SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus vs FargoDome football atmospheres

star2city

These quotes in today’s Forum from McFeely,

It was a fine Saturday afternoon crowd at the Fargodome. Intimate, quiet, polite. Perfect for, say, the Moscow Ballet’s presentation of “The Great Russian Nutcracker.”  Problem is, the 9,010 half-interested souls who half-filled the dome were there to watch football.
and Kolpack,

The 9,010 fans at the Fargodome Saturday afternoon were a bit on the quiet side. No matter. Quarterback Tony Stauss spoke for them.

beg me to ask this question: Why is there such a difference in crowd’s behavior between the Alerus Center and the FargoDome and why is the Alerus considered the most difficult place to play in the NCC, while the FargoDome has a reputation bordering on a masoleum? With three last-second wins in the Alerus, it might a major reason for this years NCC championship. I recognize that sometimes that the Alerus is not booming with excitement throughout the games. Since I live out of the area, I generally only get to see any type of Sioux game once or twice a year. But last year, when the Sioux were losing the close games, the noise level and fan support against St. Cloud was still impressive at times. During last year’s final game with USD, there seemed to a lot of enthusiasm for the shutout in spite of a relatively small crowd. What are the reasons for the difference?

Is it any or all of these: Fighting Sioux winning, the Alerus being ‘new’, UND fans less likely to be bandwagon fans, UND football success does ‘not’ define UND athletic success, a more college/less commercial atmosphere, student interaction, 3 wins in row against the Bison (and last 10 of 13), Alerus’ lighting and acoustics, tailgating and beer garden at Alerus, high respect for coaches running the program, number of local players and local coaches, the 2001 Championship, my imagination, or is it something else?

Just curious what others think. More importantly, how can a FargoDome atmosphere be prevented at the Alerus and how can the Alerus atmosphere be made even better?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't there, but I heard the atmosphere at the Alerus was pretty dead for the UND-UNO game. From the TV shots, there also appeared to be quite a few empty seats. Considering what was at stake on Saturday, that's disappointing.

I don't know if I'd say the al is the toughest place to play, BUT when the fans cheer it leads to alot of false starts for the other team.

I don't think there is that much of a difference in the fans. However there is a big difference in the the stadiums. The obvious big difference in stadiums is the size. The al is smaller than the fargodome and has a lower ceiling. Plus the walls are sheet metal. This just helps to reverberate the sound. The fargodome on the other hand is like a black hole for sound.

I'm not sure if the fargodome has been selling out, but it takes alot of screaming fans to make that place loud.

I would say the UND program winning (how loud were the last couple of home games last year?), the acoustics of the Alerus, lower ceiling, smaller volume, alchohol availability, and definitely the "newness" of the Alerus.

I'm not sure "newness" has a lot to do with it. There are many sioux fans who would rather be outside. My friends and I didn't go to see the arena. Personally I don't think it's that special. Sure we probably get more fans, but its like with the REA; the new fans don't necessarily know they are supposed to cheer.

I wasn't there, but I heard the atmosphere at the Alerus was pretty dead for the UND-UNO game. From the TV shots, there also appeared to be quite a few empty seats. Considering what was at stake on Saturday, that's disappointing.

I'm surprised that the Fighting Sioux Sports Network televised this game (and the St. Cloud game) locally. Clearly, it doesn't help ticket sales. It would be nice if a road game were televised for a change, but I doubt we'll see that anytime soon.

UND vs. Augustana was maybe the worst game I have ever attended at the Alerus and the game on saturday vs. UNO wasn't much better.

I don't think the Alerus Center is the "toughest place to play in the NCC", nor do I think that the Fargodome is either. They are both tough places to play and we can leave it at that.

There is no doubt the Alerus is one of the toughest places to play in the NCC. Week after week we hear other teams coaches prepairing for the noise levels. And we all know that domes are generally louder than outdoor stadiums. I personally can't think of as a tougher place to play in the NCC.

Please tell me you're kidding. Football is meant to be played outside on real grass. The Fargodome and Alerus Center both suck. Memorial Stadium is the best place to play football in the entire state. I hate dome stadiums and artificial turf.

