SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Thats why it took 11 years to do that while in the meantime you played powerhouses in Morgan State, Wagner, St. Francis, and Lafayette.

Haha well played sir! This is a great example of how delusional moo u fans like turdboy really are. Don't forget about prairieview a&m :lol:

and the fact that you are paying them 200k to come to fargo

That is what I don't get they want the big schools to come, and they won't so they need someone to fill the void. UND can come and play for cheap I mean how much to pay for a tank of gas at Stop N Go and then go back after the game. But instead pay Prairie View 200k to play. How much will games be next year or the year after or in 2015? Why do I see NDSU either scheduling a DII team or UND because either no one will come up to Fargo or NDSU won't shell out 500k for a game against Cupcake U.

• Upvote 1

NDSU can't schedule UND every year because they can't afford to give up a home game every other year for financial reasons. Is it tue that every 4th year you can play 12 games. So it could be like giving up a home game every 3rd year. Now their paying Prairie View 250,000 to come to Fargo. Is it just me or is there something really hypocritical and phony about this whole situation? Many posters on here have explained how financially this game can happen and be profitable for everyone involved. They just don't get it in Fargo.

• Upvote 2

NDSU can't schedule UND every year because they can't afford to give up a home game every other year for financial reasons. Is it tue that every 4th year you can play 12 games. So it could be like giving up a home game every 3rd year. Now their paying Prairie View 250,000 to come to Fargo. Is it just me or is there something really hypocritical and phony about this whole situation? Many posters on here have explained how financially this game can happen and be profitable for everyone involved. They just don't get it in Fargo.

The truth is that Gene Taylor and some of their fans still have their feelings hurt from when Roger Thomas stopped all games between the 2 schools. They think that they are some how punishing UND by not scheduling the game. In fact, they are hurting both schools a little bit because they are preventing something that could be good for both. Both schools will do fine if the game isn't played, but both would be better off if the games do start up again.

Two fundamental points that seem to get lost are:

1. Whether it is true or not, NDSU fans and administrators see playing UND as helping UND and elevating UND's status (your welcome to argue the point, but that is the perception on our end)

2. With point #1 in mind, the game would have to be a financial windfall for NDSU fans and administrators to get on board willingly.

All that posters on this board and others have shown is that playing the game would be a financial wash at best, and that is with bumping up ticket prices to make it a "premium game".

It's not that we don't get it at all, I think you don't understand the situation from our perspective or maybe don't want to.

I think we all know that college athletics is a business. In thinking of it as a true business and UND as a direct competitor to NDSU's success, recruiting, funding, students. Why would NDSU want to elevate UND's status by playing them at this point?

• Upvote 2

The truth is that Gene Taylor and some of their fans still have their feelings hurt from when, IN THEIR VIEW, Roger Thomas stopped all games between the 2 schools. They think that they are some how punishing UND by not scheduling the game. In fact, they are hurting both schools a little bit because they are preventing something that could be good for both. Both schools will do fine if the game isn't played, but both would be better off if the games do start up again.

Important phrase inserted.

NDSU is just trying to delay playing this game for as long as possible because they saw what happened to their mighty Basketball and Volleyball teams. They simply are afraid they might lose that game to. The reality is that even though at the moment they probabl;y are the better team but when we do play you just know UND will beat them. You can just feel it. Of course by the time this game ever happens UND will be the better team anyway.

• Upvote 1

NDSU is just trying to delay playing this game for as long as possible because they saw what happened to their mighty Basketball and Volleyball teams. They simply are afraid they might lose that game to. The reality is that even though at the moment they probabl;y are the better team but when we do play you just know UND will beat them. You can just feel it. Of course by the time this game ever happens UND will be the better team anyway.

Every time you play someone you can lose, doesn't mean you are afraid of it to admit that fact.

All that posters on this board and others have shown is that playing the game would be a financial wash at best, and that is with bumping up ticket prices to make it a "premium game".

I don't quite understand this from a Bison perspective, so can you please explain it a little further? I can see the point you make about the public relations/perception battle and that at this point it would benefit UND more than NDSU (although in three years, who knows where each program will be.)

Financially, though I don't understand how it can be a wash. NDSU isn't paying to bring a team in for either 2015 nor 2017. That's $400,000 right there. Bump ticket prices $10 for the 15,000 non-student tickets (premium game) and that's another $150,000 more than what a regular game would earn the school. I admittedly don't know how much NDSU makes for a home-game against a cupcake team, but I would think it's not $550,000.

