SiouxSports.com Forum

Goodbye Mavericks

coachdags

C'mon guys. I feel for UNO football having played against them on several occasions down on their campus but the reality is that their athletic dept was bleeding out cash and was eventually going to die. UNO football was unsustainable in D2 the way it was and the UNO administration had a tough choice to make, D3 for all sports or D1. They had the opportunity and chose to elivate all their sports to D1 with their hockey program. The collateral damage that ensued was inevitible.

If the UNO community is so outraged how come they didn't support football and wrestling. Football has been good there for many, many years yet they are only pulling 2500 or so for attendance? That is horrible. They all seem to be proud of their wrestling yet attendance didn't reflect the actual interest. Bottom line, if you would have put your money where your mouth is and financially supported the teams you wouldn't have lost them. Let that be a lesson to the rest of us that we need to support our athletic teams, even in the down years.

Easy for Dennis Dodd to sit in his tower from far away and write a critical hatchet job, he doesn't have to deal with the reality of the situation. The guy is a puke known for writing such pieces.

The way UNO handled the personal angle on the football and wrestling cuts was disgraceful: that can not be denied.

What would it have hurt either UNO or the Summit League to at least give the wrestling team a week to celebrate? Why could Alberts not have sat down later this week with the coaches and informed them, instead of by the phone? Firing someone by phone is about as low class as you can get.

UNO stated the Summit wanted it done right now: why the rush when no one can officially invited to DI until this summer?

Trust Douple to drive the Summit just as much as a drunken Joseph Hazelwood at the helm of the Exxon Valdez. If Douple had any sense of PR and decency, much of the garbage that UNO brought on itself would have been averted.

The way UNO handled the personal angle on the football and wrestling cuts was disgraceful: that can not be denied.

What would it have hurt either UNO or the Summit League to at least give the wrestling team a week to celebrate? Why could Alberts not have sat down later this week with the coaches and informed them, instead of by the phone? Firing someone by phone is about as low class as you can get.

UNO stated the Summit wanted it done right now: why the hurry when no one can officially invited to DI until this summer.

Trust Douple to drive the Summit just as much as a drunken Joseph Hazelwood at the helm of the Exxon Valdez. If Douple had any sense of PR and decency, much of the garbage that UNO brought on itself would have been averted.

You act like Douple called the Omaha Herald and leaked the news, I doubt he would have cared if UNO had a press conference that Sunday or a month later. It wouldn't make any difference, somebody from Omaha probably leaked the story and it left Alberts with no choice. The last thing you want is for the wrestling team to open the Sunday edition of the Omaha Herald and see their program is cut when they open up the front page.

Keep on grinding that axe with Douple, but the man has transformed the Summit into a respectable mid-major conference.

C'mon guys. I feel for UNO football having played against them on several occasions down on their campus but the reality is that their athletic dept was bleeding out cash and was eventually going to die. UNO football was unsustainable in D2 the way it was and the UNO administration had a tough choice to make, D3 for all sports or D1. They had the opportunity and chose to elivate all their sports to D1 with their hockey program. The collateral damage that ensued was inevitible.

If the UNO community is so outraged how come they didn't support football and wrestling. Football has been good there for many, many years yet they are only pulling 2500 or so for attendance? That is horrible. They all seem to be proud of their wrestling yet attendance didn't reflect the actual interest. Bottom line, if you would have put your money where your mouth is and financially supported the teams you wouldn't have lost them. Let that be a lesson to the rest of us that we need to support our athletic teams, even in the down years.

Easy for Dennis Dodd to sit in his tower from far away and write a critical hatchet job, he doesn't have to deal with the reality of the situation. The guy is a puke known for writing such pieces.

For whatever reason, it seems that UNO's football attendance really went downhill once they joined the MIAA. They averaged 7500 per game as recently as 2007.

It was no secret the UNO AD was at the Summit tourney in Sioux Falls. It's also no secret they made a site visit to UNO. The word was leeking out on the street, heck, I read it online on friday this was going down. Either the coach gets a Saturday phone call or reads about it the World Herald Sunday edition. Now, could have the offer from the Summit been held off for a couple weeks? Maybe, but we don't know what other forces were at work that caused it to happen as fast as it did.

You act like Douple called the Omaha Herald and leaked the news, I doubt he would have cared if UNO had a press conference that Sunday or a month later. It wouldn't make any difference, somebody from Omaha probably leaked the story and it left Alberts with no choice. The last thing you want is for the wrestling team to open the Sunday edition of the Omaha Herald and see their program is cut when they open up the front page.

