SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus vs FargoDome football atmospheres

star2city

Boy, do I get tired of this same line of BS every time there is talk of fans, especailly at Sioux hockey games.  Redwing, I attended games in the "Barn" with no heat and wooden bleachers, in the Winter Sports Center and now in the Ralph Engelstad Arena.  I have cheered for Sioux teams when students never attended games, when the team went through the Rube Bjorkman era and the student section was all but empty and then had to scuffle for seats when students "rediscoverd" hockey (when they started winning).  I will be there when Sioux hockey is a "remember when" to you, so let's cut the BS and show some respect for ALL the fans who attend games.

i agree, but I also remember the early 90's when Greg Johnson was playing in front of 2,500 fans in the old ralph. I don't think students are the only fair-weather fans we have in in gf.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question I have is this: Why do we, as students, care about the attendence of the general public to our sporting events?
Well, I'll bite. I would think the students would want general public attendance because it brings revenue into the athletic department which helps fund, in great part, the sports. That means less of a burden on the students to fund these activities themselves through student fees.

In addition, athletics is what is the lightning rod for a large portion of the alumni. It brings them back to campus and keeps them interested in their alma mater. Generally, that interest translates into giving and giving helps the students.

Are you in the midst of exams? The student section was half full at the UNO game, easily the worst student turnout of the season. The student turnout at the Bison game was equally poor and I think exams was given as the primary reason. I can understand that.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but the student section sure seemed pretty full for the Bison game and loud and everything else. The UNO game, I don't know cause I was out of town. :D Also exams is no excuse for missing a game. THey are on firday and saturday night, there are no tests then and plenty of time to study at other times. :)

My apologies. I guess I was out of line. I do care really if the general public comes to games. I never want to see an empty arena or stadium. But let's face it, when do they cheer?

I don't ask that they stand up and raise a rauckus like the students. They don't even have to chant. They just have to look alive that's all. Cheer for the Sioux even when they haven't scored a goal.

It was a bad generalization that I made and I apologize. I do know that there are some great great general public fans of our sports.

If it's a nice sunny day out with no wind...sure...i'll sit outside and watch...but only if it's not TOO hot. Also, either way you look at it feildturf, sprinturf, nexturf, or whatever you want to call it....it's *better* than grass in every way. Once we get every school to use this stuff we can level the playing field (literally) around the country. No more frozen tundra or mud bowls. Grass is on it's last legs (and rightly so).

Whoa! Lets not jump the gun on turf being better. Way too many injuries happen because of turf. Not only is it hard when you fall on it (yes when it's winter grass is hard as well), but it rips your skin off. Plus, every season you see someone go down with a ligament or tendon tear because their foot was basically caught in the turf. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that the old turf at memorial would freeze up.

Turf is improving, but the new stuff is slicker than grass. With good drainage, a grass field has to be the safer way to go.

For the most part it just depends what type of offense do you have as to turf or grass being better.

There is no doubt the Alerus is one of the toughest places to play in the NCC. Week after week we hear other teams coaches prepairing for the noise levels. And we all know that domes are generally louder than outdoor stadiums. I personally can't think of as a tougher place to play in the NCC.

Pat Behrns would probably agree with the above statements, considering he has referred to the FargoDome as a 'quiet barn.' Here's what Pat said to the UNO student newspaper in an article about Omaha's support of UNO vs. UNL and Creighton::

"[it will be]Wild. The place will be full, it'll be on TV, it'll be great," Behrns said of the atmosphere in Grand Forks, N.D. "Sometimes our people around here don't recognize what we go into, I wished we could get that around here. It would be nice, but I don't know that we ever will. It's neat."

But if the Saturday's game was dead except at the conclusion, Behrns may have been diappointed.

The first round of playoffs is Saturday , Nov 22nd. Mannheim Steamroller is scheduled for the Alerus on Nov 21st. Will this create a conflict? I seem to remember that the Fargodome/NDSU lost an opportunity to host a playoff game in the mid-90's when another event was scheduled for the previous day. The visiting team was supposed to get practice time in the Fargodome on the Friday before and couldn't, so the Fargodome did not host. Is this correct? Would the Alerus' commitment on Friday night cause a problem or is the field conversion so quick?

