SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

I would rather be 45-62 and 9-1 (1-0). Just saying. The Bears lead the Packers in all time head to head but I would say are still the more successful franchise Win something (other than a moral victory) before you play the scared card. They don't want to or need to play UND.

Surprised some of you guys actually think that you stand a chance against North Dakota State?

Unless your program changes, a lot. . . i don't see it happening soon, they are as well coached of a team as i've seen.

Surprised some of you guys actually think that you stand a chance against North Dakota State?

Unless your program changes, a lot. . . i don't see it happening soon, they are as well coached of a team as i've seen.

Well, you better head to Fargo and do the cheer!

"Mean Machine! Mean Machine! Mean Machine!"

62-45-3.

just out of curiosity when and why did they stop playing the game?

It is a long story. The short version is that NDSU moved up to Division I several years before UND. They wanted to continue the series during the transition. Playing a Division I team would have counted against UND trying to get into the Division II playoffs, so UND stopped the series. UND was interested in playing again once they started the transition, and still are now that UND is a full FCS member, but NDSU refuses to consider it because the AD is still mad that UND stopped the series. Many NDSU fans are still upset because they believe that UND cancelled just to create problems for NDSU during the transition.
  • Upvote 2

Exactly.

Why chance losing the mystique? More than likely, NDSU would prevail for a few years. But, once they lost (and they would, history has proven so...35-30 in Nickel Games alone) they would lose the recruiting edge. Although, the guys they have been recruiting may be good on the football field at the FCS level, but off the field..a nightmare.

Seems like it goes in streaks. NDSU ruled most of the 80's through 1992, UND ruled from 1993-2003 (with a few losses in there). So one team cannot rule the other forever.

• Upvote 1

I am going to say it...pounding Youngstown doesn't mean you will 100% pound UND. Could it happen...maybe. I guess we will never know. I think that is what puzzles UND fans more than NDSU fans. NDSU acts like they can take anyone anywhere they are the king of the state where UND lost to Sioux Falls two years ago. So why not schedule the game? Answer...they might be afraid of the consequences surounding a potential loss. If UND upsets NDSU like in 1993 (the year the 12 year streak was broke), think of what the media, the message boards, the talk of the town would be. It could hurt recruiting. This would be the ultimate trap game for NDSU. GT wants no part of that.

In the end it really comes down to not wanting to tie up a non-conference game slot every single year. The only way this resumes on an annual basis is if there is a conference shift that throws the two teams into the same conference.

In the end it really comes down to not wanting to tie up a non-conference game slot every single year. The only way this resumes on an annual basis is if there is a conference shift that throws the two teams into the same conference.

... or if FCS goes to a constant level of 12 games per season.

That is why I think UND fans accept every other year. You have 3 games 1 is usally a FBS game so 2 games to schedule. I would like UND to schedule a Dakota team every year and keep rotating it. One year NDSU, next year USD and so on.

That is why I think UND fans accept every other year. You have 3 games 1 is usally a FBS game so 2 games to schedule. I would like UND to schedule a Dakota team every year and keep rotating it. One year NDSU, next year USD and so on.

Look at our schedule for next year, SDSU would be that Dakota school. FBS games are great for the money, but as a fan I really like this schedule.

http://www.undsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=58644&SPID=6399&DB_OEM_ID=13500&Q_SEASON=2013

Just sayin'. Unless NDSU wishes it to remain 62-45-3, they better sign a deal...

Get that chat goin' down in Fargo! "Mean Machine! Mean Machine! Mean Machine!"

9>1

Exactly.

Why chance losing the mystique? More than likely, NDSU would prevail for a few years. But, once they lost (and they would, history has proven so...35-30 in Nickel Games alone) they would lose the recruiting edge. Although, the guys they have been recruiting may be good on the football field at the FCS level, but off the field..a nightmare.