Keep on grinding that axe with Douple, but the man has transformed the Summit into a respectable mid-major conference.

A huge part of Douple's job is to manage the PR of the Summit League. This is just another example of where the news has blown up in the league's face, bringing it more disgrace.

In the rush to get UNO in the league, the Summit didn't give a crap about the negatives associated with cutting programs. What was the rush? Any offer that the Summit gave should have only been extended after assurances that UNO had at least talked in private with the coaches affected. It's called class.

It was no secret the UNO AD was at the Summit tourney in Sioux Falls. It's also no secret they made a site visit to UNO. The word was leeking out on the street, heck, I read it online on friday this was going down. Either the coach gets a Saturday phone call or reads about it the World Herald Sunday edition. Now, could have the offer from the Summit been held off for a couple weeks? Maybe, but we don't know what other forces were at work that caused it to happen as fast as it did.

There was no talk at all about cutting football or wrestling in the Omaha press even though it was well known the Summit was visiting. The Summit and UNO handled the whole situation disastrously - with absolutely no concern or sensitivity for the people negatively affected. It's practically a sports business textbook case of how not to act.

A huge part of Douple's job is to manage the PR of the Summit League. This is just another example of where the news has blown up in the league's face, bringing it more disgrace.

In the rush to get UNO in the league, the Summit didn't give a crap about the negatives associated with cutting programs. What was the rush? Any offer that the Summit gave should have only been extended after assurances that UNO had at least talked in private with the coaches affected. It's called class.

The Summit League doesn't run it's member schools, UNO should have been like NDSU, SDSU and UND and been more open about the process that had been going on for almost a month between the school and the league. Nobody even knew about the study going on at UNO that was looking at restructuring their entire athletic department that had been going on for about a year. Their football coach was recruiting for future classes and their AD knew football had to go in November.

Douple never told UNO to drop a single sport, he told the school they could join the league and compete in just three men's sports. Again the PR is all on UNO, the Summit was just adding a new member and they only wanted UNO to join by the deadline so they could start the transition in the fall.

But like I said blame it all on Douple, keep on grinding that axe.

The Summit League doesn't run it's member schools, UNO should have been like NDSU, SDSU and UND and been more open about the process that had been going on for almost a month between the school and the league. Nobody even knew about the study going on at UNO that was looking at restructuring their entire athletic department that had been going on for about a year. Their football coach was recruiting for future classes and their AD knew football had to go in November.

Douple never told UNO to drop a single sport, he told the school they could join the league and compete in just three men's sports. Again the PR is all on UNO, the Summit was just adding a new member and they only wanted UNO to join by the deadline so they could start the transition in the fall.

But like I said blame it all on Douple, keep on grinding that axe.

Conferences provide members with certain services: like "good" PR advice.

Conferences provide members with certain services: like "good" PR advice.

What would you have them do? The story was going to break, there was nothing the Summit or UNO could do to stop it. The only thing that could have helped is UNO being more open from the start with their coaches.

UNO did need to get moving, they have an entire football team and staff that needs to find new schools. I'm sure they would have liked to wait a few days so the wresting team could have had their spotlight but you can't control the press.

What would you have them do? The story was going to break, there was nothing the Summit or UNO could do to stop it. The only thing that could have helped is UNO being more open from the start with their coaches.

UNO did need to get moving, they have an entire football team and staff that needs to find new schools. I'm sure they would have liked to wait a few days so the wresting team could have had their spotlight but you can't control the press.

Decent people demand that people be treated decently. This whole thing had been going on for months, not days.

Douple's also talking out of his back cheeks here:

Douple said he was aware of the controversy related to UNO's proposal to drop football and wrestling but was not getting involved. UNO leaders say they are proposing to drop football for financial reasons and to drop wrestling to better align with the new league.

Douple said he's glad UNO is looking to add men's soccer and golf if it joins the league. The league did not request that the school add the sports but did note that, as currently structured, the university offers only three men's sports sponsored by the Summit League. That's half as many as the school with the next fewest, Fort Wayne, which has six men's sports and is planning to add a seventh.

“It never came down to ‘We won't let you in if you don't add sports,''' Douple said.
But it was just very strongly encouraged. :glare:

Omaha WH: Summit League has had eye on UNO for a long time

I saw this the other day and it got me thinking about how I would react if we lost Sioux football. I'd feel like a part of my childhood is gone a little. Growing up, going to Sioux games at the old Memorial stadium. I don't follow Sioux football religiously like I do hockey, but still it'd be weird.

