SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire head coach Dave Hakstol

Goon

Get out the pitch forks and rakes  

143 members have voted

1. 1. If Hakstol's team doesn't win a national title should he be fired.

• Yes
    • No

So what your saying is that you don't disagree with the statement.....just the spelling? (as your post offered nothing on the topic.....which is why we have this thread)

So god forbid that a mistake is every made....so do please let me know when your offering that "self improvement" course so you can teach us all on how to be perfect.

Do you ever post anything positive? Or is it always negative with you?

It seems there is an increase in posters around here when there's something to complain about....and I am wondering if you are one of those people?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And who took Blais out to the woodshed in '98 and '99 and even '04?

Seriously. Blais = great coach. Hak = great coach. Yes, Hakstol still hasn't attained the national championships but that's not unprecedented for a great coach, either.

We're lucky to have him.

• Upvote 1

Seriously. Blais = great coach. Hak = great coach. Yes, Hakstol still hasn't attained the national championships but that's not unprecedented for a great coach, either.

We're lucky to have him.

I agree they are both good coaches. Who knows maybe instead of wining two NC for ND, Hak may win four. Who knows.

All I know is that Hak got taken to the woodshed by Blaiser.

Last I checked, UNO was, and is, far from chopped liver in this year's college hockey season. They have a legitimate shot at making the tournament and, once there, like all sixteen teams, they will have a legitmate shot at The Crown.

Blais doubled up Hak on Friday. Hak returned the favor on Saturday. Neither of them were on the ice, best I saw from where I was sitting. At least not until the final horn on Saturday, when they both had a reasoned conversation.

There were no woodshed trips this weekend. It was a split in the WCHA. Happens all the time. You weren't on here claiming that Gwoz, or Lucy, or Sandelein took Hak to the shed earlier this season, were you?

There were no woodshed trips this weekend. It was a split in the WCHA. Happens all the time. You weren't on here claiming that Gwoz, or Lucy, or Sandelein took Hak to the shed earlier this season, were you?

Last time I checked Hak has taken Lucia, Gwoz and Sandelien to the wood shed a few times him self...It's the WCHA good teams lose too...

We're lucky to have him.

What makes a coach great?

For Hak it must be the one McNaughton, the two Broadmoors, and the four Frozen Four.

For Blais..... well we all know the answer to that.

Easy mistake. Zach Parise and TJ Oshie are easily mistaken. Happens all the time. :silly:

But, I don't believe we ever had a "Blaise or Gasparinni" either. No Blaise or Gasparinni as coaches and no Zach Parise as a player for Hak.

If Hak was as good, accurate and competent as you are, we

That's the big thing. Hakstol's very good. Maybe he's not great at everything but there's nobody out there that you could reasonably expect to be any better.

The only possible replacement maybe would be Berry as head coach but beyond that you are spot on. But then who is to say that Berry would do any better than Hak?

Goon, you really opened up a can, far too early in the season! This whole thread is just ridiculous. We're in 2nd place in the WCHA and people are ripping on Hak in his 7th year. The example of Jerry York, Red Berenson, years between championships is perfect. Took Gwoz 10 yrs till his 1st of 2.

Goon, you really opened up a can, far too early in the season! This whole thread is just ridiculous. We're in 2nd place in the WCHA and people are ripping on Hak in his 7th year. The example of Jerry York, Red Berenson, years between championships is perfect. Took Gwoz 10 yrs till his 1st of 2.

That was pretty much the point of this post, the Sioux are third in the PWR/RPI, they have a record of 18-7-2, they have played the toughest schedule in college hockey while other teams are loading up wins against patsys and cupcake, the Fighting Sioxu are one point out of first place and there are people that want Hakstol to be fired this season if the Fighting Sioux don't win the National Title... I have been known to be a !@$! disturber as well... :lol::ohmy:

I voted "yes," but I was doing it to be funny since we're jokingly sandbagging Hak's career at UND.

I voted "No" I don't think we should fire the coach nor get all worked up because they lost one game to UNO... I would be willing to bet if UNO went out east to play Yale or insert your team _________ the Mavericks would take a piece out of them as well...

STEVE JOHNSON,

How much head coaching experience in college hockey does he have? What a joke to think that Steve Johnson is magically going to win a NCAA title if he came to UND. Hak and Co. are recruiting the best and building the best team to win, its not that easy to coast to the championship anymore. Any team can win it on a yearly basis. Just need to get hot at the right time.

I just hope Hak has some pressure to preform from the higher ups.

I don't think he needs much "pressure to perform." A coach feels that pressure when he knows what the expectations are every year at a program like UND. Hak knows the expectations and the tradition.

STEVE JOHNSON,

Good point. Like tho0505 said though he has no real experience at the college level. But how much coaching experience did Hak have when he took over? At least Steve has a lot of head coaching experience, USHL yes but experience none the less.

Good point. Like tho0505 said though he has no real experience at the college level. But how much coaching experience did Hak have when he took over? At least Steve has a lot of head coaching experience, USHL yes but experience none the less.

