SiouxSports.com Forum

Fun With Numbers

jk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is now updated through 9 games. This is how UND's and its opponents' scoring breaks down this year (UND's scoring listed first):

5x3 1-0 (When UND has the 5x3 advantage, it has outscored its opponent 1-0.)

5x4 2-2

5x5 34-10

4x4 5-0

4x5 0-8

3x5 0-1

6x5 1-0 *

* Not sure where to include this so I'll put it in its own category for now. This is an extra-attacker goal, where UND pulled their goalie due to a delayed penalty call on the opponent.

Denver has apparently scored fewer than half its goals at even strength. They have six(!) shorties this year.

Seeing this reminds of the last time you posted related data, it elicited quite a response from at least one gopher fan.

And that got me thinking that I don't recall this board ever being so devoid of comments from the Gopher "faithful." Although I like most of those guys, the peace and quiet is kind of nice.

I guess a 2-7-1 start will do that to some fans.

With a school like UND having a top notch aviation school attached, you'd think that this question wouldn't rise up, but then again, all aviation classes are about where they are going to fly this weekend and the location of the next party :p

And, according to http://www.aoe.vt.edu/~mason/Mason_f/ConfigAeroDesignOpt.pdf , it should be swept 45 - 70 degrees. Seems high, but there you go. Sheesh.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys can even function without me :p

Actually it's only half right....it's 60 degrees, any less than that and theres too much wave drag to go above Mach 2.

So , yes, we can function without you...Mr. A&P :D:)

Actually it's only half right....it's 60 degrees, any less than that and theres too much wave drag to go above Mach 2.

So , yes, we can function without you...Mr. A&P :D;)

Half right? Since when was 60 degrees outside of 45-70 degrees?

Darn pilots. Our jobs wouldn't be half as tough if pilots weren't involved! :p

This is now updated through 11 games. This is how UND's and its opponents' scoring breaks down this year (UND's scoring listed first):

5x3 2-0 (When UND has the 5x3 advantage, it has outscored its opponent 1-0.)

5x4 3-2

5x5 44-13

4x4 6-0

4x5 1-9

3x5 0-1

6x5 1-0 (extra attacker goal)

Total 57-25

Still rolling at even-strength. Special teams comparison is coming along, with the first shortie on the board.

BONUS number fun:

Of Brady Murray's five goals to date, three have been scored very early in a period. It appears that Brady is a little more ready to go than his opponents:

0:13 of the first, Yale

1:07 of the third, MN

0:25 of the third, Denver

• 4 weeks later...

This is now updated through 13 games. This is how UND's and its opponents' scoring breaks down this year (UND's scoring listed first):

5x3 2-0 (When UND has the 5x3 advantage, it has outscored its opponent 2-0.)

5x4 5-2

5x5 51-19

4x4 6-0

4x5 2-10

3x5 0-1

5x6 1-0 (empty net goal)

Total 68-32

Friday night marks the first game of the year where the opponent outscored the Sioux even-strength, by a 4-3 margin. UND's SHG and PPG accounted for the 5-4 final score.

BONUS fun: When UND takes to the ice to play in its holiday tourney, it will have played just two games in the preceding 34 days. It'll be like starting the season all over again.

BONUS fun:  When UND takes to the ice to play in its holiday tourney, it will have played just two games in the preceding 34 days.  It'll be like starting the season all over again.

From a fan's perspective, it feels like waiting for a new season, also. Sioux looked a bit rusty, especially defensively, on Friday against Duluth. Lots of odd man situations in the Sioux end that the Dogs didn't take advantage of. Hope they don't look sloppy at SCSU, although they don't have the offensive firepower that Duluth does.

I guess that says how weak the EZAC is. I don't think Cornell is even that good. Can anyone think of the last time an EZAC team actually beat UND. I can't remember it in the past 10 years.

UND has won 27 or 28 straight against ECAC teams. Included in that streak are wins over every team in the conference except Union, Harvard and Colgate. The last loss came in the 84-85 season when the Sioux split a series with RPI. That RPI team was one of the best clubs in ECAC history, going 35-2-1 and eventually winning the NCAA title. Oh, and it featured one Adam Oates.

UND has won 27 or 28 straight against ECAC teams. Included in that streak are wins over every team in the conference except Union, Harvard and Colgate. The last loss came in the 84-85 season when the Sioux split a series with RPI. That RPI team was one of the best clubs in ECAC history, going 35-2-1 and eventually winning the NCAA title. Oh, and it featured one Adam Oates.

And RPI's last loss that year came at the Winter Sports Center, in overtime, on Thanksgiving weekend, to UND. Chris Jensen lunged for a rebound, knocking the puck in while airborn, in the OT. I can still picture him landing on the ice, fully horizontal, and bouncing from his stomach back to his feet in one motion to celebrate. That great RPI team beat a great UMD team in the national semifinals in multiple overtimes before beating Chris Terrerri's Providence team in the finals.

That great RPI team beat a great UMD team in the national semifinals in multiple overtimes before beating Chris Terrerri's Providence team in the finals.

:silly: You just HAD to remind everyone, didn't you. :blush:

I don't know what was the deal with UMD and multi-OT games. They lost the '84 NC game to Bowling Green in 4 OT's.

• 2 weeks later...

This is now updated through 15 games. This is how UND's and its opponents' scoring breaks down this year (UND's scoring listed first):

5x3 2-0 (When UND has the 5x3 advantage, it has outscored its opponent 2-0.)

5x4 5-2

5x5 60-22

4x4 7-0

4x5 2-10

3x5 0-1

5x6 2-0 (empty net goal)

Total 79-35

• 2 weeks later...

With the powerplay clicking for at least one night (4 of 7), Brandon Bochenski is now the WCHA leader in powerplay goals with 6 in 11 games. Just think if the PP clicks in, how unstoppable this team will be. They averaged 5+ goals a game with a 0.9% PP going into last night.

Teams won't be able to hold as much, because they would risk getting a penalty and having goals scored on them. Right now, that has been something they can do without too much damage.

Edit: We are ranked 4th in the WCHA on the PP with 19.4%

that's not what collegehockey.com says.  Maybe you are only counting WCHA games...but overall your PP is at 12%.  UMD 2nd in PP at 24.6%.

Hey UMDaugz, who care what what UMDs percentage on the power play is this is a UND sight.

This is a college hockey site...and a much better one than any other I have found. There is not as much flaming or personal attacks. People just want to talk hockey here, and that is cool. I am a Bulldogs fan, you are a Sioux fans. We both respect each other and enjoy talking hockey together, so what does it matter whose "sight" it is.

This is now updated through 19 games. This is how UND's and its opponents' scoring breaks down this year (UND's scoring listed first):

5x3 3-0 (When UND has the 5x3 advantage, it has outscored its opponent 3-0.)

5x4 9-3

5x5 69-28

4x4 7-0

4x5 2-12

3x5 0-1

5x6 3-0 (empty net goal)

Total 94-44

I'm going to go on record with my opinion that the PP is improving, even though the numbers don't yet show it much. At least it's not the train wreck to watch that it was earlier in the season.