SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Begging for a game? That is laughable buddy because you clearly have not seen our future schedules because they are pretty busy. At this point I am ready to move on and maybe we can meet in the playoffs.

Agree. A North Dakota win over NDSU in the playoffs for the first meeting since 2003 would be epic. Keep them off the regular season schedule for football.

IMO, keeping the football series on ice intensifies the rivalry in all the other sports, specifically basketball. That is where I think everyone can agree, the games benefit both schools equally, and create a statewide buzz around programs that really need it.

• Upvote 1

So South Dakota is one of the better teams and established. Better than UND? Didn't UND just beat them yet again for a conference title? Please tell me how NDSU agrees to a home and home with South Dakota and yet Gene Taylor doesn't sign a home and home with UND. I smell BS in his we will play them every other year line.

South Dakota is in the Valley for football. That is why they are playing them.

NDSU played USD 2 years ago. That was before South Dakota became part of the MVFC.

I think USD was a 2 or 1..

I believe you're right, but I couldn't find it in a quick look. The rest of the contract went away since they are in the same conference.

Yes, their series with South Dakota was a 2 for 1. And as it turns out, USD didn't even get a home game out of the deal. They are playing in Sioux Falls.

It is very obvious based on his actions (and the words of the Bison trolls on this forum) that Gene Taylor would really want any future regular season UND-NDSU games to be in Fargo. Period. Otherwise, "it just isn't worth our time". :angry: Well, I got news for all of you FBS wanna-be's in Imperial Cass County and elsewhere around the region, Brian Faison will never, ever agree to something like that. If that is what it would take to restart the rivalry, I am comfortable with the status quo. We'll just have to wait until we meet in the FCS playoffs. Unless the mighty Bison move up to FBS and join the Big Ten. :silly: I suppose they would be jumping to play us again by that point.

That could have been $1mm towards our new IPF or paid for most of our non-revenue sports for the season. I don't see Faison passing up a payday that big. Especially compared to the other crappy FBS schools we are playing for a fraction of the money.

gross.... good thing Faison is here now

Faison is the one who made that deal. And it was quite the accomplishment at the time, because North Dakota was not a "counter" to Texas Tech for bowl game aspirations...........................UND is one of the few teams to get an FBS game as a "non-counter".

I can't see Faison turning down Oklahoma for even $300,000...................unless prior scheduling requirements precluded it, which is very possible. But for $1 million? UND would find a way to make the game happen.....................

Sorry, but I question your "source".......................

Faison is the one who made that deal. And it was quite the accomplishment at the time, because North Dakota was not a "counter" to Texas Tech for bowl game aspirations...........................UND is one of the few teams to get an FBS game as a "non-counter".

I can't see Faison turning down Oklahoma for even $300,000...................unless prior scheduling requirements precluded it, which is very possible. But for $1 million? UND would find a way to make the game happen.....................

Sorry, but I question your "source".......................

I never question my sources. They were right on the new all blacks among other things. When was Bunning's last year that he scheduled?

I never question my sources. They were right on the new all blacks among other things. When was Bunning's last year that he scheduled?

I haven't found any source reporting any FCS school getting $1,000,000 from an FBS school. Appalachian State is rumored to be getting $850,000 for the rematch in 2014. I have seen 1 or 2 other rumors of numbers in that range. So I don't see any way that Oklahoma would have offered $1,000,000 to a transitioning school, and I doubt that UND would turn it down.

Buning left in December of 2007. He was the fool that agreed to a $10,000 buy-out clause with both Idaho St. and Southeast Louisiana (which they both excercised). He also locked us into two games with Idaho at $100,000 a pop, barely enough to cover expenses. That was gross. Faison came in May of 2008. He got us $225,000 from Texas Tech (as a non-counter), $250,000 from Fresno St., and $275,000 from San Diego St. Faison has been awesome......................

I haven't found any source reporting any FCS school getting $1,000,000 from an FBS school. Appalachian State is rumored to be getting $850,000 for the rematch in 2014. I have seen 1 or 2 other rumors of numbers in that range. So I don't see any way that Oklahoma would have offered $1,000,000 to a transitioning school, and I doubt that UND would turn it down.

Agree..................

The most I've ever seen reported was in the $500,000 to $600,000 range that Montana got from Tennessee..................................

Oklahoma could probably pay more than Tennessee, but I doubt they'd offer it to a school like North Dakota...........................

Agree..................

The most I've ever seen reported was in the $500,000 to $600,000 range that Montana got from Tennessee..................................

Oklahoma could probably pay more than Tennessee, but I doubt they'd offer it to a school like North Dakota...........................

Appalachian State supposedly got $750,000 to play at LSU. I saw one report of $900,000, but it didn't identify the schools so I don't know if that was true or not. More and more reports in the $4-500,000 range. UNI has 2 in that range this year with Iowa and Wisconsin, plus Wisconsin bought them out of a game against Southern Utah.

The numbers are definately trending upward.

If the number we are debating was in fact offered to North Dakota, I have a hard time believing they'd turn it down. Which leads me to believe that high a payout wasn't offered....................................

If the number we are debating was in fact offered to North Dakota, I have a hard time believing they'd turn it down. Which leads me to believe that high a payout wasn't offered....................................

Agreed.

It is very obvious based on his actions (and the words of the Bison trolls on this forum) that Gene Taylor would really want any future regular season UND-NDSU games to be in Fargo. Period. Otherwise, "it just isn't worth our time". :angry: Well, I got news for all of you FBS wanna-be's in Imperial Cass County and elsewhere around the region, Brian Faison will never, ever agree to something like that. If that is what it would take to restart the rivalry, I am comfortable with the status quo. We'll just have to wait until we meet in the FCS playoffs. Unless the mighty Bison move up to FBS and join the Big Ten. :silly: I suppose they would be jumping to play us again by that point.

So for excuses not to play UND:

Need 6 home games

Need better competition

Has to be every other year

So in 2009 NDSU played 5 home games (due to a home and home with SHSU) their OOC home game was against Wagner. Final record 3-8. I think in Taylor's mind if you only have 5 home games you are doomed. Well what is Gene going to do in 2015 when they play AT Montana. Which means 1 home OOC game if they schedule an FBS game. Oh my NDSU is doomed in 2015. I am shocked that GT doesn't start telling these FBS teams they must start playing NDSU in Fargo.

• Upvote 1

Buning left in December of 2007. He was the fool that agreed to a $10,000 buy-out clause with both Idaho St. and Southeast Louisiana (which they both excercised). He also locked us into two games with Idaho at $100,000 a pop, barely enough to cover expenses. That was gross. Faison came in May of 2008. He got us $225,000 from Texas Tech (as a non-counter), $250,000 from Fresno St., and $275,000 from San Diego St. Faison has been awesome......................

Buning era was a mess... it took 2 or 3 years to get the scheduling fixed.. well, I guess 4 because we had the Idaho game last year.

It wouldn't be the first thing UND had turned down for whatever reason and it would be the last

It wouldn't be the first thing UND had turned down for whatever reason and it would be the last

Did your source give a reason for turning it down?

Not calling you out, just saying that given UND's history for scheduling FBS teams, it seems unlikely that they'd turn down 4 times what they've agreed to in the past on multiple occaisions..............................

Pay outs are kind of low - time you fly out and back there's not much left. I think we got 350,000 for a bus trip to MN. But the Gophers made it back in spades with the 20,000 ticket sales.