Attendance Woes

moser53

These are the regular season attendance averages since 2006:

2006 9,578

2007 10,790

2008 10,167

2009 8,539

2010 8,154

The dropoff also corresponds to FCS telecasts. Although scheduling the Sioux Falls and the loss took a lot of wind out of the sails.

Football really only should be scheduled on weekends without men's hockey, unless a near-capacity crowd is a foregone conclusion (Montana, Montana St).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The dropoff also corresponds to FCS telecasts. Although scheduling the Sioux Falls and the loss took a lot of wind out of the sails.

Football really only should be scheduled on weekends without men's hockey, unless a near-capacity crowd is a foregone conclusion (Montana, Montana St).

Weston Dressler and Ryan Chappel were pretty exciting to watch a couple of years back.

• Upvote 1

That 2,000 drop from 2008-2010 is what catches my attention. That is a huge dropoff, what about 20%?. It's very difficult to move a season average by that much. If anyone has the time, I'd be interested to see if any of the other sports' avg attendance moved in either direction by that much, even from a historical perspective. Before I even see the data, I am gonna make an educated guess that the football fans in GF are particualarly fickle. Or, maybe it is the Alums in Fargo that just aren't driving up when the team isn't good?

I would guess that a significant portion of that drop is from students. For several years the student section would be rather full at the beginning of just about every game. A lot of them wouldn't return after halftime, especially if the game wasn't going to be close. The last 2 years the student section has been almost empty for multiple games. The last 2 weeks there has probably been less than 100 students in the student section (not counting the band). So approximately 1/2 of that drop may be attributed to students.

2006 9,578

2007 10,790

2008 10,167

2009 8,539

2010 8,154

2008-first year in the FCS new teams

2009,2010 probably 2011...nothing to play for but a GWFC title. Wait until 2012 to talk attendance woes.

2008-first year in the FCS new teams

2009,2010 probably 2011...nothing to play for but a GWFC title. Wait until 2012 to talk attendance woes.

But is the damage done?

Students don't tend to be as informed about rivals and conferences. They have a herd mentality. Hype helps but so does the tradition of it being the thing to do like hockey games are.

Probably just seeing a return to what Sioux football historically averages now that the newness of the Alerus has worn off and we haven't been winning as many games like earlier this decade.

We still will be like what? 4-5th in Attendance average in the new Big Sky already? Well maybe not this year. But with quality teams coming in and rivalries being built. We will have nice size crowds at the Alerus.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So far this season we would be 4th in the Big Sky in attendance average even with our "Woes." This even includes Cal Poly and UC Davis.

UND would be behind Montana, Montana State, Northern Az (8,765) , and Eastern Washington (8,774).

UND (8,154) could easily be third in a few years once the Montana schools start traveling to Grand Forks.

I'm not seeing the "woe." UND will average 8,000-11,000 every year while playing in the Alerus Center.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Before the Alerus:

1998: 7,692

1999: 7,813

2000: 8,658

I think its more the % capacity than numbers. These numbers at Memorial Stadium have a 10,000 capacity compared to what 13,500 at the Alerus. The bigger the capacity % the more it looks full.

2010 60.4% full

2000 86.6 % full

2006 9,578

2007 10,790

2008 10,167

2009 8,539

2010 8,154

I didn't miss a home game from 2006-2009 while I was a student there. At the start, the students definitely showed up and because we were so far ahead by halftime, a good number started leaving. Towards the end of 2008 and all of 2009 there were barely students showing up for the games.

Also, these numbers look a lot like they are tickets sold, and not the number of people that are at the game.

So far this season we would be 4th in the Big Sky in attendance average even with our "Woes." This even includes Cal Poly and UC Davis.

UND would be behind Montana, Montana State, Northern Az (8,765) , and Eastern Washington (8,774).

UND (8,154) could easily be third in a few years once the Montana schools start traveling to Grand Forks.

I'm not seeing the "woe." UND will average 8,000-11,000 every year while playing in the Alerus Center.

A 20% drop in attendance for any of UND's athletic teams is a reason for concern.

I didn't miss a home game from 2006-2009 while I was a student there. At the start, the students definitely showed up and because we were so far ahead by halftime, a good number started leaving. Towards the end of 2008 and all of 2009 there were barely students showing up for the games.

Also, these numbers look a lot like they are tickets sold, and not the number of people that are at the game.

Your comments about the students are basically what I've said several times when this topic has come up. And almost all attendance numbers for all athletic events reflect the number of tickets sold instead of bodies in the building. Tickets sold is the important number because it reflects revenue for the program.

