SiouxSports.com Forum

Fun With Numbers

jk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any refs you LIKE?? :lol:

With so many refs to choose from, you'd think that there would be at least one.

Campion comes closest, UMD.

They all let too much go for the other team and are far to strict on UND. That isn't that bad, really, if you hold the other team to the same standards. None of the refs call equally or consistently.

Their version of equal is putting one from each team in the box, which isn't true. And you can't tell me that if someone trips you or hooks you that you are diving if you fall down goalie or not.

Blais has been rolling only 3 lines recently, I believe. Might tire them out from Fri. to Sat.?

He really started rolling 3 lines on Friday night against CC. He did this because the first time he stuck ou the 4th line CC scored. Palmiscino and Cannady didn't see the ice until the last 2 minutes of the game. He also set Smaby down after a couple of misplays and played Marvin as a defenseman instead about half way through the first period.

So what happens Saturday? He puts the fourth line out and one their second shift CC scores again. So he has very valid reasons to only roll 3 lines. If these guys can't be an asset they're not going to play.

We just need those 4th line guys to play hard and not cost the team. The past couple of weeks that hasn't happened.

To top it off last week all of a sudden I see McMahon on a line centered by Lundbohm. Hey I know that McMahon needs to be on the ice but as a wing?

Here are the lines I'd like to see us put on the ice this weekend and if they perform decently stick with them for the rest of the year:

First line: Bochenski - Parise- Murray

Second Line: Stafford - Genoway - Porter

Third Line: Fylling - Lundbohm - PrPich

Fourth Line: Hale - McMahon- Massen

(then move guys around based upon how they are playing. So if Massen isn't skating use Fabian, or if you want some more speed on the second line you switch Fylling and Porter, etc.)

I know that Blais is mad at Smaby but he has such a bigger upside right now than Marvin does. I'd like to see him stick with these D pairings:

Schnedier - Bina

Greene - Jones

Smaby - Fuher

I think it's time that Blais stabilizes the team and the best way to do this is put these guys on the ice and let them perform.

My point exactly. Marvin is a defenceman....NOT a forward. If he is ticked at Hale, Massen, Canady, or Palmo, they still have so much more skill and experience than Fabian or Marvin. Don't get me wrong I want the best guys out there, but I think he is ticked at Massen especially and Canady and has just washed his hands of Palmo. He is trying to "send a message" instead of putting the best guys out there. They can't score or regain confidence from the press box.

Actually this past weekend there were a lot of messages being sent.

Canady is probably not playing because he has a tendancy to take stupid penalties. Blaiser also basically said that in the pre-game on Friday. Smaby not playing much is also a message, play my way or sit on the bench or in the stands.

Pripich and Hale not playing on Friday was probably also a message, same as the last player. I am not sure what Blais is doing with Massen. I would expect probably closer to the playoff if the 4th line doesn't produce your going to see the best three lines of forwards playing. Just my HMO.

I actually like Marvin as a forward. He has the potential to be a good energy line guy, or possibly even a 3rd liner.

I too was surprised by McMahon playing the wing. This is what I, personally would love to see as line combos.

Parise-Murray-Stafford

Lundbohm-Bochenski-Porter

Fylling-McMahon-Prpich

Genoway-Hale/Massen-Marvin/Canady/Fabian/Palmiscino

I'd rather Blais send a message to some players now, and having them learn from their mistakes, instead of them making the mistakes when it is one and done.

I actually like Marvin as a forward.  He has the potential to be a good energy line guy, or possibly even a 3rd liner.

I too was surprised by McMahon playing the wing.  This is what I, personally would love to see as line combos.

Parise-Murray-Stafford

Lundbohm-Bochenski-Porter

Fylling-McMahon-Prpich

Genoway-Hale/Massen-Marvin/Canady/Fabian/Palmiscino

I'd rather Blais send a message to some players now, and having them learn from their mistakes, instead of them making the mistakes when it is one and done.

I just think Blais might be trying to send them a message to play better so we don't crash down the stretch when the games mean a lot, like in a regional game when it is one and done.

If you watched the movie Miracle, you will see that Herbie told his players he was their coach and not their friend. Everything that he did was for a reason, most of which were very successful. Blais was a student of Brooks while he was a player at the UofM so there maybe some simularities to his method. Herbie was very successfull in his coaching methods and Blais has been too. I have to go with the coach here.

