SiouxSports.com Forum

Marlin Lee needs our prayers

homer

Thanks everyone. Sorry I haven't made it over to SiouxSports in a while...obviously I have some other major things going on in my life right now.

I just found out today that the cancer has spread to both of my hips and my left shoulder in addition to the now football-sized tumor that's in my right chest wall. Doctor said my 5-year survival rate is probably about 7%. Things aren't exactly looking wonderful, but I'm definitely going to put up a fight.

My first batch of chemotherapy will probably begin mid-week next week. Just waiting on my insurance to approve everything.

Also, a bunch of people are currently in the process of setting up a website and benefit fund to help my family offset some of my medical bills as I'm the sole financial provider for my family of 4 kids (7 years old, 4 years old, 3 years old and 6 months) and my wife. They're also going to be setting up some benefit concerts, silent auctions, raffles, etc. Any help anyone could give would be GREATLY appreciated. I'll post a link to the website once it's created.

Thanks,

Marlin

Thanks everyone. Sorry I haven't made it over to SiouxSports in a while...obviously I have some other major things going on in my life right now.

I just found out today that the cancer has spread to both of my hips and my left shoulder in addition to the now football-sized tumor that's in my right chest wall. Doctor said my 5-year survival rate is probably about 7%. Things aren't exactly looking wonderful, but I'm definitely going to put up a fight.

My first batch of chemotherapy will probably begin mid-week next week. Just waiting on my insurance to approve everything.

Also, a bunch of people are currently in the process of setting up a website and benefit fund to help my family offset some of my medical bills as I'm the sole financial provider for my family of 4 kids (7 years old, 4 years old, 3 years old and 6 months) and my wife. They're also going to be setting up some benefit concerts, silent auctions, raffles, etc. Any help anyone could give would be GREATLY appreciated. I'll post a link to the website once it's created.

Thanks,

Marlin

I'll be praying for you, my friend. Please keep us posted.

Jeremiah 33:3

Thanks,

Marlin

You will remain in our prayers. Please keep us posted as to what we might be able to do to assist you and your family!

I hope everyone will do what they can with thoughts, prayers, and contributions.

Also, would anyone be willing to coordinate donations of Fighting Sioux apparel? Maybe get Scheel's/bookstore/Sioux Shop to accept donations? Buy an extra item when you're shopping for the family. Let's keep these kids in Fighting Sioux clothing until they're students at the University of North Dakota.

I don't know if Marlin is going to log on again but if someone here knows him please forward this message to him. I'm going to send it via PM but I don't know that he'll get it.

Marlin,

Please research Dr. Eugene D. Kwon who is a cancer researcher with Mayo Clinic.His research notes that cells produce B7H which wipes out the immune system which results in cancers spreading. Dr. Kwon has found a 'CTLA' blocker that take the brakes off T-cell immunities and helps the body fight tumors. He has an excellent response rate and has even had complete response in patients with stage 4 melanoma. It has been shown to put MANY types of cancer into remission. Some tumors were completely wiped out even in patients with bone lesions such as you have. The positive results of Dr. Kwon's clinical trials have resulted in the FDA fast-tracking it's approval which is still pending. The patients with stage four melanoma who were part of a clinical trial were still alive 5 years later! The duration of the positive response isn't yet known but it looks very promising. An interesting side note is the patients who had the most severe side effects were often the most responsive.

When you mentioned a 7% 5 year survival rate, I remembered a colleague telling me about a conference she went to where she heard Dr. Kwon speak. The information I cited above is from her notes. Please check it out! It can't hurt and based on what she told me, it could extend your chances of survival tremendously.

God bless!

Sioux-cia

http://mayoresearch....taff/kwon_e.cfm

kwon.eugene@mayo.edu

Edited by Sioux-cia

Just a couple of quick updates for everyone...