I think its more the % capacity than numbers. These numbers at Memorial Stadium have a 10,000 capacity compared to what 13,500 at the Alerus. The bigger the capacity % the more it looks full.

2010 60.4% full

2000 86.6 % full

You mean 12,283 for the Alerus?

What is "it"? No I am pretty sure "it" isn't about percent capacity, pretty sure this topic was started about the number of people attending Sioux football games.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not really. Especially when it was a 20% increase from previous years.

It's just leveling itself out. Self Correcting. It will always fluctuate like the stock market.

I would argue the baseline has changed further up the axis. Think of it this way: I wouldn't accept a "self correction" of hockey attendance to the pre Ralph levels, and nor do I for football.

You mean 12,283 for the Alerus?

What is "it"? No I am pretty sure "it" isn't about percent capacity, pretty sure this topic was started about the number of people attending Sioux football games.

I have heard both the 12,283 and 13,500 number. I think the 12,283 is without the suites and the SRO (the areas behind the end zones) and the 13,500 includes the suites/SRO.

Your comments about the students are basically what I've said several times when this topic has come up. And almost all attendance numbers for all athletic events reflect the number of tickets sold instead of bodies in the building. Tickets sold is the important number because it reflects revenue for the program.

Yes, but unless attendance starts going back up, ticket sales will drop even more. It takes people going to the game to make others want to keep going.

But it also takes a good product on the field to keep expectations up.

Yes, but unless attendance starts going back up, ticket sales will drop even more. It takes people going to the game to make others want to keep going.

But it also takes a good product on the field to keep expectations up.

I disagree to some extent. Winning is a much bigger factor. Win and they shall come. Loyalty is another large factor. I will keep my season tickets for the long term, no matter how they do on the field. I don't care how many other people show up. But there is a segment of the population that feel as you do. Many of those are bandwagon or front runner types. Some of them are just there to be seen (a complaint often heard about the Ralph). But you're right, some people will stop going if they don't think it is "the place to be".

I disagree to some extent. Winning is a much bigger factor. Win and they shall come. Loyalty is another large factor. I will keep my season tickets for the long term, no matter how they do on the field. I don't care how many other people show up. But there is a segment of the population that feel as you do. Many of those are bandwagon or front runner types. Some of them are just there to be seen (a complaint often heard about the Ralph). But you're right, some people will stop going if they don't think it is "the place to be".

I agree with you for the most part. Season ticket holders and the more adult crowd will keep going to the games.

From a student's viewpoint though, they do care how many people show up. When they do show up, they bring energy and excitement into the Alerus that makes it a fun place to be. But yes, a lot of them are bandwagon fans haha

I agree with you for the most part. Season ticket holders and the more adult crowd will keep going to the games.

From a student's viewpoint though, they do care how many people show up. When they do show up, they bring energy and excitement into the Alerus that makes it a fun place to be. But yes, a lot of them are bandwagon fans haha

Very few of the students have shown up for the last couple of games. They will probably show up in pretty good numbers for Potato Bowl and Homecoming most years. Other games will be up and down depending on the year. I agree that they bring energy and excitement to the games and I wish they would show up more often.

I have heard both the 12,283 and 13,500 number. I think the 12,283 is without the suites and the SRO (the areas behind the end zones) and the 13,500 includes the suites/SRO.

13,500 is what wikipedia and Aleruscenter.com has

http://www.aleruscenter.com/?page=building

SEATING

Full Arena Set - 21,000

Half Arena Set - 11,000

Theater Set - 4,600

Football - 13,500

Basketball - 9,500

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alerus_Center

Capacity

Concerts (full-house set): 21,000

Concerts (half-house set): 11,000

Theater: 4,600

Football: 13,500

Basketball: 9,500

You could be right the 13,500 could be suites and standing room. But you don't generally include standing room in capacity. Plus that number if obviously vague and rounded nicely. :silly:

12,283 (notice its an exact number) is listed on fightingsioux.com and even this website. Much better sources. ;)

Its a little strange we even have to "wonder" what the real number is and what it includes how hard is it for them to come out and tell us.

You could be right the 13,500 could be suites and standing room. But you don't generally include standing room in capacity. Plus that number if obviously vague and rounded nicely. :silly:

12,283 (notice its an exact number) is listed on fightingsioux.com and even this website. Much better sources. ;)

Its a little strange we even have to "wonder" what the real number is and what it includes how hard is it for them to come out and tell us.

2 years from now that number will be exactly 15,000. :lol: