1. 1. Who sits on defense

• Derrick LaPoint
    • Dillion Simpson
    • Joe Gleason
    • Jake Marto
    • Ben Blood
    • Defense by committee play bad you sit
    • None of the above

Don't any of you think that this poll is a little harsh? Imagine if you were a player, or a parent of a player, how you would feel?

This is patty cake peewees where everyone gets equal ice time to be fair and nice. If you aren't happy with your ice time... get better. Plain and simple. We play to win, and if you don't help us win, we don't want you playing. That may sound harsh, but that's the way it is.

• Upvote 1

This is patty cake peewees where everyone gets equal ice time to be fair and nice. If you aren't happy with your ice time... get better. Plain and simple. We play to win, and if you don't help us win, we don't want you playing. That may sound harsh, but that's the way it is.

You play for the team?

• Downvote 2

You play for the team?

I am not on the team or affiliated with the team in any way other than being a fan. I said nothing that they don't already know and fully understand. Fans are just as much a part of the team as anyone else. It's a symbiotic relationship, no fans means no team, no team means no fans. If you're worried about hurting their feelings, I'm sure the scoff at this meaningless poll. This is purely "arm chair quarterback" conjecture. Our opinions mean nothing, it's up to Hak and company to make the decision. They're men, they've dealt with this on every level they've played at for the last 15 years (give or take a few). This is nothing new and if they plan to move on to the NHL it will only get 1000 times worse once they're getting PAID to produce and are not.

What... are you on the team? I'm not thinking so...

Are you sure about how they would feel? Have you talked to anyone on the list as I have today?

Good for you.

I am not on the team or affiliated with the team in any way other than being a fan. I said nothing that they don't already know and fully understand. Fans are just as much a part of the team as anyone else. It's a symbiotic relationship, no fans means no team, no team means no fans. If you're worried about hurting their feelings, I'm sure the scoff at this meaningless poll. This is purely "arm chair quarterback" conjecture. Our opinions mean nothing, it's up to Hak and company to make the decision. They're men, they've dealt with this on every level they've played at for the last 15 years (give or take a few). This is nothing new and if they plan to move on to the NHL it will only get 1000 times worse once they're getting PAID to produce and are not.

What... are you on the team? I'm not thinking so...

Good for you.

If you are not on the team you should not say we. I have always hated how people say we did this or we did that when they did nothing. This is not a shot at you just a comment in general.

• Downvote 2

Don't any of you think that this poll is a little harsh? Imagine if you were a player, or a parent of a player, how you would feel?

This is a legit discussion, the Sioux defense is very deep and you have guys sitting out every week that played 20+ games last season.

I don't think anyone has been MEAN or malicious. You should read what the NHL pundits say about their team's players.

If you are not on the team you should not say we. I have always hated how people say we did this or we did that when they did nothing. This is not a shot at you just a comment in general.

Wut?

I get what you guys are saying, I really do. When you're at a hockey game you don't see yourself as part of the "7th man" or at a football game part of the "12th man?" That's where I'm coming from when I say "we." The team, the fans, the arena, all as one unified force. "We are North Dakota" (offically) but at everyone's heart "We are the Sioux"

• Upvote 1

I'd think that the poll writers and posters are has beens or never could bes, and I am playing D1 hockey, having the time of my life, getting a heavily discounted education, recreating with lovely co-eds, and all in all not giving a flying f about the opinion of someone that is nameless and faceless posting their worthless opinion on a web site for fans.

These guys could care less...if you have that thin a skin as an 18-23 year old big-time college athlete, you've got issues...

It really depends on what their potential is. Just because someone was a first-rounder doesn't mean he's destined to play in the NHL unless he's coached out of it. Sometimes they're drafting mistakes.

Chorney's small by NHL D standards and not a puck wizard; that's not a good combo for being an NHL regular, and there's nothing a program can do about it.

Finley got a lot better in his time at UND (consider where he was his first year and how well he played post-concussion as a senior), but his big limitation is footspeed. Washington took a flyer in a year they had two first-round picks, hoping for the next Chara, but that doesn't mean he didn't develop a lot at UND.

Lee has good hands, feet and size, and if there's one guy who didn't reach his potential here it would be him. Maybe he should have stayed another year. His brother is sure a nice defensive d-man at Denver.

The current group of defensemen has developed nicely. Genoway, LaPoint, Marto and Blood are much better players than when they arrived. It's hard to get a read on Mac and Gleason yet.

I dunno...a first round pick should mean that you've got the potential. I could see if it were one, but not when it is all 3 of our last highly drafted dmen. 3 out of 3 doesn't seem random...sample size is small, but it always will be.

I agree that players get better, but do they get as good as they could be?

• Upvote 1

Sorry, but I don't buy this garbage about comparing the criticism of the NCAA vs. the criticism of the NHL by their respective fanbases.

They're different.

