SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I still believe the crest of USS NORTH DAKOTA has UND's next moniker in it:

Rough Riders

Reapers

Nokota

I could see your first two choices being in the running. I very much doubt there will be anything remotely native american influenced in the new name so nokota is not a possibility.

I could see your first two choices being in the running. I very much doubt there will be anything remotely native american influenced in the new name so nokota is not a possibility.

Nokota is not Native American. It is the name of a wild horse found in North Dakota, http://www.nokotahorse.org/cms/. The name comes from NOrth daKOTA. It would not be affected by the NCAA Native American rule.

Nokota is not Native American. It is the name of a wild horse found in North Dakota, http://www.nokotahorse.org/cms/. The name comes from NOrth daKOTA. It would not be affected by the NCAA Native American rule.

I can't believe the number of people who actually think a rhyming nickname is a good idea. The North Dakota Nokota...unbelievable. Why not Michigan Nichigans, Notre Dame Fame or Georgia Peorgia while we're at it?

• Upvote 1

I can't believe the number of people who actually think a rhyming nickname is a good idea. The North Dakota Nokota...unbelievable. Why not Michigan Nichigans, Notre Dame Fame or Georgia Peorgia while we're at it?

I thought the exact same thing, I don't think Nokota will work as a nickname or logo, but it could make for a great costumed mascot roaming the stands and tailgating areas.

I must ask: what makes the Norse better than the Huns? (Krauts may be a little too rough) After all, there are just as many with German heritage as Norwegian, and many of us are both.

edit: don't like either one, personally

What about the University of North Dakota Fighting Irish? If were going to share an interlocking ND logo with Notre Dame, why not a nickname? :)

I must ask: what makes the Norse better than the Huns? (Krauts may be a little too rough) After all, there are just as many with German heritage as Norwegian, and many of us are both.

edit: don't like either one, personally

It's a legitimate question. Actually, German heritage is #1 in North Dakota, more than 47% have some German heritage. Norwegian finishes #2 at more than 30%. But Huns has some negative connotations from World War I and II when it was used as a derogatory term, and Krauts is worse. If someone came up with a Germanic name that wasn't considered negative it probably would get some consideration.

Two schools are currently using the name Norse, 12 are using the Vikings including one in our new conference. We should steer clear of that name, it's not original enough.

Okay, just for the record how many teams are named Huskies or Bulldogs?

i'm not too worried about luther college and northern kentucky....Fighting Norse and all the other norse mythology would make UND a lot of money....

No doubt... I am not worried about some small college in Decorah, Iowa. If my sister Katie heard me say that she would probably punch me.

All right so talking hockey in the bars in Minneapolis area and what do the guys all ask--How is the Tribe gonna be this year? HMMM wondering if that would fly--its original, its not deragatory to Native Americans I dont think as it goes beyond just Native Americans and going by The Tribe from The University of North Dakota gives it the difference from other schools that are The University of (fill in blank) (some animal, weather or color nickname). Just a little thinking going on in my way to many beers and shots over my lifetime brain. The choice of new nickname, which of course the general public and/or UND students, alumni and faculty will have no say on probably in the end anyways.

Okay, just for the record how many teams are named Huskies or Bulldogs?

41 Bulldogs and 9 Huskies, too many, that's exactly why we should choose something non one else is using. We were one of a handful schools with a unique nickname that no one else was using, we have the opportunity to once again carry that distinction into a new era and it should be a priority. I don't hate the name Norse, I just think we can do better, especially with names like Rough Riders and Outlaws up for possible consideration.

All right so talking hockey in the bars in Minneapolis area and what do the guys all ask--How is the Tribe gonna be this year? HMMM wondering if that would fly--its original, its not deragatory to Native Americans I dont think as it goes beyond just Native Americans and going by The Tribe from The University of North Dakota gives it the difference from other schools that are The University of (fill in blank) (some animal, weather or color nickname). Just a little thinking going on in my way to many beers and shots over my lifetime brain. The choice of new nickname, which of course the general public and/or UND students, alumni and faculty will have no say on probably in the end anyways.

William and Mary has the nickname Tribe and the NCAA made them remove the feather from their logo.

Look, I can get behind many of the nicknames that are being thrown around out there (Norse, Predators, Reapers, Grim Reapers, Nakota, Rough Riders). I like many are going to be very unhappy if UND becomes something stupid moronic nickname like Sun Dogs. Like Sicatoka says, 'we have to be pro-active and control what we can before we get a Horrible new nickname that is very hard to get behind.' We need to be part of the process and keep an eye on the administration as well.

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 1