SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Nickname & Logo

GeauxSioux

I feel that the legislators will have some success in re-negotiating the terms and sanctions of the settlement. If we can at least get them to back off of the sanction preventing us from hosting a playoff game, I think a lot of people (particularly football fans) would be more comfortable about the issue. It's still early days and given that the NCAA is coming under fire from the justice dept., they may be willing to compromise to save some face.

I feel that the legislators will have some success in re-negotiating the terms and sanctions of the settlement. If we can at least get them to back off of the sanction preventing us from hosting a playoff game, I think a lot of people (particularly football fans) would be more comfortable about the issue. It's still early days and given that the NCAA is coming under fire from the justice dept., they may be willing to compromise to save some face.

I don't think the NCAA is going to budge unitl there is some sort of a law suit.

My main question is why does Minnesota not want to schedule games with UND over the controversy, is it the institutions policy or is it due to an over zealous athletic director. And if it is the AD, couldn't he be overridden? Most people in Minnesota could care less about the nickname and would love to see a UND/UM rivalry continue.

And you think they would be focusing their energies on whether or not Ohio State University football program needs to get the death penalty or not.

And you think they would be focusing their energies on whether or not Ohio State University football program needs to get the death penalty or not.

Ohio State would never get a death penalty sanction (any sport) from the NCAA. That's only for the have-nots.

Ohio State would never get a death penalty sanction (any sport) from the NCAA. That's only for the have-nots.

Fari enough. Then the NCAA should be working on explaining how in the hell Ohio State doesn't get the death penalty or at the very least the severest sanctions ever imposed. ???

Fari enough. Then the NCAA should be working on explaining how in the hell Ohio State doesn't get the death penalty or at the very least the severest sanctions ever imposed. ???

Here is the NCAA's response.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

My main question is why does Minnesota not want to schedule games with UND over the controversy, is it the institutions policy or is it due to an over zealous athletic director. And if it is the AD, couldn't he be overridden? Most people in Minnesota could care less about the nickname and would love to see a UND/UM rivalry continue.

The policy that has been implemented at Minnesota is one that has been formulated by the Board of Regents. My understanding is that the AD would be fine putting us on the schedules for a number of sports but as our administration has been constantly criticized for carrying out orders... so to speak, this instance would seem to indicate that that's not only done at the University of North Dakota, but at other places as well. This is another example of an administrator at Minnesota carrying out orders of his bosses.

I'm sure SMU thought the same thing. If anything, considering all of the "negative" attention surrounding the NC$$, they may look for a high-profile "example" of how tough they can be.

I'm sure SMU thought the same thing. If anything, considering all of the "negative" attention surrounding the NC$$, they may look for a high-profile "example" of how tough they can be.

Scott, Scott, Scott, ... you missed the obvious difference between SMU and OSU.

SMU, Southern Methodist University, ... Methodists ... Christians ... the liberal-minded NCAA has no problem sanctioning Christian Methodists. ;)

But when it comes to a public school ...

In case this hasn't been posted yet, the SBoHE is standing down (for now...)

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/202876

So looking at this the SBHE seems far more interested in finding a way to negate the legislative action than it does giving even a neutral stance on the possibility of the state filing a lawsuit against the NCAA. Doesn't look like anything has changed from their point of view, they still want it retired ASAP.