SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ UNO

AZSIOUX

The Sioux are heading to Omaha for their first ever WCHA series vs the Mavericks after a very nice weekend in Madison. Let's hope that sweep gets this team rolling! Dean Blais has the Mavericks off to a red hot start at 8-1-1 and 5-0-1 in the WCHA. Sweep those mavs!!

WCHA Standings

und.gif - Fighting Sioux Hockey Home Page

NCAA Division I Overall Record: 7-4-1 (.625)

Conference Record, WCHA: 6-2-0, 12 points

Home: 2-2-0 / Away: 4-2-1 / Neutral: 1-0-0

uno.gif - Mavericks Hockey Home Page

NCAA Division I Overall Record: 8-1-1 (.850)

Conference Record, WCHA: 5-0-1, 11 points

Home: 4-0-0 / Away: 4-1-1 / Neutral: 0-0-0

UNO looks good and is feeling better. From what I've heard from my boys in Omaha, the fans and the team are all surprised by their start. They are a fast team which doesn't scrum too often. If our D can keep them in check we should be able to wear them down and put up a few goals. I'm calling a Sioux sweep. UNO will think they can play with us and will keep it close in game 1, until we wear them down in the end. Sioux get a hard fought 4-2 win Friday and an easier 5-2 win on Saturday.

I'll be getting my sweep after the games at the Upstream in downtown OMA. Nothing better than a win and a good micro-brew.

UNO looks good and is feeling better. From what I've heard from my boys in Omaha, the fans and the team are all surprised by their start. They are a fast team which doesn't scrum too often. If our D can keep them in check we should be able to wear them down and put up a few goals. I'm calling a Sioux sweep. UNO will think they can play with us and will keep it close in game 1, until we wear them down in the end. Sioux get a hard fought 4-2 win Friday and an easier 5-2 win on Saturday.

I'll be getting my sweep after the games at the Upstream in downtown OMA. Nothing better than a win and a good micro-brew.

The trademark of the Sioux teams in the 90's & 00's was to wear down the other team & dominate the 3rd. period.

Blaiser was way ahead of everyone else in having his teams in the best condition & able to out hustle every other team.

I don't think the Sioux will have that advantage, The skill of the Sioux players is what has to win this series.

As much as I hate to say it. Sioux split. Sioux friday, Mavs on Sat.

coming to Omaha from Colorado. Would love to party with some Sioux fans while there. Any idea where to go for a good beer in Omaha?

Wife and I are flying from Denver to Omaha on Friday morning. Staying at the Hilton and will be partying before and after the games here: http://www.upstreambrewing.com/ - they have great beer and food.

Let's go SIOUX!!!

I'm a Sioux alum that lives in Omaha. I've been to a few UNO games this year and they are a classic Blais team. They have fast, creative forwards that are fun to watch. They're defense and goaltending is decent. They do a good job of keeping opponents shots on the perimeter and keeping players away from the net. UND will have to do a good job of playing the body to slow down their forwards and crash the net and pick up rebounds. UNO hasn't had the toughest schedule so far. I'd say their toughest test so far this season was Michigan in Ann Arbor and they split there. This weekend will be a good test for both teams. It's going to be fun to watch!! GO SIOUX!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I'll be pretty upset if we get swept. I expect a split, but will be very excited if we can sweep them on their home ice.

I think FSSN should try to broadcast the games feed locally, just given the "unspoken rivalry" between past and current coaches, I think these would be highy watched games. I haven't got to watch much of UNO, but did watch their games against Minnesota. From what I remember they looked really fast, more like a Hockey East team than a WCHA team. I don't remember them being as physical as say the "Sioux" are. They have more penalty minutes, we really need to watch out for those 5 minute majors. I don't think we could kill off 2 of them against UNO like we were able to do with the Badgers.

GO SIOUX!!

I'll be pretty upset if we get swept. I expect a split, but will be very excited if we can sweep them on their home ice.

I think FSSN should try to broadcast the games feed locally, just given the "unspoken rivalry" between past and current coaches, I think these would be highy watched games. I haven't got to watch much of UNO, but did watch their games against Minnesota. From what I remember they looked really fast, more like a Hockey East team than a WCHA team. I don't remember them being as physical as say the "Sioux" are. They have more penalty minutes, we really need to watch out for those 5 minute majors. I don't think we could kill off 2 of them against UNO like we were able to do with the Badgers.

GO SIOUX!!

Speaking of FSSN, who makes their decisions in cases like Alaska, Duluth, etc. when UND plays there? Are they part of MIDCO, so their brass decides? I know in the past, we've found out only a couple days before hand a few times. Who makes the call, anyway?

Speaking of FSSN, who makes their decisions in cases like Alaska, Duluth, etc. when UND plays there? Are they part of MIDCO, so their brass decides? I know in the past, we've found out only a couple days before hand a few times. Who makes the call, anyway?

Midcontinent only operates in South Dakota, North Dakota and Minnesota, and not all areas of any of them. The decisions on which road games to pick up depend on things like ability to get the signal and costs. A lot of the local broadcasts are sent by hard wire or by relays like the NDSU football games on North Dakota NBC stations. UND games use a satellite to broadcast the signal. If the location of the game doesn't have that technology it either isn't possible or it would cost a lot of money to set up a temporary broadcast. They don't make a huge amount on advertising for each broadcast, so they can't afford to broadcast a lot of road games if the costs are going to be too high. And the rights to broadcast are a separate issue. If someone else is putting the broadcast together they own the rights. Sometimes they don't want to release the rights. It isn't just as simple as saying we want to put the game on the air so let's do it.

I wish I could watch this series on TV......should make for some great hockey both nights. You have your prototypical Blais team against a team that might have found its groove against Bucky. I think the advantage the sioux have is that any one of their four lines can match up with the top line at UNO. I think one thing that hurt UNO against the gophs that allowed the gophs to make that crazy comeback against them was their depth at the end. Blais can say all he wants about having the best conditioned team in the country, but I don't think there is any type of conditioning that can handle four lines rolling all night long.

I'll say a split occurs this weekend. This could be the weekend where Dell has to steal a game for the sioux, anxious to see if he is up to the challenge.