SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Alumni

Sheri Kleinsasser Stockmoe, UND alumna, co-chair - Former UND WBB player

Matt Bakke, UND alumnus - Former UND football player

Karl Goehring, UND alumnus - Former UND hockey player

Chuck Horter, UND alumnus - Honorary Letterwinner (1989)

Current Student Athletes

Jesse Fenstermacher, UND student athlete, Men's Track & Field

Nikki Husfeldt, UND student athlete, Women’s Volleyball

Current Students

Tanner Franklin, Student Body President, UND, co-chair

R. J. Morin, UND student - Executive Board Member of UNDIA

UND Faculty/Staff/Other

Sue Jeno, UND faculty and athletic faculty advisor

Sharley Kurtz, UND Staff Senate President

Sandra Mitchell, UND Associate Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion

Jim Mochoruk, UND Chester Fritz Distinguished Professor

Margaret Myers, UND Associate Vice President for Finance and Operations

Susan Walton, UND’s vice president for university and public affairs, will serve as the liaison to the UND leadership team and communications coordinator for the task force. Two professional facilitators, Marie Miyashiro and Kelly O’Keefe, will guide the task force.

Gross. Here come the Sundogs.

I really need a warm-fuzzy-kitties, cute little puppies, duckies and fluffy-bunnies, rainbows and unicorns job title like this: 

Sandra Mitchell, UND Associate Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion 

Where's the VP for "You Gotta Know Your <bleep> From A Hole In The Ground To Graduate From My University". 

I really need a warm-fuzzy-kitties, cute little puppies, duckies and fluffy-bunnies, rainbows and unicorns job title like this: 

Where's the VP for "You Gotta Know Your <bleep> From A Hole In The Ground To Graduate From My University". 

Saw an article/interview on Ms. Mitchell...............what has happened to the university I attended!

Doesn't the article say this committee is to develop the "process" of how it will be chosen?  It didn't say they were going to pick the nickname, maybe they are, I don't honestly know.  From the posts in here, I infer that they are...but when I read the article not so much.  Any idea which is it???

From past experience I would guess that the committee will develop the process and will go through the process.  They will probably send a short list of recommendations to Kelley, and may or may not have a favorite on the list.

Doesn't the article say this committee is to develop the "process" of how it will be chosen?  It didn't say they were going to pick the nickname, maybe they are, I don't honestly know.  From the posts in here, I infer that they are...but when I read the article not so much.  Any idea which is it???

"Over the next few months, the group will participate in a facilitated process designed to map out and gather input for the potential selection of a new nickname and logo for UND.  The team anticipates submitting its recommendations to UND President Robert Kelley by the end of 2014.   While the Task Force is not charged with making a final nickname and logo selection, President Kelley welcomes all final outcomes and recommendations from the Task Force’s work."

This is how GFC had their nickname process, a bunch of names created by the students then chopped down by staff, final 2 voted on by students. Approved by principal,  Here you have input by everyone, chopped down by task members, final names voted upon, then finalized by Kelley. 

I hope they pick a name that is awesome.  Like "Fighting Sioux" or "North Dakota Fighting Sioux" or something exactly like one of those two I just listed.  Actually, I think I should be on the committee, because I'm very impartial, objective.

I also think that Kelley should step in and select one of my suggestions if the committee does not offer at least one, and only one, of them for consideration.  I'm pretty sure I could greatly contribute to the committees' efforts by respecting all opinions and recommendations as long as they are in full agreement with mine and ultimately result in the selection of "Fighting Sioux" as the new official nickname.

I find that people are most respective of other people's choices when the choices aren't completely stupid, moronic, or born of a complete ignorance of all that is so.  To that end, I try to embrace diversity of thought, like when someone suggests a really dumb nickname and then tries desperately to explain why it's something other than a magnificent sh!t sandwich.  Most nicknames are just that; except of course for "Fighting Sioux".  As a member, I will listen to their mindless ramblings, and actually pause gracefully for a few seconds before yelling vulgar insults at them.

Finally, as committee member, I vow to insure the spirit of inclusiveness will extend to all of the North Dakota fans, such that their voice may be heard.  Provided, of course, that the voice is saying something exactly like "Pick Fighting Sioux!", or "Taz Boy is Awesome!!  w/ luv, K. Upton!"  or "Blood test confirms it's not yours, taz!"  and so on...

Please vote for me for walk-on committee member.  I will do my best to represent you, unless you are not very smart.

taz

• Upvote 3