bet is that the hypocrits will like him and he won't be deemed "dirty" by them. I'm not so sure a lot of gopher fans appreciate the type of player that NHL teams love -- those that are hard to play against. You hear that phrase thrown around all the time by NHL teams, and it certainly is a hallmark of Hakstol's teams. I sure hope I never hear a Sioux recruit say "Minnesota is an ideal school for me".

Anybody else find it funny that Seth Ambroz said that "North Dakota is more of an ideal school for me, the type of player I am" during his interview after being drafted. Wow! He also stumbled with his words saying he could come in and help change ... or not change, but make an impact with the gophers. Kind of speaks volumes. Let's see if the ideal North Dakota type player is liked by gopher fans. My bet is that the hypocrits will like him and he won't be deemed "dirty" by them. I'm not so sure a lot of gopher fans appreciate the type of player that NHL teams love -- those that are hard to play against. You hear that phrase thrown around all the time by NHL teams, and it certainly is a hallmark of Hakstol's teams. I sure hope I never hear a Sioux recruit say "Minnesota is an ideal school for me".

supposedly he interviewed really bad at the combine and has a bad work ethic. Sounds like a Gopher hockey player to me. I just kept thinking that had to be why he dropped so low at the draft. I was just sitting there at the draft, really surprised he was dropping so far and all those other Minnesota high school kids went earlier...

I heard the Seth Ambroz interview too, and had the same reaction: "then why are you going to Minnesota"?

Other schools with more NHL-style games and coaches with a proven history of developing players include Denver, Wisconsin, UNO and UMD.

Seems like he's destined to be a one-and-done in Minnesota.

http://www.toromagazine.com/sports/throwin-smoke/5e2ee6dd-33d0-5534-3129-e2be67090f6e/Lets-Hear-it-for-the-Little-Guy/

Scouts predict he could become the best American-born player ever.

At the prospect combine this year, his 6.8 per cent body fat was tied for the lowest. He was fifth with a 29.8-inch vertical leap and fourth with 39 push-ups.

So why did Rocco Grimaldi slip to the second round of this weekend

Grimaldi - 19 overall

Miller - 20 overall

Simpson - 81 overall

St. Clair - 181 overall (later rounds the Euros tend to move up and the North America guys move down relative to mock drafts)

So let's see how I did ... :blush:

Grimaldi 19, actual 33 = -14

Miller 20, actual 15 = +5

Simpson 81, actual 92 = -11

St. Clair 181, actual 212* = -31

Total: -51

* 212 is "undrafted" as the last pick was 211.

supposedly he interviewed really bad at the combine and has a bad work ethic. Sounds like a Gopher hockey player to me. I just kept thinking that had to be why he dropped so low at the draft. I was just sitting there at the draft, really surprised he was dropping so far and all those other Minnesota high school kids went earlier...

His draft profile said he had a very good work ethic, so I guess time will tell on that.

That's the gossip. I honestly felt for the kid, he was NOT smiling when he came out of the stands. A bad work ethic (if true) is of his own making, but it still had to be an absolute nightmare sitting in the stands and feeling people's eyes on him. It was like last year w/Fowler (when he was shown like 500 times on camera as he dropped further and further in the first round) but multiplied by about 100.

Simpson is smiling wider than some first-rounders. Good for him!!!

That's the gossip. I honestly felt for the kid, he was NOT smiling when he came out of the stands. A bad work ethic (if true) is of his own making, but it still had to be an absolute nightmare sitting in the stands and feeling people's eyes on him. It was like last year w/Fowler (when he was shown like 500 times on camera as he dropped further and further in the first round) but multiplied by about 100.

Simpson is smiling wider than some first-rounders. Good for him!!!

Pretty cool deal, playing for your favorite squad, where your dad helped hoist cups, on a young team that should be very good in the near future...

Just out of curiosity, if a guy Grimaldi's size went in the second round, why wouldn't more NHL teams be looking harder at someone like Ryan Duncan?

i would say their all around skill set at that age were uncomparable. grimaldi has everything but size but he seems to make up for that in all other areas from what you read and here. grimaldi may have parise/oshie skills in his bag. i look forward to seeing them displayed at the ralph

sorry if a re-post

grimaldi1.jpg

Hf NCAA Draft review

The WCHA once again dominated NCAA conferences at the NHL Draft. Incoming University of North Dakota center J.T. Miller led the parade of conference players selected, going in the first round (16th overall) to the New York Rangers. Miller, who will be part of North Dakota's stellar incoming class this fall, was one of three Fighting Sioux players taken in this year's draft - all of whom went in the first four rounds.

It is often said that good things come in small packages. Apparently the Florida Panthers and the Columbus Blue Jackets thinks so too. Florida's only two collegiate selections in this year's draft are under 5'9, centers, and were taken relatively early. University of North Dakota-bound Rocco Grimaldi, the smallest player in this year's draft at 5'6, was chosen 33rd overall (second round).

Looking Ahead to 2012

The early top NCAA committed player for the 2012 NHL Draft is Sioux City (USHL) defenseman Jordan Schmaltz. The Verona, WI has committed to the University of North Dakota for the fall of 2012. USNTDP defenseman Jacob Trouba is the early top overall US player for next year's draft. Currently uncommitted, Trouba has reportedly narrowed his college choices down to the University of Michigan and the University of Notre Dame. At this point it is unclear whether Trouba will go the collegiate route or the Major Junior route (the Kitchener Rangers hold his OHL rights).