NDSU could be hitting another big run. Having a rocking dome certainly has got to help recruiting as well as having a competent(so it seems eh?) coaching staff.

That is a big part of why I dislike NDSU so much, but my blatant lack of respect for that program is the direct result of the way they have conducted themselves since going I-AA.

Hey didn't you say you wanted no part of UND without the nickname bro?

The way NDSU has conducted themselves since going FCS? Do you mean being extremely successful or?

Until NDSU plays UND, you will consistently here from UND fans that NDSU does not want to play us because they do not want to lose to UND. I am not saying they are scared to play UND by any means. They are the best team in FC right now. They have beaten many ranked teams. They have won a conference title. They have won several games against FBS teams. They have won a National Championship. But even Bison fans can agree that losing to UND in football after all the have accomplished in the past 9 years, would be a huge setback for their program. Sure they can hang their hat, and rightfully so, on all their successes. But losing to UND would be a huge blow to NDSU. So until they decide (or GT decides) to play the game, you are going to keep hearing from UND fans that NDSU does not want to play us because losing would would equal Armageddon in Fargo!!

Until NDSU plays UND, you will consistently here from UND fans that NDSU does not want to play us because they do not want to lose to UND. I am not saying they are scared to play UND by any means. They are the best team in FC right now. They have beaten many ranked teams. They have won a conference title. They have won several games against FBS teams. They have won a National Championship. But even Bison fans can agree that losing to UND in football after all the have accomplished in the past 9 years, would be a huge setback for their program. Sure they can hang their hat, and rightfully so, on all their successes. But losing to UND would be a huge blow to NDSU. So until they decide (or GT decides) to play the game, you are going to keep hearing from UND fans that NDSU does not want to play us because losing would would equal Armageddon in Fargo!!

Good post.

It is a long story. The short version is that NDSU moved up to Division I several years before UND. They wanted to continue the series during the transition. Playing a Division I team would have counted against UND trying to get into the Division II playoffs, so UND stopped the series. UND was interested in playing again once they started the transition, and still are now that UND is a full FCS member, but NDSU refuses to consider it because the AD is still mad that UND stopped the series. Many NDSU fans are still upset because they believe that UND cancelled just to create problems for NDSU during the transition.

you forgot about the way UND cancelled it (NDSU found out from the press after the news conference, from my understanding) and the part where there are massive asymmetries between the current strengths and bargaining positions of the programs. From NDSU's perspective, this is a lose-lose. From und's perspective, they might not be able to reestablish a decent footing for the program until they beat NDSU.

From a rivalry perspective, why would ndsu want to come in while UND is doing such a great job of beating itself?

That is correct, I want no part of UND without the nickname.

so why are you posting here?

The way NDSU has conducted themselves since going I-AA, arrogant and obnoxious.

the ndsu side of me would like to say that they have earned the right to be arrogant and obnoxious. They came, they saw, the conquered, and once that was done, they gloated heavily.

I do suspect that either every other year or every 3rd year will eventually work out.

you forgot about the way UND cancelled it (NDSU found out from the press after the news conference, from my understanding) and the part where there are massive asymmetries between the current strengths and bargaining positions of the programs. From NDSU's perspective, this is a lose-lose. From und's perspective, they might not be able to reestablish a decent footing for the program until they beat NDSU.

From a rivalry perspective, why would ndsu want to come in while UND is doing such a great job of beating itself?

Just a few seasons ago ndsu was 3-8. We have been beating ourselves lately but things can change quickly.

Look at our schedule for next year, SDSU would be that Dakota school. FBS games are great for the money, but as a fan I really like this schedule.

http://www.undsports...0&Q_SEASON=2013

SDSU is the back end of the home and home. UND needs to make more of those with all the Dakota schools. (if the USD game is true) UND is set for teams for the next two seasons...its great to know that we won't be scrambling at the end, unless a team backs out which is always a possibility. We have had 2 so far since we moved up (ISU, UCA).