I'm headed into MD Anderson tomorrow for xrays, blood work and then a class to teach me how to take care of my central line that'll be used during chemotherapy. Then I'll actually have my central line installed on Thursday followed by starting chemotherapy a few hours later. The whole chemo process that day is supposed to take about 5 hours.

Trying to create a website for me has turned into a bit of a fiasco, but I finally talked to my boss at Wissports.net and he may be putting something together for me now. So be on the lookout for that.

As for you interested in helping my family and I financially, a PayPal account has been created and is linked below.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=9_spMKsW9qbLOdGmP-S_couKuZjH5yXiyRRwm1G6K0TaiifM3Cp97S5oCjO&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d9384d85353843a619606282818e091d0

Thanks,

Marlin Lee

Just a couple of quick updates for everyone...

I'm headed into MD Anderson tomorrow for xrays, blood work and then a class to teach me how to take care of my central line that'll be used during chemotherapy. Then I'll actually have my central line installed on Thursday followed by starting chemotherapy a few hours later. The whole chemo process that day is supposed to take about 5 hours.

Trying to create a website for me has turned into a bit of a fiasco, but I finally talked to my boss at Wissports.net and he may be putting something together for me now. So be on the lookout for that.

As for you interested in helping my family and I financially, a PayPal account has been created and is linked below.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=9_spMKsW9qbLOdGmP-S_couKuZjH5yXiyRRwm1G6K0TaiifM3Cp97S5oCjO&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d9384d85353843a619606282818e091d0

Thanks,

Marlin Lee

Thanks for the PayPal info - you can count on me and I am sure many other Sioux fans to help!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link to my cancer blog. I try to post something every few days plus include a song/music video that sort of describes how I am feeling or what's going on.

I'm feeling really good right now and had some amazing results from my treatment, so thanks to everyone who has sent prayers my way!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the link to my cancer blog. I try to post something every few days plus include a song/music video that sort of describes how I am feeling or what's going on.

I'm feeling really good right now and had some amazing results from my treatment, so thanks to everyone who has sent prayers my way!

I am sure that all Sioux fans are extremely pleased to learn that you are feeling well! Hang in there - you will remain in our prayers!

I don't usually look in to the Football thread here on SiouxSports (I'm more of a hockey gal), but passing some time this morning I came across this thread. I just finished reading Marlins blog, and it seems to me that Marlin is one hell of a fighter. He has a wife and kids that he plans on being around for and by the looks of it, he will be.

Marlin, I thought the same thing about the Packers as you did. I was never a fan, but liked a couple players here and there. I read something not long ago about Aaron Rodgers, and that has turned my thoughts around about the team. I may not ever be a huge Pack fan, but I am a big fan of his. Also, after seeing a story on ESPN about the Matthews family, I'm a fan of theirs too.

I'll be sending prayers your way, and look forward to seeing more posts on your blog. Wishing you all the best.

Now, GO AND KICK CANCERS BUTT!!

Siouxmama

I don't usually look in to the Football thread here on SiouxSports (I'm more of a hockey gal), but passing some time this morning I came across this thread. I just finished reading Marlins blog, and it seems to me that Marlin is one hell of a fighter. He has a wife and kids that he plans on being around for and by the looks of it, he will be.

Marlin, I thought the same thing about the Packers as you did. I was never a fan, but liked a couple players here and there. I read something not long ago about Aaron Rodgers, and that has turned my thoughts around about the team. I may not ever be a huge Pack fan, but I am a big fan of his. Also, after seeing a story on ESPN about the Matthews family, I'm a fan of theirs too.

I'll be sending prayers your way, and look forward to seeing more posts on your blog. Wishing you all the best.

Now, GO AND KICK CANCERS BUTT!!

Siouxmama

Thanks for the prayers! They're definitely welcomed. And keep reading! I've taken some time off from my recruiting writing and so this cancer blog has become my new creative outlet. So it's always nice to know other people out there are actually taking the time to read what I write.