NCAA teams do play to win and wish to be the best in the league, same as the NHL, I agree. However, there are two differences that stand out to me:

1. The NCAA is a developmental league in more ways than the AHL or ECHL (or overseas for that matter). They're job is to make players better. If that means winning it all for their school, great! But their primary mission is to build better athletes and scholars at the same time.

2. The NCAA is an amateur league. The way I see it, if you are paid to play, you are paid to take the criticism, regardless of how harsh it may be. It is a job. The "7th man" as it has been stated, is a supervisor. The team itself is or can be as fluid as the coaching staff and front office allows. If a player "isn't working out" at the NHL level a number of things can happen, from being sent to the minors to being traded or cut outright. The only similarity here is the occasion when a player is asked not to return to the team. Voted off, as Fournier was way back when, as an example. This is a rare occurance. I guess you can call transfers trades but what does the team the player leaves get in return?

No, it isn't pee wees, bantams, squirts, what have you. And there are certainly higher expectations than all previous levels no doubt. However, these guys are amateurs still. And, because of this, they deserve SOME slack.

--------

And then there's the draft position garbage.

Draft position is based upon future potential, not their current talent... unless of course you are drafted in the top 3-5 of the first round. Usually those are expected to be pretty much NHL ready talent. Yes, as first rounders you SHOULD have the POTENTIAL to be a dominant force in the areas the drafting team feels are the players' strengths, but it isn't always manifested the first time you put on the sweater. It sometimes takes 2-3 years for it to become apparent.

Draft position shouldn't mean anything in a collegiate context because it says nothing about the player's current talent. It only relates to the value assessed to the prospect by NHL scouts and teams on NHL potential.

You can call it a "guide" if you wish, but you'll usually end up disappointed, especially in his freshman season, especially if you aren't a forward. All it took was a few rough outings in the freshman season to get all the fans calling Joe Finley and Brian Lee busts. Pro potential isn't our business here at UND. It tells us only that the NHL is interested in this player and feels that he someday could be playing in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

You can dislike it all you want, but it comes with the territory for some people to say "we." I don't think I know a single life-long Packers fan that doesn't refer to the team as "we."

Maybe because we're 12 time world champions. :)

I think people say "we" because they want to belong to something they are not a part of. Something they could never be a part of in reality so they need to grasp onto something bigger than themselves. Now if they were a student than they are part of something as the "we" being a student at the same school and it is their school's team. But when adults try to grap onto a college team and try to become a part of it that is different .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

I think people say "we" because they want to belong to something they are not a part of. Something they could never be a part of in reality so they need to grasp onto something bigger than themselves. Now if they were a student than they are part of something as the "we" being a student at the same school and it is their school's team. But when adults try to grap onto a college team and try to become a part of it that is different .

Holy Cow! Dude come on now! We all like "our" team, I am alum like many others here and its our team. Deal with it, it doesn't matter if we are kids, current students, adults or alum.

• Upvote 2

I have been putting a lot of thought into this. When Andrew MacWilliam and Derek Forbort return to the line up from their illnesses who should sit?

Joe Gleason looked pretty good this past weekend getting two starts on the weekend.

I think Derrick LaPoint has had tough season and was a health scratch in favor of the 17 year old Dillion Simpson. Hakstol has some tough decisions to make soon.

As to the poll, I vote for Genoway. He has the worst stats of all defensemen.

• Downvote 3

IMHO the two freshman can't be taken out of the lineup when healthy as they have earned it, while some of the upperclassm

en have struggled. I see a top 7 as follows:

Mac-Blood

Genoway-Forbort

Marto- Simpson

Gleason and Lapoint out

I want the Mac and Blood combo back and to me Genoway and Forbort together would be a great Combo

As to the poll, I vote for Genoway. He has the worst stats of all defensemen.

I, as most of us, have been closely watching Genoway.

Since the beginning of the season I have been ready to fire-off a post to all who would read it saying that Genoway is not up to snuff If that was the case.

The first couple of weeks of the season I was thinking he might not be in the top six on our team at defense based on what I was seeing.

The last two weekends, especially last weekend against UMD, he has started to really roll.

He is getting into the zone and not turning the puck over and moving with great confidence.

He also has improved his play deep in the defensive zone. I've noticed him skating away from opponents with the puck with impressive success.

I would not factor stats at this point. Watching him would be a better measuring tool to determine how he is playing.

• Upvote 1

I, as most of us, have been closely watching Genoway.

Since the beginning of the season I have been ready to fire-off a post to all who would read it saying that Genoway is not up to snuff If that was the case.

The first couple of weeks of the season I was thinking he might not be in the top six on our team at defense based on what I was seeing.

The last two weekends, especially last weekend against UMD, he has started to really roll.

He is getting into the zone and not turning the puck over and moving with great confidence.

He also has improved his play deep in the defensive zone. I've noticed him skating away from opponents with the puck with impressive success.

I would not factor stats at this point. Watching him would be a better measuring tool to determine how he is playing.

Good point, Chay had his head driven through the glass, he didn't exercise or play for a long time. I think he is now getting up to speed.