SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Did you grow up in that area, GoalieMask?

Brickmakers was an awesome nickname.

I did - native of Dickinson. i miss the attention that high school sports received out there. Here college sports rules and that is fantastic, but there is something special about the way those small Class B town lived (and worshipped) their HS teams.

How can Bismarck get away with being the Demons, but yet DL couldn't stay the Satans? Just like Fighting Sioux and Fighting Irish, I just don't get it.

I'm pretty sure that the Devils Lake school board changed the name because of complaints by parents. They weren't forced by an outside agency. Parents complained and some held their kids out of school, the school board listened to the parents. There doesn't seem to be the same interest in Bismarck, at least enough to force a change right now.
  • Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure that the Devils Lake school board changed the name because of complaints by parents. They weren't forced by an outside agency. Parents complained and some held their kids out of school, the school board listened to the parents. There doesn't seem to be the same interest in Bismarck, at least enough to force a change right now.

Reverend Dick.

No, I can't make that up. He was a Baptist minister in Devils Lake and spearheaded the campaign to get rid of the name.

Yup. Reverend Dick.

http://espn.go.com/moresports/news/2002/0820/1420455.html

How can Bismarck get away with being the Demons, but yet DL couldn't stay the Satans? Just like Fighting Sioux and Fighting Irish, I just don't get it.

Tell me about it. I was a member of the last class to be the Satans in 03...at the state hockey tournament the radio announcers jokingly called us the Devils Lake "Nothings"...then cam the Sioux debacle. I just can't win when it comes to logos lol.

I would feel better to use UND Flame rather then flames like a hockey team in the great white north. (Taken from posts in June 2011) - However I would prefer just UND because Sioux would be informally used by the fans. Flame without an (s) so it is unique and part of our heritage based on school motto of "Lux et Lex"(Latin) meaning "Light and Law". Flame could work if we had to choose. But not Flame(s)! I have a forty two year history as a student and alum - hard to let go of Sioux because one of my best friends father was 100% Sioux and a Medal of Honor recipient. Both father and son are now deceased and not sure how today they would have felt about the use of the name Sioux. I heard rumors that UND may have the uniform from this great american. That would be cool since my grandmother used to sew the medals on his uniform. This man was a fighting American who was loved by people who shared his ancestry.