SiouxSports.com Forum

Buy your UND Sioux apparel ...

The Sicatoka

So "ratify" that means they will continue to sell Sioux apparel? It says ratify the chancellors recommendation to sell it.

Google is your friend. Just type "definition ratify" into Google. It will help you with a lot of questions you may have.

• Upvote 1

Google is your friend. Just type "definition ratify" into Google. It will help you with a lot of questions you may have.

Thanks Cratter. I thought ratify meant change, so thats what i got confused about.

Any ideas what would be a cool "alternate" jersey? Since it will be mostly hockey that will stand out since bball has just North Dakota on it. I think we could put Dakota on it and then come up with a cool logo.

Any ideas what would be a cool "alternate" jersey? Since it will be mostly hockey that will stand out since bball has just North Dakota on it. I think we could put Dakota on it and then come up with a cool logo.

I would like to see the alternative jerseys with the UND flame logo, I think that would look sick!

Can't use just Dakota, it has to be North Dakota or ND. Dakota alone is hostile and abusive as it is the name of a Sioux tribe.

Why not? North Carolina uses just Carolina. Its the state name and not H&A. Lets see the NCAA fight that one.

Why not? North Carolina uses just Carolina. Its the state name and not H&A. Lets see the NCAA fight that one.

The same reasoning the NC$$ uses when they allow some schools with native names and logos to continue using them after ONE namesake tribe said it's ok but we need TWO namesake tribes. The same reasoning that the NC$$ uses when they allow any school to continue using native names and logoa when they say to do is hostile and abusive. The same reasoning the NC$$ uses when they profit from our name and logo even though they say they're hostile and abusive. The same reason dogs lick themselves....because they can.

The same reasoning the NC$$ uses when they allow some schools with native names and logos to continue using them after ONE namesake tribe said it's ok but we need TWO namesake tribes. The same reasoning that the NC$$ uses when they allow any school to continue using native names and logoa when they say to do is hostile and abusive. The same reasoning the NC$$ uses when they profit from our name and logo even though they say they're hostile and abusive. The same reason dogs lick themselves....because they can.

But Dakota is NOT a nickname!!!! Its the name of the school. They are only targeting nicknames. There is 100% no way the NCAA would go after UND for using just Dakota.

But Dakota is NOT a nickname!!!! Its the name of the school. They are only targeting nicknames. There is 100% no way the NCAA would go after UND for using just Dakota.

Dakota is not the name of the school. The name of the school is the University of NORTH Dakota. The NC$$ isn't going to give us any slack in our name or logo.

Dakota is not the name of the school. The name of the school is the University of NORTH Dakota. The NC$$ isn't going to give us any slack in our name or logo.

But its part of the name just like North Carolina and South Carolina but they both use Carolina.

North_Carolina_Tar_Heelsinq.jpg

148978392_SZVNY-S.jpg

http://www.ulm.edu/mascot/position.html

Also:

The decision reached during the Executive Committee's August 4 meeting in Indianapolis is part of a new policy to prohibit NCAA colleges and universities from displaying hostile and abusive racial/ethnic/national origin mascots, nicknames or imagery at any of the 88 NCAA championships.

It does NOT state you cannot use your school name.

But its part of the name just like North Carolina and South Carolina but they both use Carolina.

North_Carolina_Tar_Heelsinq.jpg

148978392_SZVNY-S.jpg

http://www.ulm.edu/m...t/position.html

Also:

It does NOT state you cannot use your school name.

Carolina is not the name of an Indian tribe, Dakota is. I wouldn't put any trust in the NC$$ acting as rationally as you think they would.

Carolina is not the name of an Indian tribe, Dakota is. I wouldn't put any trust in the NC$$ acting as rationally as you think they would.

True, but "Carolina" (taken from the Latin word for Charles (Carolus) honoring King Charles I of England) in North and South Carolina originates from a human source, such as "Dakota" does for North and South Dakota. I wonder if the descendents of King Charles are offended by the Tarheels' and Gamecocks' abusing their heritage? I ask that rhetorically, with tongue planted firmly in cheek. I understand your greater point that nothing the NCAA does can be described as rational, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that an institution cannot use a derivation of its own state name, and by extension, its own name. I think UND has another case to be made, as the word "Dakota" is more than a name of a tribe in that it is also a word meaning "friend" or "ally."

What a mess! Thanks NCAA. :glare: Wish you weren't the only game in town, because it really sucks that we are so desirous to be part of an organization for which we have such collective disdain!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Iowa is a truncation of Kiowa, a tribe.

I've long wondered if Vanderbilt got permission for their moniker from the band Lionel Ritchie was a part of. ;)

But the truly salient point is this:

Irish: OK;

Vandals: OK;

Seminoles: OK;

Sioux: Not OK.

The lack of consistency is glaring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Algonquian

The Pamlico (or Pomouik) were a Native American people of North Carolina. They spoke an Algonquian language also known as Pamlico or Carolina Algonquian.

The Dakota are here and now. And, if they do not want their name used, the NC$$ will listen. The 'Carolina' are no longer here to say yea or nay to the use of their tribes name. I'm not going to continue to argue the point, it's useless. My point is, the NC$$ can and will do what they want regarding any name or logo we choose to use. Given how we are treated differently (see Sciatoka's latest post) from other institutions with Indian names/logos/mascots, I have no faith that we will be allowed to use Dakota without the 'North' as part of it for a name. That is MY opinion. I've been wrong before and will be wrong again.