Also, everyone is claiming that NDSU is giving away a home-game for 2017 by traveling to UND. With that being an 11 game season, that means 4 MWFC home games, 4 MWFC away games, one away OOC game, two home OOC games. 6 home games. If you're of the view that NDSU should play an FBS team every year, then I can see where that's an issue. However, not playing an FBS team once out of every four years isn't some huge deal, especially considering nobody knows where college football will be in 5 years.

Two fundamental points that seem to get lost are:

1. Whether it is true or not, NDSU fans and administrators see playing UND as helping UND and elevating UND's status (your welcome to argue the point, but that is the perception on our end)

2. With point #1 in mind, the game would have to be a financial windfall for NDSU fans and administrators to get on board willingly.

It's not that we don't get it at all, I think you don't understand the situation from our perspective or maybe don't want to.

I think we all know that college athletics is a business. In thinking of it as a true business and UND as a direct competitor to NDSU's success, recruiting, funding, students. Why would NDSU want to elevate UND's status by playing them at this point?

Obviously we don't all know that college athletics is a business. If all of us knew that then NDSU fans would realize that the good PR of playing the game, and the interest that would be generated by that game across the region, would be worth far more than any money brought in by gate admissions. That awareness is something that most schools would kill for, but NDSU doesn't seem to care about or doesn't understand. Getting all of those eyeballs focused on the UND and NDSU logos for 3 hours, plus all of the buildup in the weeks before the game, would be huge for both schools.

Obviously we don't all know that college athletics is a business. If all of us knew that then NDSU fans would realize that the good PR of playing the game, and the interest that would be generated by that game across the region, would be worth far more than any money brought in by gate admissions. That awareness is something that most schools would kill for, but NDSU doesn't seem to care about or doesn't understand. Getting all of those eyeballs focused on the UND and NDSU logos for 3 hours, plus all of the buildup in the weeks before the game, would be huge for both schools.

They don't seem to understand the purpose of college athletics (recruiting and donations).

From NDSU's perspective we don't need the game to have more awareness brought to the program and the school. NDSU football and NDSU as an institution is far more popular right now than at any other time in NDSU's history. You're telling me that we need to "help" a direct competitor to increase awareness? I'm not buying it.

The only reason from NDSU's perspective to play the game is for historical significance. Honoring the tradition of playing the game. Which, by the way, is a pretty good reason, but that's it.

Any other reason that has been stated here or anywhere else is just internet fodder to try and win the argument. Financially it's a wash at best. PR, IMO actually would hurt NDSU.

You keep saying, "would be good for both schools" .In reality, it would be great for UND for all these things to happen.

I for one want the game to happen. For the reason I stated above, but not for financial or PR reasons, those don't hold water IMO.

You obviously are too young to remember the state when the rivalry was at its peak. All you have to do is look at some of the other big in-state rivals to see what would happen in North Dakota. The National title was a big deal. But both schools won National titles in the past, and the rivalry game was still the biggest event in the state. It would be again if the game were played.

If this game was so important, why did UND refuse to play NDSU when we were making the transition to D1, thereby ending the 100+ year rivalry and "punishing the very people who support their program"? I sure hope you were saying similar things to your fellow UND fans 10 years ago.

I realize that back in the glory days, the rivalry game was the biggest event in the state, but that is the main problem in my opinion. NDSU is more focused right now on getting national recognition. Do you really think many people outside of the state of North Dakota and the surrounding areas (and alums) care at all about NDSU and UND playing? Another problem is that the players 10+ years ago grew up knowing the rivalry. They understood how big it could be. However, very few of the players on either team right now, if any, were even teenagers the last time this game was played. This may have been the biggest event in the state 10+ years ago, but I highly doubt any of the players on last year's FCS national championship team are thinking to themselves, "If only we could've played UND last year. That would've really made my college football career. I would give up this national championship ring and that experience for the chance to play UND." I'm not saying playing UND would've kept NDSU from winning the national championship, but that's not the focus right now for NDSU. The focus has changed since "the glory days". If winning a national championship includes beating up on UND along the way, so be it. If not, that's fine too.

Also, please don't attempt to downplay the significance of winning a national championship and how much that does for a university. You may be correct that the rivalry game may be seen as a larger event to some people in the state and surrounding areas, but winning the national championship gets national recognition. The people in the state already know who NDSU and UND are. Winning national championships lets people outside of the Red River Valley know who we are.