The last time I checked, memorial stadium was an outdoor stadium with artificial turf.

I have some great memories of watching games at Memorial, but I also remember pivotal late-season and even playoff games where the crowd was about 2,000 or less because of the weather, slippery artificial turf after a snowfall and prior to that, completely torn-up natural turf, antiquated rest rooms and uncomfortable metal or wood bench seats. I would agree that in most parts of the country, outdoor football on natural grass is the only way to go. But here, it's awfully tough to play outdoors much after mid-to-late October if you want to play in front of a decent-sized crowd. The Alerus has its flaws, too. But by most accounts, it has helped in recruiting and it has definitely helped with the size of the crowds-- especially during cold weather.

If it's a nice sunny day out with no wind...sure...i'll sit outside and watch...but only if it's not TOO hot. Also, either way you look at it feildturf, sprinturf, nexturf, or whatever you want to call it....it's *better* than grass in every way. Once we get every school to use this stuff we can level the playing field (literally) around the country. No more frozen tundra or mud bowls. Grass is on it's last legs (and rightly so).

It's simple math: 9534 in a 13500 seat arena will be louder than 9010 in a 19000+ seat arena.

The crowd at the UNO game was pretty mellow. I think everyone was on a post-Halloween-candy-sugar-high crash. The crowd only came alive at the very end.

I wasn't surprised to read similar "dead crowd" reports from the Bison game in the Forum.

I think that an indoor arena seems to quiet a lot of the enthusiasm during a football game. Compare the Metrodome to Met Stadium, Dakotah Field to the Fargodome....or Memorial Stadium to the Alerus. Even though it gets cold in ND, football is still an outside game. I also think that the tailgating fight in Fargo is not helping with crowd enthusiasm either. I recently visited with some friends that work at NDSU and they said students are pissed off at the city about the tailgating issue. In the end, it is a bunch of rowdy students that really help make the football atmosphere. Both schools need to do all they can to get those student in the seats.

I expected a downward turn in NDSU attendance, but a crowd of 9,000 after three straight 14,000+ games was pretty disappointing. As far as AUGIE being UND's second highest attendance, well the game was early in the year and many people went to Grand Forks and saw a big tin building, assumed it was a Sam's Club, and went inside to do some "Back to School Shopping" and ended up watching a Sioux football game.

I expected a downward turn in NDSU attendance, but a crowd of 9,000 after three straight 14,000+ games was pretty disappointing. As far as AUGIE being UND's second highest attendance, well the game was early in the year and many people went to Grand Forks and saw a big tin building, assumed it was a Sam's Club, and went inside to do some "Back to School Shopping" and ended up watching a Sioux football game.

People just show up for the last quarter of the UND games, because thats when they pull out their miracles. Why would you go to the first part of the game and get your hopes down.....please..... :D

I hear this same debate on the hockey board.

The question I have is this: Why do we, as students, care about the attendence of the general public to our sporting events? The vast majority of them (more so with hockey than football, I admit) are just lumps that occupy the seats.

I say that as long as there is a good turnout of students at any of ND's facilities, that's all that matters. After all, who is going to argue that the public likes to get out of their seats for anything other than a touchdown or goal anyways?

The prevailing attitude as displayed by their actions at games is thus: Leave the cheering to the real fans of the sport: the students. We just want to sit in a plastic seat that cost $18-$30 a game so we don't have to watch it on our puny 19" Daewoo TV.

I hope a lot of NDSU students turn out to NDSU games just like I hope the same for UND students. A full student section is worth more to me than a full General public section.

Boy, do I get tired of this same line of BS every time there is talk of fans, especailly at Sioux hockey games. Redwing, I attended games in the "Barn" with no heat and wooden bleachers, in the Winter Sports Center and now in the Ralph Engelstad Arena. I have cheered for Sioux teams when students never attended games, when the team went through the Rube Bjorkman era and the student section was all but empty and then had to scuffle for seats when students "rediscoverd" hockey (when they started winning). I will be there when Sioux hockey is a "remember when" to you, so let's cut the BS and show some respect for ALL the fans who attend games.