Here are some numbers. Throw out two guys from Niagara and UAH and the top scorers nationally ranked by points per game are:

Bochenski

Lessard

Parise

Murray

Vanek

I'm sorry I didn't check whether that was before or after tonight's games. Either way, the message is the same - Wow, there is some serious talent in the WCHA, and especially in Grand Forks. (One other caveat: this is of players in the top 20 nationally in scoring. So there may be someone not in the top 20 who is averaging more points per game, like perhaps Ben Eaves.)

• 3 weeks later...

This is now updated through 35 games, through the end of the regular season. This is how UND's and its opponents' scoring breaks down this year (UND's scoring listed first):

5x3 3-0 (When UND has the 5x3 advantage, it has outscored its opponent 3-0.)

5x4 26-4

5x5 112-49

4x4 11-0

4x5 4-21

3x5 0-2

6x5 1-1 (extra attacker)

5x6 4-0 (empty net)

Total 161-77

Maybe the best indicator of the kind of season UND has had is 4x4 scoring. They outscored opponents 11-0, and, as they say, it wasn't as close as the score. In the games I watched, UND was consistently able to create chances in 4x4 situations, and the funny part was they did it with a lot of different pairs of forwards. It seems like the favored pairs by the end of the year were Parise-Bochenski and Murray-Lundbohm.

Bonus Number Fun: In WCHA play, UND outscored its opponents 122-62. That's right, MTU's lone goal on Saturday prevented the Sioux from getting the "double" in goal differential.

More Fun:

UND's WCHA PP: 29-135 21.5%

UND's overall PP: 29-168 17.3%

So, UND's non-conference PP was 0-33, for 0%.

The 21.5% is solid. Regardless of the numbers, I'm now comfortable when UND goes onto the PP that they have a good chance to score; they look dangerous most of the time and generate good chances. This is a feeling I have not been able to claim in the last few years - it has usually been, "Crap, UND's not going to score, and there's a make-up call coming soon."

More Fun: 

UND's WCHA PP: 29-135  21.5%

UND's overall PP: 29-168 17.3%

So, UND's non-conference PP was 0-33, for 0%.

That's because our only nc games (except for the holiday tourney) were at the beginning of the season when our PP was non-exsistent. I'm hoping we'll be able to pull some PP goals out of our hats as soon as the NCAA tourney starts.

And, after these past weekends, we've dropped to 17th in the nation for Penalty Minutes (weren't we neaer the top a few weeks ago?). And our penalty kill is 6th now. Looks like we're in a pretty good spot headed into tournament time.

Some more numbers I'll through up here:

After this past weekend of 2 five goal games, we're up to 4.60 Team Offense and down to 2.20 Team Defense with the 2 one goal games.

UND's goal differencial was VERY good. Here are the past league champions:

1997-98 North Dakota------127-80----+47

1998-99 North Dakota------142-76----+66

1999-00 Wisconsin----------112-70----+42

2000-01 North Dakota------115-80----+35

2001-02 Denver-------------108-63----+45

2002-03 Colorado Co-------125-70----+55

2003-04 North Dakota------122-62----+60

The 62 goals against is the best since the 28 game schedule came in. Better than the world renowned defense and goaltending of the '01-'02 Pioneers.

If UND keeps their defensive core together, I will shocked if UND doesn't win at one NCAA title this year or next and that holds true whether or not Parise turns pro.

Shocked that two of the three are yellowdog ???

Lest you all think Sprig has gone insane, he responded too quickly to a post I removed for retooling...

More fun predictions culled from the archives:

Calling me out on my predictive skills and Who agreed with me

We all know how that one turned out (just don't scroll up to see my less prescient Vanek prediction).

I'm still waiting to see the results of this one.

Here is a little bragging about predictions:

http://www.prideonice.com/chat/viewthread.php?thread_id=6624

I had the audacity to claim that Martin leaving would hurt more than Vanek leaving, and that the Gophs would have a mere 25-27 wins entering the NCAA's if Martin or Ballard left. I sure took some heat and only a couple of people including MNS agreed.

I still don't think some Gophs fans realized what we had in Martin (and DeMarchi).

As for my WCHA picks, I had the Sioux on top, but not much else right. ???