SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance Woes

moser53

How can you explain the drop in attendance at UND Football games this year. There was what 6800 at the game today. It looked like there was about half that in there. The same can be said for SU the reports said about 12800 at the Dome. On TV it looked like 8000 in there. And they are in the playoff hunt . It's not the economy all of ND is in good shape. As people have said Grand Forks is a hockey town. The number of Sioux hockey jerseys you see in GF on game day is impressive. Me being a football basketball guy wish there was more support for those sports but what can you do. Better days are ahead let's hope.

Well for us it's obvious:

1) team not doing well

2) hockey weekend (seems to especially be true for students)

3) hunting

#2 is just stupid. There are only so many football games. GO!!!!

#3 i don't think was truly that big of a deal because it looked like more today than last week and MN opener was this week.

How can you explain the drop in attendance at UND Football games this year. There was what 6800 at the game today. It looked like there was about half that in there. The same can be said for SU the reports said about 12800 at the Dome. On TV it looked like 8000 in there. And they are in the playoff hunt . It's not the economy all of ND is in good shape. As people have said Grand Forks is a hockey town. The number of Sioux hockey jerseys you see in GF on game day is impressive. Me being a football basketball guy wish there was more support for those sports but what can you do. Better days are ahead let's hope.

Simple answer; we aren't playing for anything. Once we're in Big Sky and playing the same teams year after year and competing for conference titles and national tournament games, people will come back. What they're asking for tickets to these useless games is absurd. Deer opener and 60 degrees today. Why go watch indoor football that means nothing.

While the point is obviously moot for this season since there are no more home games, it is still worth mentioning: Is there any way to change the camera angle from facing the visitors' bench to facing the home bench? It is nothing short of embarassing to have the camera facing an entire side of the field that is virtually empty. Yes it absolutely is a cheap ploy to cover up the reality of the situation, but seeing the stands that empty gives a bush league quality to the program that serves neither the program, the network, nor the sponsors.

Well for us it's obvious:

1) team not doing well

2) hockey weekend (seems to especially be true for students)

3) hunting

#2 is just stupid. There are only so many football games. GO!!!!

#3 i don't think was truly that big of a deal because it looked like more today than last week and MN opener was this week.

drop the prices as well. Try sell out the place. Not sure what they went for todays game but the potato bowl was like $19 a ticket. Once it reaches competitive levels again increase the prices...

• Upvote 1

I talked to some people during tailgating about the lack of attendance. They said that the students don't come when the team is not playing well. There is nothing for them to get excited about. Fair weather/Bandwagon, whatever you want to call it.

The Bison are still in the running for a playoff spot and the student attendance was pathetic in Fargo. I just think students don't support athletic teams like they did back when I was in undergrad school. (Geez, I sound like an old bastard when I say that). Back when I lived in the dorms, no one would ever miss a home FB game. It was the thing to do on a Saturday afternoon......it seems that it isn't "the thing" to do anymore...... :(

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While the point is obviously moot for this season since there are no more home games, it is still worth mentioning: Is there any way to change the camera angle from facing the visitors' bench to facing the home bench? It is nothing short of embarassing to have the camera facing an entire side of the field that is virtually empty. Yes it absolutely is a cheap ploy to cover up the reality of the situation, but seeing the stands that empty gives a bush league quality to the program that serves neither the program, the network, nor the sponsors.

Your right an empty stadium looks awful on TV

The Bison are still in the running for a playoff spot and the student attendance was pathetic in Fargo. I just think students don't support athletic teams like they did back when I was in undergrad school. (Geez, I sound like an old bastard when I say that). Back when I lived in the dorms, no one would ever miss a home FB game. It was the thing to do on a Saturday afternoon......it seems that it isn't "the thing" to do anymore...... :(

What is "the thing" to do? Man, when I was in college, football hockey, and even basketball were must sees. Now, not so much....well, we still have a full student section for hockey. I also sound like an old bastard I guess. It is a little worrysome that the Bison students dont' show when they are in a conference and battling for a playoff spot. I hope our students show when UND is in the same situation in a few years.

What is "the thing" to do? Man, when I was in college, football hockey, and even basketball were must sees. Now, not so much....well, we still have a full student section for hockey. I also sound like an old bastard I guess. It is a little worrysome that the Bison students dont' show when they are in a conference and battling for a playoff spot. I hope our students show when UND is in the same situation in a few years.

