SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

UND isn't going to generate $200,000 in revenue against most DI teams. UND would have to get more than 13,300 paid attendance at $15 per ticket just to get that $200,000. Students don't pay for tickets. That doesn't take into consideration the other costs of the game, like paying for the Alerus Center plus staff plus advertising plus everything else. UND would lose a lot of money paying $200,000 to most FCS teams. Most FCS schools would lose a lot of money paying $200,000 to host another FCS school. That is a stupid way to run an athletic department when football is supposed to be one of your money making programs. That's why a lot of FCS teams play a game against lesser competition, and that's why SD School of Mines is still on the schedule.

What's the old saying you need to spend money to make money. UND hasn't done that playing NAIA teams thoughout the transition therefore losing money and losing fan interest. Maybe playing more DI teams would have sparked a lot more interest and would have gained more money. I know football is king at NDSU and their money maker, just as hockey is at UND but why can't UND make money in football. If we play FCS teams and make the playoffs more and more fans will come to the Alerus generating more revenue. Attendance = revenue. Attendance at games now are sad and pathetic. But with a real conference and with something to play for (playoffs, and a National Title) attendance will rebound nicely. SD Mines will draw 6-8k at most. We won't see close to 10,000 until Portland State, but marketing has to be better and of course the product people came to see must be at their very best. This team has promise and maybe if they spend a little more on football instead of all the money going to hockey 200,000 won't be a problem. I believe UND can be great at more than one sport. I am not a UND hockey fan...I am a UND athletics fan.

• Upvote 2

The SD Mines game will probably be one of the better attended games of the season............

I hope you are joking...I think people are going to save their money for the Potato Bowl. I wouldn't spend a dime to drive up and see SD Mines. The game doesn't count. Its just a glorified practice for this team. Get the kinks out and perfect the passing game.

I hope you are joking...I think people are going to save their money for the Potato Bowl. I wouldn't spend a dime to drive up and see SD Mines. The game doesn't count. Its just a glorified practice for this team. Get the kinks out and perfect the passing game.

How far is your drive to GF darell?

What's the old saying you need to spend money to make money. UND hasn't done that playing NAIA teams thoughout the transition therefore losing money and losing fan interest. Maybe playing more DI teams would have sparked a lot more interest and would have gained more money. I know football is king at NDSU and their money maker, just as hockey is at UND but why can't UND make money in football. If we play FCS teams and make the playoffs more and more fans will come to the Alerus generating more revenue. Attendance = revenue. Attendance at games now are sad and pathetic. But with a real conference and with something to play for (playoffs, and a National Title) attendance will rebound nicely. SD Mines will draw 6-8k at most. We won't see close to 10,000 until Portland State, but marketing has to be better and of course the product people came to see must be at their very best. This team has promise and maybe if they spend a little more on football instead of all the money going to hockey 200,000 won't be a problem. I believe UND can be great at more than one sport. I am not a UND hockey fan...I am a UND athletics fan.

The first game of the year is almost always one of the better attended games of the year. The opponent is secondary. There will be close to 10,000 at SD Mines. Attendance the past few years has been down overall because there hasn't been anything to play for that could generate some excitement. The Big Sky will generate a lot of excitement this year, and people will show up for the opening game of the season just to see the team that is going to be playing in the Big Sky. Average attendance for the year will probably be over 10,000 per game.

$200,000 is an outrageous amount for a FCS team to pay to bring in another FCS team, unless it was someone like Appy State or maybe Montana. Very few schools would be able to generate enough income to make it worthwhile. You do need to spend money to make money, but you have to spend it wisely. UND spending that kind of money would be foolish. NDSU is one of the few schools that could pull it off right now, and the only reason they are doing it is because of the demand from the fans to get the 6th home game. Having 6,000 more seats available, 3 or more times the number of people in the community, being in a good football conference for a few years, and the national title in hand are all advantages that NDSU currently has over UND in football attendance.

College sports, especially the money sports, are a business. Losing money on purpose is a good way to go out of business. UND will have success in football. But throwing away money because people like you think it would be better to bring in Prairieview for $200,000 rather than SD Mines for $50,000 (or whatever they are paying) is bad business.

Home openers:

2011 vs Drake 8484

2010 vs NE State (potato Bowl) 9719

2009 vs South Dakota 12,431 (Homecoming)

2008 vs Texas A&M Kingsville(Military Appreciation) 11,434

2007 vs Humbolt State 10,178

How do those compare to the other home games? Except for Drake they look like decent crowds.

How do those compare to the other home games? Except for Drake they look like decent crowds.

I just can't see over 10,000 for SD Mines. Maybe the anticipation of the season may draw that much, quality of opponent is what keeps me skeptical of 10,000. PSU should draw 10-11k or more.

I just can't see over 10,000 for SD Mines. Maybe the anticipation of the season may draw that much, quality of opponent is what keeps me skeptical of 10,000. PSU should draw 10-11k or more.

And I would expect Montana to draw a good crowd, they usually have quite a few fans on the road with them.

If Mines was a later game it would almost certainly be the lowest attendance of the year, the timing is the only thing it has going for it.

And I would expect Montana to draw a good crowd, they usually have quite a few fans on the road with them.

If Mines was a later game it would almost certainly be the lowest attendance of the year, the timing is the only thing it has going for it.

I hope Montana is packed to the rafters. 12-13k!!!

I think a lot will depend on how well Mines travels. I doubt UND can do it on our own, but if a great number of visitors show up, then it's possible.

It will most likely be right around 9,000. Probably a little bit more attended than last year's home opener, but I think with the opponent and it being on a Thursday night, it won't be much more than that. Hopefully the team puts on a little bit of a show and attendance will top 10,000 the following week against Portland State.

It will most likely be right around 9,000. Probably a little bit more attended than last year's home opener, but I think with the opponent and it being on a Thursday night, it won't be much more than that. Hopefully the team puts on a little bit of a show and attendance will top 10,000 the following week against Portland State.

I forgot that it's a Thursday game, so I doubt there will be much here in the way of Mines fans. So, 9,000 is probably a maximum and I'd be surprised if it got any higher.

I forgot that it's a Thursday game, so I doubt there will be much here in the way of Mines fans. So, 9,000 is probably a maximum and I'd be surprised if it got any higher.

Mines averaged 200 fans at their home football games last year- so I doubt they ever travel well.

I just can't see over 10,000 for SD Mines.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!!!!!!!!!

You just said a little bit ago that the SD Mines game will only draw 6,000-8,000. Now a few hours later you think it'll draw 10,000? So which is it?

The opener against SD Mines will probably draw more than both the Cal Poly and SUU games. Depending on whether or not there is a hockey game going on the day that we play Montana, the Mines game could very well draw more than the game against the Griz will.

It sucks that the SD Mines game won't count toward the playoffs, but that's just how the cookie crumbles. You can say "it takes money to make money" but then again, it is not YOUR money that UND is working with.............................

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!!!!!!!!!

You just said a little bit ago that the SD Mines game will only draw 6,000-8,000. Now a few hours later you think it'll draw 10,000? So which is it?

I think you misread. He said he can't see 10,000.

"Can't see over 10,000 people...might be 6-8,000."

My guess is 8,500-9,500. I will choose 9,368.

Mines averaged 200 fans at their home football games last year- so I doubt they ever travel well.

Maybe someone should tell them there is a big, beautiful world out here for them to see. They just need to get out of that deep, dark hole they live in

• 1 month later...

Currently, NDSU has 3 games scheduled for their 2014 schedule. UND a lot of their schedule for 2014 figured out, but they still have open dates. Neither NDSU or UND have games scheduled for Sept. 13th or Sept. 20th in 2014. Can the AD's from both schools just do what the entire state wants them to do and schedule the long anticipated game between UND and NDSU on one of these dates? I can't be the only one to notice that these dates are open for both schools. I would hope Taylor and Faison have seen these dates open for both schools as well.

I hope that the game can be scheduled. Sooner rather than later. Its been almost 10 years since this game has been played. Its time. These dates are the next available option I can see. Let get this game scheduled!!!

• Upvote 1

Currently, NDSU has 3 games scheduled for their 2014 schedule. UND a lot of their schedule for 2014 figured out, but they still have open dates. Neither NDSU or UND have games scheduled for Sept. 13th or Sept. 20th in 2014. Can the AD's from both schools just do what the entire state wants them to do and schedule the long anticipated game between UND and NDSU on one of these dates? I can't be the only one to notice that these dates are open for both schools. I would hope Taylor and Faison have seen these dates open for both schools as well.

I hope that the game can be scheduled. Sooner rather than later. Its been almost 10 years since this game has been played. Its time. These dates are the next available option I can see. Let get this game scheduled!!!

I'm confused, how can NDSU only have 3 games scheduled for 2014? I would assume they have the usual conference games as well. Unless, of course the Mo Valley kicks them out for that offensive moniker. :lol: