SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I wish this thing was over...like 5 years ago. GFC started using Knights in the fall of 1994...how many people (say under 20) know Central used to be Redskins. That name is fading with every graduating class and all you see in stores and around GF is Knights gear. It's a household name now, if people think this won't happen at UND...let's all jump in the Delorian and fast forward to 2035, I think people will be surprised.

I wish this thing was over...like 5 years ago. GFC started using Knights in the fall of 1994...how many people (say under 20) know Central used to be Redskins. That name is fading with every graduating class and all you see in stores and around GF is Knights gear. It's a household name now, if people think this won't happen at UND...let's all jump in the Delorian and fast forward to 2035, I think people will be surprised.

That is why it is important to get this right

If you are on the committee and you said "yes" to Fighting Greens, Blizzard Dogs, Artic Blaze, Green Pride or Wings (just to select a few) you should look at yourself in the mirror and realize this process isn't for you and step aside.  To try and give any rational thought that any of these names could possibly be the new nickname at the university you were selected to represent is absurd.

beauteous.

taz

That is why it is important to get this right

What's right from my point of view is to select the best available nickname since Fighting Sioux has been retired.

No nickname, Nodaks or North Dakota is not the right choice, in my humble opinion.

Roughriders is the best choice, again in my humble opinion. And the argument that the Roughriders regiment was not within the borders of North Dakota does not matter to me.

Nokotas, Wolves or Cavalry would also be good choices. Again, just my opinion.

Not that my opinion matters to Kelly or the committee.

I understand your opinion is different.

The one thing we can (all?) agree on ... no nickname will be as good as the Fighting Sioux name, but that just goes without saying.

• Upvote 1

To all fans of the nickname "North Dakota Cavalry".  Please do something for me.  Yes, for taz.  Ladies excluded, you already do enough.  Anyway, Google it, then click the first link.  Wait, here, I'll do it for you...

Then, read the first line from this very popular web information service.  Again, because I'm sure I have to help, here it is...

"The 1st Dakota Cavalry was a Union battalion of two companies raised in the Dakota Territory during the American Civil War. They were used for service along the frontier, primarily to protect the settlers during the Sioux Uprising of 1862." (emphasis taz)

That's exactly what the NCAA would want, so by all means let's stick it to the tribe.  Please help me wrap my throbbing head around this entire situation.  What situation?  The situation in which one of the worst names on the list which has the added bonus of insulting the Native Americans we had previously intended to honor actually gets considered for selection.

Not to mention the word is hard to say, and most with a lazy tongue will end up referring to the sports teams as the name of a holy place.

Cavalry = Failure of Massive Epicness 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Taz I get it & have some feelings to the Natives that knew we were Honoring them but it seems a majority did not get that & now the name could go in a exact opposite direction - I don't feel it is to get even - it is as much a part of ND history a important part of our history & one that would be very logo & clothing & accessories & marketing favorable

Here's my list of the remaining names that are acceptable, albeit notably inferior, substitutes for Ermines.  They are presented in descending order of quality.

Woolly Mammoths  Northern Lights  North Stars  Flickertails  Explorers  Sundogs  BLIZZARD 

These names are unacceptable for a variety of reasons.  They are presented in no particular order because they're all terrible.

Aeronauts  Aurora  Aviators  Badlanders  Blackhawks  Bombardiers  Cavalry  Charging Nokota  Drillers  ENERGY  Flame  Flames  Fliers  North Dakota  Prarie Hawks  Snow Leopards  roughhriders  STORM  Sundog 

These names are so gawdawfully stupid and nonsensical that the person who voted for them should be struck about the head and shoulders with a large tree branch.  They are presented in no particular order because anyone who reads them deserves whatever they get.

Aeros  Arctic Blaze  Arctic Force  Big Green  Bison Slayers  BLAZE  BLAZING STARS  Blizzard Dogs  Bombers  Fighting Green  Fighting Green Hawks  Fighting Hawks  Fire  Force  Force of North  Global Hawks  Green Bombers  GREEN HAWKS  GREEN PRIDE  Grey Hawks'  Night Hawks  Night Riders  Nighthawks  Nodak  Nodaks  North Force  Pride  Riders  SNOW DOGS  Spirit  Thunder Hawks  Warhawks  Warriors  Warriors of the North  Wings  fighting greens 

• Downvote 2

High Schools using the name Cavalry...

None.

College teams using Cavalry

None.

Professional teams using Cavlary

None.

Cavalry has uniqueness.

Cavalry: so unique that you can't even type the word three times without misspelling it!

Just teasin' ya - I do like the nickname.

To all fans of the nickname "North Dakota Cavalry". Please do something for me. Yes, for taz. Ladies excluded, you already do enough. Anyway, Google it, then click the first link. Wait, here, I'll do it for you...

Then, read the first line from this very popular web information service. Again, because I'm sure I have to help, here it is...

"The 1st Dakota Cavalry was a Union battalion of two companies raised in the Dakota Territory during the American Civil War. They were used for service along the frontier, primarily to protect the settlers during the Sioux Uprising of 1862." (emphasis taz)

That's exactly what the NCAA would want, so by all means let's stick it to the tribe. Please help me wrap my throbbing head around this entire situation. What situation? The situation in which one of the worst names on the list which has the added bonus of insulting the Native Americans we had previously intended to honor actually gets considered for selection.

Not to mention the word is hard to say, and most with a lazy tongue will end up referring to the sports teams as the name of a holy place.

Great post!

Taz I get it & have some feelings to the Natives that knew we were Honoring them but it seems a majority did not get that & now the name could go in a exact opposite direction - I don't feel it is to get even - it is as much a part of ND history a important part of our history & one that would be very logo & clothing & accessories & marketing favorable

"A majority of natives did not get the name was honoring them" Wrong! The people behind this want all of us to believe that, and blame the natives. The minority of natives (from California, and certain tribe leaders) helped, that is helped cause this. Don't blame the Sioux people, they did not cause or even want this to happen.

I was not blaming the majority ? ? ?

But I also think Cavalry should not be looked down on - they were necessary & for the most part honorable & overall should not be deemed not worthy

I was not blaming the majority ? ? ?

But I also think Cavalry should not be looked down on - they were necessary & for the most part honorable & overall should not be deemed not worthy

I could see native americans wanting to get rid of this name before it even hit paper based on what Taz said.

To all fans of the nickname "North Dakota Cavalry".  Please do something for me.  Yes, for taz.  Ladies excluded, you already do enough.  Anyway, Google it, then click the first link.  Wait, here, I'll do it for you...

Then, read the first line from this very popular web information service.  Again, because I'm sure I have to help, here it is...

That's exactly what the NCAA would want, so by all means let's stick it to the tribe.  Please help me wrap my throbbing head around this entire situation.  What situation?  The situation in which one of the worst names on the list which has the added bonus of insulting the Native Americans we had previously intended to honor actually gets considered for selection.

Perhaps you are right that it will be deemed an epic failure, but let's layout it out correctly.  The Sioux Uprising didn't occur in North Dakota.  It occurred in Southwestern Minnesota.  The Dakota Calvary was protecting the settlers, kind of the reason that a lot of folks now live in North Dakota.  

So we can't have Sioux, because it dishonors them.  We can't have Arrows because it is Native American imagery.  We can't have Cavalry because they protected the white folks.

Like Oxbow said, welcome North Dakota Green.  I would say North Dakota White, but that would be racist.

• Upvote 2

That's the beauty of Cavalry -- it shows the epic stupidity of the NCAA's policy.

Irony is a harsh mistress.