SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus vs FargoDome football atmospheres

star2city

I love outdoor football and outdoor sports in general. Twins and Vikings games are fun, but anytime I get a chance to catch the Rockies or Broncos, I take it.

A couple thousand people filling the stands in memorial stadium in late october and early november just doesn't cut it anymore, financially speaking. As we have discussed in earlier threads, it is all about the money. I miss memorial stadium, but after a few years of the alerus center, I have begun to adapt and just face the reality that football will not be played outdoors here in grand forks maybe ever again.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I stepped outside of the Alerus Center after the game this past Saturday to discover that it had started snowing at some point during the game, I immediately thought what a shame it is that the game wasn't played outside at Memorial Stadium. Those games where the weather becomes a factor are the kind of games that you'll still be talking about 20 years later. Who can ever forget the 1984 Sioux/Bison game? How wimpy are people if they can't sit outside in November? It doesn't even get all that cold until December and January, long after the Sioux football season is over. I don't see what's so bad about sitting at Memorial Stadium for three hours when it's 30 to 40 degrees above zero. Put on three sweatshirts and a winter coat, bring a blanket to sit on, and drink lots of hot chocolate. That was a great tradition at Memorial Stadium that has been ruined now. Every time I drive by that place it almost brings me to tears knowing that a great thing has been laid to rest. I really miss spending my Saturday afternoons there. I still love Sioux football and always will, but I hate the Alerus Center with a passion. I hate indoor football period.

I never missed a home game because of the weather, and I kind of enjoyed watching some of the opposing teams struggle with the cold and wind. But I also realize that no matter what we say, most people are going to stay away if the temps are in the 20's or 30's, and especially if the wind is blowing and it's raining or snowing. Remember the playoff game against Mankato back in '93? It was great for those of us who were there, but there weren't too many of us. And I think the players deserve to be playing in big games in front of decent-sized crowds. The only way to ensure that is to be playing indoors. Given a choice between disappointing some of the hard-core fans who may not necessarily like indoor football but who will still attend the games anyway, or turning off the masses who won't attend games if it's cold, there isn't much question which of the two alternatives an athletic department is going to choose.

Given a choice between disappointing some of the hard-core fans who may not necessarily like indoor football but who will still attend the games anyway, or turning off the masses who won't attend games if it's cold, there isn't much question which of the two alternatives an athletic department is going to choose.

That is what I was trying to say, but couldn't quite get it out as eloquently as you did.

I see what you're saying Dave and i agree that not only have domes been replaced in the past but they are also being replaced now and in the future. I have a possible reason for this.

I would consider you (and alot of people who post on this and Bisonville) to be hardcore fans. You like to yell loudly for your team, watch the game outdoors even in unhealthy temps, etc. You have to understand that not everyone is like this. In fact, i think the percentage of people who are hardcore fans like this is fairly constant throughout football. In other words, whatever percentage this happens to be of hardcore fans out of total fans is the same from the pros to college.

Here is where the difference comes in. Pro teams such as Seattle, Detroit, and Green Bay have VASTLY huge fan bases. And thats why even when it gets to the coldest games, they still have enough hardcore fans left willing to go to the game to sell it out. UND and NDSU don't have this type of base. When they had their outdoor stadiums (as was posted earlier) sometimes only 2000 people showed up.

Having an indoor stadium allows every fan to still come to game an watch.

Thus, I don't think it's fair to the average fan to have an outdoor stadium because if we want to come watch...well forget it! So that's why if it came to a vote i would definately vote no against an outdoor stadium.

Of course there is always a compromise (retractable roof stadium). But at this level i doubt that NDSU or UND could afford one of those without a large contribution.

Lastly, i just wanted to point out that Seattle is actually in a very fair-weather climate. The average jan. temps for them are compairable to Kansas City. Of course, Green Bay and Detroit are very cold in jan which either means that their fan bases are much large (could be true as they are much older franchises and are in a more populated areas of the US) which would mean more hardcore fans, their hardcore fan % is higher than in seattle (also could be very true since those people are likely to be used to cold weather), or both.

Outdoor football is not the old way of life. That's what they thought 25 years ago, but now Seattle and Detroit have replaced their domes and Minnesota wants out of theirs too. Indoor football is a thing of the past. Throughout the '80s and '90s people slowly but surely started to realize that the game is meant to be played outside. That's why dome stadiums are going the way of the dinosaur.

DaveK- FYI Detroit's Ford Field is a Dome. You can't compare Seatles climate to ours, however thier new stadium has a roof over 70% of the seats. Arizona is building a new indoor stadium. Houston just moved into a new indoor stadium last year. I would bet all the money in the world that if the Vikings build a new stadium it will have a roof. Too much money in concerts, hosting final fours, and Super Bowls. I would say that indoor stadiums are very much in vouge. :)

I will admit that I loved going to games at Dakota Field and would wish I could someday take my son to a football game and let him play pick up games in the NW corner of Dakota Field. However I wouldn't give the Fargodome back, as it has had a huge economic impact on the Fargo-Moorhead community. :D

You don't have to tell me about fans in Green Bay. My wife and I visited some friends in the upper peninsula of Michigan for Thanksgiving last year. On the way back home (Ames, IA) we ran into stand-still traffic about 45 miles north of Green Bay at 9:30 in the morning. Unbelievable.

Also, NDSU did lose playoff games at Dacotah Field. We lost the last game played there to Pitt State in the 92 playoffs when Mark Hansen was stopped a foot short of the goal line on a two-point conversion that would have won it.

As a SCSU fan that has been to both the Alerus and the Fargodome. i find the Alerus to have much louder fans and has MUCH better lighting. The Fargodome is very nice but it is dark and dirty looking. The colors are depressing. Alerus is bright and exciting and the fans are very loud. UND is the hardest place to win int eh NCC (probably far superior to most D-IAA stadiums to) Just an outsiders opinion.

As far as outsoor/indoor football. in our region indoor is the way to go. People at the U want an outdoor stadium again but i can remember VERY small crowds when the weather got cold.

The vikes need a retractable roof stadium. The metrodome offers some serious home field advantage, but it is a very generic place and doesn't have much to offer for the average fan.

What types of things does the average fan need?

Just curious, I was at the game Sunday night and was thinking, why do the Vikings want a new stadium. It is great for home field advantage. They have the party going outside prior to the game.

The Alerus is probably the right size for the current UND football following and creates a great home field advantage. The Fargodome was built for the future. With the population growth in the Fargo Metro area and the move to Divison I, there is room for the growth.

What types of things does the average fan need?

Just curious, I was at the game Sunday night and was thinking, why do the Vikings want a new stadium. It is great for home field advantage. They have the party going outside prior to the game.

The Alerus is probably the right size for the current UND football following and creates a great home field advantage. The Fargodome was built for the future. With the population growth in the Fargo Metro area and the move to Divison I, there is room for the growth.

I mentioned that the metrodome gives the vikes a lot of advantage over visitng opponents. I just have been spoiled by visiting a lot of newer football and baseball stadiums across the country. The metrodome is probably the most boring place to watch baseball, especially during the regular season, their concourse sucks. they could probably have a bigger football stadium and still fill it to capactiy also. I don't know, my feelings are still mixed.