I don't quite understand this from a Bison perspective, so can you please explain it a little further? I can see the point you make about the public relations/perception battle and that at this point it would benefit UND more than NDSU (although in three years, who knows where each program will be.)

Financially, though I don't understand how it can be a wash. NDSU isn't paying to bring a team in for either 2015 nor 2017. That's $400,000 right there. Bump ticket prices $10 for the 15,000 non-student tickets (premium game) and that's another $150,000 more than what a regular game would earn the school. I admittedly don't know how much NDSU makes for a home-game against a cupcake team, but I would think it's not $550,000.

Also, everyone is claiming that NDSU is giving away a home-game for 2017 by traveling to UND. With that being an 11 game season, that means 4 MWFC home games, 4 MWFC away games, one away OOC game, two home OOC games. 6 home games. If you're of the view that NDSU should play an FBS team every year, then I can see where that's an issue. However, not playing an FBS team once out of every four years isn't some huge deal, especially considering nobody knows where college football will be in 5 years.

I don't know the specifics about what we charge or make for a home game, but I have seen many posters on this board and others go through the specific numbers and the issue comes in that NDSU loses the revenue from a home game.

Fans and administrators have made it quite clear that as long as it is allowed NDSU will strive to play an FBS school every year. So taking that game away isn't an option at this point, like you said who knows where we'll be in five years. But, for now, that's how NDSU chooses to play the scheduling game.

Also, if you plan on replacing the FBS game with the UND game how do you account for the missed revenue in that scenario?

Shouldn't the fact that fans of both schools and the people of North Dakota in general would really enjoy seeing this game, more than any other game on the schedule including Montana or anybody else, be a big factor in renewing this rivalry? You know, taxpayers and such?

Seems hypocritical to me for NDSU to keep pounding the "we can't afford to lose a home game every 4 years" excuse when it's actually punishing the very people who help support their program.

I don't know the specifics about what we charge or make for a home game, but I have seen many posters on this board and others go through the specific numbers and the issue comes in that NDSU loses the revenue from a home game.

And I pointed out that NDSU doesn't lose the revenue from a home game, because they can still schedule two OOC home games in 2017.

So, NDSU doesn't lose a home game in 2017. Makes more money if they charge a premium price for the UND game and doesn't have to pay $200,000 to bring a team in. Still a wash?

Fans and administrators have made it quite clear that as long as it is allowed NDSU will strive to play an FBS school every year. So taking that game away isn't an option at this point, like you said who knows where we'll be in five years. But, for now, that's how NDSU chooses to play the scheduling game.

Also, if you plan on replacing the FBS game with the UND game how do you account for the missed revenue in that scenario?

You don't replace the FBS game with UND, you replace one of the FCS games at home. If you paid attention to the numbers you would see that you don't have to pay UND, and you wouldn't have to pay for a second home game, so that saves $400,000 that NDSU doesn't pay out, plus the game expenses for the game that would be held at UND. Plus, with premium pricing, you can bring in at least $150,000 extra for a single UND game at home. That is a total of approximately $600,000 going into the NDSU coffers for 2 games. I find it hard to believe that NDSU nets $300,000 for each home game.

You don't replace the FBS game with UND, you replace one of the FCS games at home. If you paid attention to the numbers you would see that you don't have to pay UND, and you wouldn't have to pay for a second home game, so that saves $400,000 that NDSU doesn't pay out, plus the game expenses for the game that would be held at UND. Plus, with premium pricing, you can bring in at least $150,000 extra for a single UND game at home. That is a total of approximately $600,000 going into the NDSU coffers for 2 games. I find it hard to believe that NDSU nets $300,000 for each home game.

He said replace the FBS game not me. Someone has already done the leg work on the numbers on this board, let's find that post and then we can talk about the specific numbers.

From NDSU's perspective we don't need the game to have more awareness brought to the program and the school. NDSU football and NDSU as an institution is far more popular right now than at any other time in NDSU's history. You're telling me that we need to "help" a direct competitor to increase awareness? I'm not buying it.

The only reason from NDSU's perspective to play the game is for historical significance. Honoring the tradition of playing the game. Which, by the way, is a pretty good reason, but that's it.

Any other reason that has been stated here or anywhere else is just internet fodder to try and win the argument. Financially it's a wash at best. PR, IMO actually would hurt NDSU.

You keep saying, "would be good for both schools" .In reality, it would be great for UND for all these things to happen.