I don't know what "the thing" . My daughter at Wyoming is a senior this year and I am embarassed to say that she has never, I repeat never, attended a basketball game. So, I am a parent of one of these college students and I have not clue one what in life has replaced going to games.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know what "the thing" . My daughter at Wyoming is a senior this year and I am embarassed to say that she has never, I repeat never, attended a basketball game. So, I am a parent of one of these college students and I have not clue one what in life has replaced going to games.

I have a guess.

I don't think cost of the ticket is factor. You could decrease tickets to $10 and I don't think it would make much difference in attendance.

There are probably many reasons for decreased attendance, as others have pointed out. My two cents is that Homecoming does well and Potato Bowl generally does okay. For any other game, you need a true rivalry game or a "name brand" opponent or people don't care.

This was my first football game since I graduated spring of '07. My dad went to UC-Davis so we try to make it to the game every year. After going to Davis the past couple years I was excited to head back to GF and show Dad how we did it up at UND. To say the least i was extremely disappointed. The student section was non-existent. I remember fighting for a good seat half-hour before the game back in 2003-06 as student. I remember a deafening crowd, especially on third down. I was looking at the championship banners hanging from the ceiling and remembering how we were at least co-champs of the NCC 3 out of 4 years I was at school. To see what home games have come to just three years after leaving is a bit of a disappointment. I still follow Sioux football from home, watch most home games on FCS when I can so I was aware of the attendance problems we were having. Its just another thing to experience it first hand when all you can remember is the exact opposite. As other posters have said hopefully our new conference and opportunities will get this program back towards the top where it has stood for so long.

All this said, it was still a blast being back in the Alerus center watching the team play. I was glad to make it back to see what will most likely be the last home football game for the Fighting Sioux. No matter what happens in the future....GOD BLESS THE FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

I've brought this up several times before, but in 2008 we had probably the worst home schedule ever, and also the best per-game attendance average ever. People showed up presumably because of the momentum which had been built up over the previous 15-20 years. Fans were used to seeing a winner, and were willing to show up notwithstanding the extremely unattractive schedule. Now, the momentum has been lost, and I'm not convinced that a better schedule alone will make people come back. It may very well take a win or two similar to the UNI win in 2006 to generate a buzz again. And of course, that's easier said than done.

I've brought this up several times before, but in 2008 we had probably the worst home schedule ever, and also the best per-game attendance average ever. People showed up presumably because of the momentum which had been built up over the previous 15-20 years. Fans were used to seeing a winner, and were willing to show up notwithstanding the extremely unattractive schedule. Now, the momentum has been lost, and I'm not convinced that a better schedule alone will make people come back. It may very well take a win or two similar to the UNI win in 2006 to generate a buzz again. And of course, that's easier said than done.

I also think that traditional UND has been able to have early home games. In DII we would pay teams to come and play in grand forks early in the season. Now we are going on the road for money games. In the Dakota's september games draw significantly more...too many conflicts later in the season....harvest, hunting, hockey (in UND's case), weather (even in UND and USD case, some people want a nice day to tailgate to go to the game). The answer to the attendence woes....3 home games before the 1st of October.

Simple answer; we aren't playing for anything. Once we're in Big Sky and playing the same teams year after year and competing for conference titles and national tournament games, people will come back. What they're asking for tickets to these useless games is absurd. Deer opener and 60 degrees today. Why go watch indoor football that means nothing.

i wish the 'BigSky' answer was a guarantee...but...look at the attendence numbers for the Big Sky teams not in Montana. Lots of 5-7K crowds, even at schools like EWU and NAU who are doing well. Attendence at Davis this year has been bad; combination of weather, poor record, competition with the World Series and less than exciting opponents. I'm hoping the BigSky and better records will get us back in the 9000-10000 range EVERY game; we'll see. the allure of the new stadium is wearing off on some of our seasoned alums, and they have been staying away all year (even homecoming).

These are the regular season attendance averages since 2006:

2006 9,578

2007 10,790

2008 10,167

2009 8,539

2010 8,154

That 2,000 drop from 2008-2010 is what catches my attention. That is a huge dropoff, what about 20%?. It's very difficult to move a season average by that much. If anyone has the time, I'd be interested to see if any of the other sports' avg attendance moved in either direction by that much, even from a historical perspective. Before I even see the data, I am gonna make an educated guess that the football fans in GF are particualarly fickle. Or, maybe it is the Alums in Fargo that just aren't driving up when the team isn't good?