SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I'd take Cavalry in a heartbeat (because of what it would *not* be). 

Aero School? Air Cav! 

And we'd all get cool Stetsons! 

https://www.google.com/search?q=cavalry+stetson&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=hFX_U5CRPNCnggTo6oLIDA&ved=0CB0QsAQ&biw=1442&bih=747 

• Upvote 1

Aero School? Air Cav! 

And we'd all get cool Stetsons! 

https://www.google.com/search?q=cavalry+stetson&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=hFX_U5CRPNCnggTo6oLIDA&ved=0CB0QsAQ&biw=1442&bih=747 

The thing about this name is it will never be as good as Fighting Sioux, but think of the names it could be, Sun Dogs, Blizzard, Mosquitos, Green and White. Then you have Cavalry with a logo (logo I think looks good). We could have a mascot, a person on a horse, unlike a certain school that has a pretend Indian on a horse with a flaming spear. I know people are questioning this because they killed Indians, and buffalo, but its part of our history like Teddy Roosevelt. Who were the Rough Riders....the 1st US volunteer Cavalry. And Rough Riders were suggested by Ron His Horse Is Thunder. Think about that one.

• Upvote 1

I find it hard to believe Cavalry is even a serious consideration. Since we can no longer have the name Sioux, our response is to choose a new nickname based on the Dakota battalions organized to protect settlers FROM Sioux Indians, and kill them, and drive them onto their reservations? Really? And this nickname is not going to be met with any complaints?

I find it hard to believe Cavalry is even a serious consideration. Since we can no longer have the name Sioux, our response is to choose a new nickname based on the Dakota battalions organized to protect settlers FROM Sioux Indians, and kill them, and drive them onto their reservations? Really? And this nickname is not going to be met with any complaints?

That's why it's so perfect:

We're told that "Sioux" is hostile and abusive to Native Americans.

So why not go the total opposite direction from Sioux.

That has to be the opposite of "hostile and abusive", right? ;)

• Upvote 3

That's why it's so perfect:

We're told that "Sioux" is hostile and abusive to Native Americans.

So why not go the total opposite direction from Sioux.

That has to be the opposite of "hostile and abusive", right? ;)

Exactly! It only makes perfect sense....by using there own logic. Rough Riders were Calavry and now your going to tell me people have a problem with Red Rivers name or the State of North Dakotas nickname...well never mind on that last part.

We were told: "Go Sioux!" = "Sitting Bull sucks" by the anti crowd. 

So "Go Cavalry!" must mean "Custer sucks" ... right? Dead gun-totin' white-guy sucks. Nobody can be against that. 

<Anybody know how to get that much sarcasm off a keyboard?> 

3?

Almost 3?

5th grade?

4th grade? 

Walsh Hall, ... boys. 

Same here

Aero School? Air Cav! 

Definitely could live with this

Likewise. I'm convinced you were my RA.

Wow, getting to be a small world...

I'm with you, Siouxphan27...there is NO WAY the good PC'ers that are bound to make up the new nickname committee will even remotely consider something as offensive as "Cavalry."  We'll wind up with something as corny as an eagle poking its head out of a cracked egg...and be called the "Pioneers."  We'll get a list of five equally crappy nicknames handed to us along with the words "pick one and celebrate our new path to enlightenment, understanding, non-offensive-ness, and respect, as we participate in this global world of friendly athletic competition."   

• Upvote 1

I'm with you, Siouxphan27...there is NO WAY the good PC'ers that are bound to make up the new nickname committee will even remotely consider something as offensive as "Cavalry." We'll wind up with something as corny as an eagle poking its head out of a cracked egg...and be called the "Pioneers." We'll get a list of five equally crappy nicknames handed to us along with the words "pick one and celebrate our new path to enlightenment, understanding, non-offensive-ness, and respect, as we participate in this global world of friendly athletic competition."

Why is it offensive? It's a soldier or warrior who fought on horseback. Other examples would be knight or even RoughRiders. Teddy Roosevelt was in a Cavalry, and he is on Mt. Rushmore.

Why is it offensive? It's a soldier or warrior who fought on horseback. Other examples would be knight or even RoughRiders. Teddy Roosevelt was in a Cavalry, and he is on Mt. Rushmore.

Not everyone approves of Mount Rushmore, either...

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/10/04/native-history-construction-mount-rushmore-begins-151588

Actually, I was a bit surprised that RHHiT even suggested Rough Riders...surely someone on the committee from the academic world will object to white soldiers from an earlier time whose uniform is similar to that worn in an era not-so-kind to American Indians will find the term objectionable.

Not everyone approves of Mount Rushmore, either...

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/10/04/native-history-construction-mount-rushmore-begins-151588

Actually, I was a bit surprised that RHHiT even suggested Rough Riders...surely someone on the committee from the academic world will object to white soldiers from an earlier time whose uniform is similar to that worn in an era not-so-kind to American Indians will find the term objectionable.

I hope the nickname committee will play that sound bite on RHHIT suggesting RR would be a great name.

After it's all said and done, I do think Roughriders will be a strong possibility for the new name. I think if RRHS was not already the Roughriders, it would be the overwhelming favorite.

The confusion with that nickname is already showing though...

Is it Roughriders? Rough Riders? Or RoughRiders?

Legitimate question - Miami goes with combined words and the R and H capitalized as RedHawks and UMass-Lowell goes with two separate words as River Hawks. It can be confusing...and annoying.

I'm with you, Siouxphan27...there is NO WAY the good PC'ers that are bound to make up the new nickname committee will even remotely consider something as offensive as "Cavalry." We'll wind up with something as corny as an eagle poking its head out of a cracked egg...and be called the "Pioneers." We'll get a list of five equally crappy nicknames handed to us along with the words "pick one and celebrate our new path to enlightenment, understanding, non-offensive-ness, and respect, as we participate in this global world of friendly athletic competition."

Exactly.

I'm surprised Ron His Horse Is Smarter Than Him hasn't been heard from, objecting to the Cavalry name after it made a splash in the news this week.

Exactly.

I'm surprised Ron His Horse Is Smarter Than Him hasn't been heard from, objecting to the Cavalry name after it made a splash in the news this week.

He doesn't care anymore...Fighting Sioux is dead and that's what was important. He knows that the committee's five choices will be something like this:

Freeze, Northern Lights, Chill, Pink Butterflies, and Glittery Unicorns.