I for one want the game to happen. For the reason I stated above, but not for financial or PR reasons, those don't hold water IMO.

You really don't understand PR. For one thing, PR is fleeting. There is always something new coming along. The National title is already old news. The other thing is that a majority of North Dakota didn't care about NDSU winning the title. Neither UND nor NDSU holds the interest of a majority of North Dakotans. So less than half of North Dakota cared about the title. But when you put UND and NDSU in the same building, now you have the interest of most people in North Dakota. Not only do you have the interest of the fans of each school, you have the interest of many others that don't really follow either school. And if you get them to watch that game, you have a chance to build that interest. Not realizing that is very short sighted. Do you know why companies pay millions of dollars for a single 30 second TV ad on the Super Bowl? It isn't because they want to sell to the fans of either school. It's because of all of the eyeballs that will be watching that game. The Super Bowl is a national event. A UND-NDSU football game would be the Super Bowl of North Dakota.

If this game was so important, why did UND refuse to play NDSU when we were making the transition to D1, thereby ending the 100+ year rivalry and "punishing the very people who support their program"? I sure hope you were saying similar things to your fellow UND fans 10 years ago.

NDSU had more scholarships so in UND's view, it wouldn't have been fair competition.

I realize that back in the glory days, the rivalry game was the biggest event in the state, but that is the main problem in my opinion. NDSU is more focused right now on getting national recognition. Do you really think many people outside of the state of North Dakota and the surrounding areas (and alums) care at all about NDSU and UND playing? Another problem is that the players 10+ years ago grew up knowing the rivalry. They understood how big it could be. However, very few of the players on either team right now, if any, were even teenagers the last time this game was played. This may have been the biggest event in the state 10+ years ago, but I highly doubt any of the players on last year's FCS national championship team are thinking to themselves, "If only we could've played UND last year. That would've really made my college football career. I would give up this national championship ring and that experience for the chance to play UND." I'm not saying playing UND would've kept NDSU from winning the national championship, but that's not the focus right now for NDSU. The focus has changed since "the glory days". If winning a national championship includes beating up on UND along the way, so be it. If not, that's fine too.

Also, please don't attempt to downplay the significance of winning a national championship and how much that does for a university. You may be correct that the rivalry game may be seen as a larger event to some people in the state and surrounding areas, but winning the national championship gets national recognition. The people in the state already know who NDSU and UND are. Winning national championships lets people outside of the Red River Valley know who we are.

:huh:

I guess I didn't realize a national championship and a UND-NDSU game were mutually exclusive. Ahh.... the stupidity of bizun "logic."

NDSU had more scholarships so in UND's view, it wouldn't have been fair competition.

:huh:

I guess I didn't realize a national championship and a UND-NDSU game were mutually exclusive. Ahh.... the stupidity of bizun "logic."

Did you read my post? I specifically said "I'm not saying playing UND would've kept NDSU from winning the national championship". Take some time to read the entire post before you attempt to make an intelligent comment.

Did you read my post? I specifically said "I'm not saying playing UND would've kept NDSU from winning the national championship". Take some time to read the entire post before you attempt to make an intelligent comment.

You did say that, but then you continued on with your line of how the National Championship is more important. I agree it's more important, but the 2 aren't mutually exclusive. If you're "not saying playing UND would've kept NDSU from winning the national championship," then why would you even bring it up?

If you werre a Bison fan, wouldn't you be chomping at the bit to play UND? If you are soo pissed off at the fact UND said that the Bison were not going to succeed in D1 and you believe that you are the superior program, wouldn't you want to prove that on the field? Wouldn't you want the Bison to play UND and have a chance to just take it to them and beat them by like 40? If you were a Bison fan, wouldn't you want to hang the score over every UND fans head for 2 years? I just don't understand why Bison fans are coming up with all these reason like financially it won't work, or they don't want to help UND. How bout instead of thinking of all the reasons why NDSU shouldn't play UND and look like a coward, you get excited to kick the snot out of UND!! Because that is exactly what us UND fans are going to want our team to do to you!!!

You did say that, but then you continued on with your line of how the National Championship is more important. I agree it's more important, but the 2 aren't mutually exclusive. If you're "not saying playing UND would've kept NDSU from winning the national championship," then why would you even bring it up?

Because winning national championships is the focus of NDSU. The focus isn't on playing UND. The point of bringing it up is that playing UND is nowhere close to winning national championships on the priority list. If we happen to beat up on UND along the way to a national championship, so be it. If not, that's fine too.