I hope it got you thinking, "You know, I know it's just a crappy game against some NAIA school, but the football program, and its players, could use the support, and it is an awful good time just going to tailgate and hang out with other Sioux fans. I think I'll go to the game and just have a good time."

I know that's what I'm doing when USD plays NW Oklahoma State or Missouri S&T or some other non-D1. It's an event, there are only 5-6 Gamedays a year. I don't care who the opponent is, I'm going to be there. Sadly, that's not how they felt in Omaha and their lack of support cost them the program.

I hope it got you thinking, "You know, I know it's just a crappy game against some NAIA school, but the football program, and its players, could use the support, and it is an awful good time just going to tailgate and hang out with other Sioux fans. I think I'll go to the game and just have a good time."

I know that's what I'm doing when USD plays NW Oklahoma State or Missouri S&T or some other non-D1. It's an event, there are only 5-6 Gamedays a year. I don't care who the opponent is, I'm going to be there. Sadly, that's not how they felt in Omaha and their lack of support cost them the program.

I am the same way. Will have fun regardless.

I hope some Sioux fans have noticed that USD has 3 lower level teams on their schedule next year also. We are both in the same boat as far as last year of transition scheduling (except you have Eastern Washington at home - good get!).

I am the same way. Will have fun regardless.

I hope some Sioux fans have noticed that USD has 3 lower level teams on their schedule next year also. We are both in the same boat as far as last year of transition scheduling (except you have Eastern Washington at home - good get!).

We HAD D1 Lamar on the schedule but they backed out on their end of the deal. Timing was bad because by the time we found out most other schools had their schedules set. I'd guess if something shakes free at the alst minute we could replace one of the sub D1"s, but as of right now we're screwed.

It will be nice to be in a conference and not have to deal with this. Don't know if you heard but we have a deal with Colgate coming to the Dome in 2012 and signed a contrac to play at Kansas St in 2015. So in 2012 we have Colgate and Northwestern along with the GWFC schedule, that's 10 games. Sure would be great if the 11th game was against the Sioux.

We HAD D1 Lamar on the schedule but they backed out on their end of the deal. Timing was bad because by the time we found out most other schools had their schedules set. I'd guess if something shakes free at the alst minute we could replace one of the sub D1"s, but as of right now we're screwed.

It will be nice to be in a conference and not have to deal with this. Don't know if you heard but we have a deal with Colgate coming to the Dome in 2012 and signed a contrac to play at Kansas St in 2015. So in 2012 we have Colgate and Northwestern along with the GWFC schedule, that's 10 games. Sure would be great if the 11th game was against the Sioux.

Have you heard anything regarding negotiations to hopefully keep the UND-USD series going?

Does anybody think there's a possibility of Pat Behrns being added to the Staff as that offensive assistant that we have open. As Mussman is going to be working with the o-line???

When I read the story about UNO Football. I thought about Pat Behrns coming back to help out it would be a great hire.

I as under the impression that Behrns was not a fan of UND based on his termination here.

The termination was 26 years, and several a.d.'s ago. And I'm not sure how picky he can afford to be at this point. But with that said, I still think it's more likely Lennon will find a place for him. I see it similar to when Ben Jacobson hired Rich Glas a few years back.

I once had the same mindset, until I saw this a few years ago.

He is part of the UND's past and evidently still thought of quite highly.

Behrns wasn't "terminated" here. He was taking a lot of heat and the program was struggling. He took an assistant job at a D1 school (with Utah State I think). He was not popular here at the time with fans. It took quite a awhile for Roger Thomas to resurrect the program. There certainly was pressure on him and the administration at the time. Since that time he was respected as a good coach at Utah State and he did a great job at Omaha.

Behrns wasn't "terminated" here. He was taking a lot of heat and the program was struggling. He took an assistant job at a D1 school (with Utah State I think). He was not popular here at the time with fans. It took quite a awhile for Roger Thomas to resurrect the program. There certainly was pressure on him and the administration at the time. Since that time he was respected as a good coach at Utah State and he did a great job at Omaha.

I can't remember the year but he lost to the Bison in the last game of that year (bad) and that Sunday he was gone. To say he wasn't terminated is playing lose with the facts. I have no idea what his thoughts are on UND but if he wasn't fired he was told to leave.

That was when I was in college. I was one of the one yelling "Fire Behrns" from the sparse student section and yes I was likely intoxicated while doing it. He had done a nice job at Omaha. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back and help the Sioux in some capacity.