SiouxSports.com Forum

Buy your UND Sioux apparel ...

The Sicatoka

The Dakota are here and now. And, if they do not want their name used, the NC$$ will listen. The 'Carolina' are no longer here to say yea or nay to the use of their tribes name. I'm not going to continue to argue the point, it's useless. My point is, the NC$$ can and will do what they want regarding any name or logo we choose to use. Given how we are treated differently (see Sciatoka's latest post) from other institutions with Indian names/logos/mascots, I have no faith that we will be allowed to use Dakota without the 'North' as part of it for a name. That is MY opinion. I've been wrong before and will be wrong again.

I understand where you are coming from, but I just think since its our school name, our state name the NCAA will not say Dakota is H&A because then we "Dakotans" both North and South are H&A, and even that would look ridiculous.

The NCAA does, at least, have a rationale that I can understand with the whole domination of culture and appropriation of culture, etc. I don't agree with it, obviously, but I at least can understand the argument and begrudgingly assign some ostensible credibility to it, at least in terms of logic. Where the NCAA loses everything is when it employs the haphazard double-standards and imputes concepts such as "hostile" and "abusive" to native nicknames. One may think that the usage of native nicknames may be tantamount to employing some sort of dominion over another set of human beings. However, such usage is not hostile and abusive. These are two different positions that do not mesh at all. If the NCAA is going to object on the dominion/appropriation of culture theory, the supposed wrongfulness can not be purged by the so-called namesake tribe exception or by any other standard. Throwing the hostile and abusiveness business in there just clouds the matter even more. If it's wrong for one, it's wrong for all and the NCAA needs to have the backbone to enforce the policy uniformly or not at all.

The NCAA is the only player and UND seeks to be part of it by necessity only. The NCAA really should be broken up into various regional entities. The sooner the legal issues on this get resolved the better and the Governor and legislature need to take charge now and aggressively, yet diplomatically, advocate for the nickname. Sitting idle would be the absolute worst thing, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

The NCAA does, at least, have a rationale that I can understand with the whole domination of culture and appropriation of culture, etc. I don't agree with it, obviously, but I at least can understand the argument and begrudgingly assign some ostensible credibility to it, at least in terms of logic. Where the NCAA loses everything is when it employs the haphazard double-standards and imputes concepts such as "hostile" and "abusive" to native nicknames. One may think that the usage of native nicknames may be tantamount to employing some sort of dominion over another set of human beings. However, such usage is not hostile and abusive. These are two different positions that do not mesh at all. If the NCAA is going to object on the dominion/appropriation of culture theory, the supposed wrongfulness can not be purged by the so-called namesake tribe exception or by any other standard. Throwing the hostile and abusiveness business in there just clouds the matter even more. If it's wrong for one, it's wrong for all and the NCAA needs to have the backbone to enforce the policy uniformly or not at all.

The NCAA is the only player and UND seeks to be part of it by necessity only. The NCAA really should be broken up into various regional entities. The sooner the legal issues on this get resolved the better and the Governor and legislature need to take charge now and aggressively, yet diplomatically, advocate for the nickname. Sitting idle would be the absolute worst thing, in my opinion.

+1 Excellent post! I already used up my positive vote on your post, so I thought I would send another your way.