A lot more experience than Steve Johnson has. Steve Johnson has really no recruiting experience. Hakstol had 4 years of recruiting experience at UND, before he took over as head coach. That's why the program hasn't been hurt AT ALL since Blais left. The program continues to strive for excellence year after year.

Dave Hakstol's resume:

1989-92 University of North Dakota player <LI>1992-94 Indianapolis Ice (IHL) player <LI>1994-96 Manitoba Moose (IHL) player <LI>1996 Manitoba Moose (IHL) - assistant coach <LI>1998 Central District Team (USA) National Select 16 Festival - head coach <LI>1998 USA/USHL Team IIHF Four Nations Cup - head coach <LI>1996-2000 Sioux City (USHL) - general manager and head coach <LI>2000-2004 University of North Dakota - associate head coach <LI>2004-present University of North Dakota - head coach

Dave Hakstol's resume:

1989-92 University of North Dakota player

1992-94 Indianapolis Ice (IHL) player

1994-96 Manitoba Moose (IHL) player

1996 Manitoba Moose (IHL) - assistant coach

1998 Central District Team (USA) National Select 16 Festival - head coach

1998 USA/USHL Team IIHF Four Nations Cup - head coach

1996-2000 Sioux City (USHL) - general manager and head coach

2000-2004 University of North Dakota - associate head coach

2004-present University of North Dakota - head coach

I just hope Hak has some pressure to preform from the higher ups.

What kind of pressure do you want him to be under, I doubt there is a contract or communication from the administration that says win the NCAA championship or you're out!!! If you noticed this season Hakstol has been way more proactive and if the team gets off course he has been quick to take action, he even called a goaltender or too out as well. If you listen to the weekly press conferences, he has taken it up a bit this season. Like many of us have said here, the University isn't going to fire him unless he does something very unethical, criminal or has a couple of Don Lucia like seasons. That hasn

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Jerry York - 7 years at BC for his 1st title. 7 years later for his 2nd. Another 14 yrs for his 3rd Playing career: Boston College

Jack Parker - 6 years at BU for his 1st title. 17 years later for his 2nd. Playing career: Boston U

Red Berenson - 12 years at UM for his 1st title. 2 years later for his 2nd. Title-less for 12 years. Playing career: Michigan

George Gwozdecky - 10 years at DU for his 1st title. 1 year later for his 2nd. Playing career: Wisconsin

Ron Mason - 6 years at MSU for his 1st title(1986). Titleless until the end of his coaching career 2001. Playing career: St Lawerence

Dave Hakstol - 6 years and counting. Playing career: North Dakota

Ron Mason is the winning coach in college hockey history and he went 15 years without a title and still kept his job. Talk about showing respect for a coach. Those are some great coaches listed right there. Some of the best and it took a while for each to get a title. Hak and Co are doing a great job and we have some of the best recruits coming as well in the near future. Its nice to have a coach that understands our tradition and what the expectations.

Jerry York - 7 years at BC for his 1st title. 7 years later for his 2nd. Another 14 yrs for his 3rd Playing career: Boston College

Jack Parker - 6 years at BU for his 1st title. 17 years later for his 2nd. Playing career: Boston U

Red Berenson - 12 years at UM for his 1st title. 2 years later for his 2nd. Title-less for 12 years. Playing career: Michigan

George Gwozdecky - 10 years at DU for his 1st title. 1 year later for his 2nd. Playing career: Wisconsin

Ron Mason - 6 years at MSU for his 1st title(1986). Titleless until the end of his coaching career 2001. Playing career: St Lawerence

Ron Mason is the winning coach in college hockey history and he went 15 years without a title and still kept his job. Talk about showing respect for a coach. Those are some great coaches listed right there. Some of the best and it took a while for each to get a title. Hak and Co are doing a great job and we have some of the best recruits coming as well in the near future. Its nice to have a coach that understands our tradition and what the expectations.

Good points. But I think York won titles in 01, 08, and 10. And there's our own Gino G, who won it all in his 2nd, 4th, and 9th years.

Interesting comparisons, but I see two coaches not on your list (surprisingly)

Gino Gasparini - Titles in his 2nd, 4th, and 9th years

Dean Blais - Titles in his 3rd and 6th year

Both took over programs in much worse shape - Hak has also had the benefit of recruiting in the best facility in the country.

It is unrealistic to expect that Hak won't be compared to his predecessors. Even though the title of this thread is tongue in cheek, it loads the deck against anyone who dares criticize Hak. Many are frustrated with the lack of titles and had the memories of being tuned up by BC dragged up by our play on Friday. We don't think that Hak should be fired, but hope that he can bring a title home soon. It's been a long enough.

Just listening to Hakstol speak from time to time, and hearing some comments from people who have spoken with him, I don't think Hak needs any "pressure from above". He feels all of the pressure he needs just living up the standards of the Fighting Sioux hockey program. The man takes the legacy of the program seriously.