SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Why would Rough Riders work? Because many states use the state nickname as the flagship university's moniker. And what is ND's nickname? The Rough Rider State.

Why would Reapers work? Because of history and future. Farmers of the distant past were called reapers. More recently grain harvesting equipment was called a reaper (the McCormick reaper). Because of the ag focus, use that theme on green uniforms. Today there's a UAV designated the MQ-9 Reaper. Use that theme with white jerseys. And the (Grim) Reaper most of us think about with that word? Black jersey. ;)

The only issue I have with names such as Reapers and Sodbusters is there connection to farming. Farming may be one of the top industries in the state, but I don't like the conncection to the "Ag School" to the south. Didn't NDSU use to be called Farmers at one time. Anyways, we poke a lot of fun at the Ag School...I don't know that I would like to have an "Ag" related nickname.

• Upvote 1

The only issue I have with names such as Reapers and Sodbusters is there connection to farming. Farming may be one of the top industries in the state, but I don't like the conncection to the "Ag School" to the south. Didn't NDSU use to be called Farmers at one time. Anyways, we poke a lot of fun at the Ag School...I don't know that I would like to have an "Ag" related nickname.

Agree!! I think we should stay away from farming (leave that to SU) and go towards aviation. On a side note how about Warriors. I know West, Wilder, and Valley had Warriors and got changed but had an Indian head logo associated with it. But if UND doesn't go that route it would be accepted. (just like Golden State of the NBA)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior

A warrior is a person skilled in combat or warfare, especially within the context of a tribal or clan-based society that recognizes a separate warrior class.

As long as it wouldn't go the route of the Temple Owls or Rice Owls logo, I think there's potential...especially with kelly green in the mix...

So the crowd can chant..."let's go hooters, clap clap clap, let's go hooters.

• Upvote 1

A concept done on another forum that I came across...I see a problem with young fans though and parents not being keen on this type of nickname and logo...

yorkton-reapers-andrew-hall.jpg

Those logos are a bit too much "skateboarder/x-games" culture for me.

• Upvote 1

Citadels_display_image.gif?1357080558

And one of my all-time favorites, from the Quebec Citadelles, the AHL affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens from 1999-2002. Great, great logo...again, picture that in nice Sioux colors...anyone...anyone...Big A HG...anyone?

Cue the SNL "Goat Boy" clips...

Considering that according to 2009 data over 47% of North Dakotans are of German ancestry ... uh, Norse? Uh, ... no.

(Let Minnesota have "Norse" on their no Super Bowls football team.)

for over 60 years we had a nickname for a group of people representing probably less than 5%...

the biggest thing that the the new nickname has to do is generate dollars thru selling merchandise and in my opinon the Fighting Norse would make the most money for UND imo...

This is actually no knock against NDSU, but I agree. Let the former AC retain that history.

I still don't understand why NDSU does not embrace their past. I have said this before, but Colorado State University embraces their old Agricultural & Mechanical name, Colorado A & M. The shirts, jerseys, etc. are word by their students in big, big numbers.

I know I tease the Hell outta NDSU for being the "Vo-Tech" of agriculture, but only because they are embarrassed by their past. Which is as stupid as LakesBison is drunk.

Here are a bunch of Colorado State University students and their basketball team embracing their history wearing the Orange and Green of Colorado A & M Aggies!

545567_10152590174120615_1160510836_n.jpg

the biggest thing that the the new nickname has to do is generate dollars thru selling merchandise and in my opinon the Fighting Norse would make the most money for UND imo...

With a logo nearly identical to a team in an adjoining state?