I got the opportunity last year to go to Omaha. What a beautiful stadium. They have a rebuilt all brick campus. There are huge long needle pine trees all over campus. The stadium itself is a horseshoe and the open end looks into the pines. We played them on a perfect Saturday afternoon last year and ...more Sioux fans were there than UNO fans.

I asked a few people and they said that everyone in Nebraska is a cornhushker fan and that is why they lack the support. It seems like you could support two teams when they are in different classifications. I don't know if they always draw so few fans, but what a shame. They've had very good teams for some time now.

Maybe UND and NDSU fans and teams are just spoiled with the support.

Though I do agree that we should be able to fill stadiums and cheer loudly.

Whoa! Lets not jump the gun on turf being better. Way too many injuries happen because of turf. Not only is it hard when you fall on it (yes when it's winter grass is hard as well), but it rips your skin off. Plus, every season you see someone go down with a ligament or tendon tear because their foot was basically caught in the turf. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that the old turf at memorial would freeze up.

Turf is improving, but the new stuff is slicker than grass. With good drainage, a grass field has to be the safer way to go.

For the most part it just depends what type of offense do you have as to turf or grass being better.

How is plastic slicker when it's indoors? You need a lubricant (water) to make something slick.

Also, the new turf styles drain *better* than grass...so there goes that argument.

Bisonguy - obviously you're not including the full quote...just the part that serves you. What they say is that while grass WAS the best surface...they've made something that is *better* than grass.

This is the attendance rankings from Sioux Illustrated:

1 in mens hockey

3 in womens hockey, mens bball, womens bball

5 in football

10 in volleyball

Kudos to UND sports fans and I'm sure NDSU is similar. BUT being ranked this high in attendance (when actually very few fans are showing up) is kind of scary for some of these sports.

How is plastic slicker when it's indoors? You need a lubricant (water) to make something slick.

Also, the new turf styles drain *better* than grass...so there goes that argument.

I was thinking of the outdoors as far as slicker. I was remembering the Vikings and Bears sliding all over when they played in Champaign last year. Though I don't think it had rained recently.

My point isn't about slickness, it's about injuries. Far more season ending injuries happen on turf. The field stuff is only a few years old, so we'll see how it works out. A lot of teams are moving to it. I guess most would agree it's a nicer fix, because grass does take time and care. I still think something better could be found.

This is the attendance rankings from Sioux Illustrated:

1 in mens hockey

3 in womens hockey, mens bball, womens bball

5 in football

10 in volleyball

Kudos to UND sports fans and I'm sure NDSU is similar.  BUT being ranked this high in attendance (when actually very few fans are showing up) is kind of scary for some of these sports.

Seeing as how most of those are last year's stats, I'll post NDSU's

football #2 (might be #1 this year)

women's Vball #5

men's Bball #7

women's Bball #1

softball #2

baseball #7

How is plastic slicker when it's indoors? You need a lubricant (water) to make something slick

Teflon?

The first round of playoffs is Saturday , Nov 22nd. Mannheim Steamroller is scheduled for the Alerus on Nov 21st. Will this create a conflict? I seem to remember that the Fargodome/NDSU lost an opportunity to host a playoff game in the mid-90's when another event was scheduled for the previous day. The visiting team was supposed to get practice time in the Fargodome on the Friday before and couldn't, so the Fargodome did not host. Is this correct? Would the Alerus' commitment on Friday night cause a problem or is the field conversion so quick?

If the turf at the Alerus is stored in a "pit" at the end of the Alerus(I think it is), it's a pretty quick conversion. I talked to the staff at the Fargodome and they said it takes about 30-45 minutes to install the turf, as opposed to 4-6 hours for the previous surface. The biggest hurdle would probably be the setting up and tearing down of the concert equipment. I'm not a roadie, and never have been, but I think it takes the better part of a day to setup. Have 'em cancel the show and hand out free CD's to everyone that bought a ticket :D

I was thinking of the outdoors as far as slicker. I was remembering the Vikings and Bears sliding all over when they played in Champaign last year. Though I don't think it had rained recently.

My point isn't about slickness, it's about injuries. Far more season ending injuries happen on turf. The field stuff is only a few years old, so we'll see how it works out. A lot of teams are moving to it. I guess most would agree it's a nicer fix, because grass does take time and care. I still think something better could be found.

I still think you're stuck on Astroturf which i would agree is completely different from grass.

The new stuff is the same thing as grass (in other words...anything good that grass brings to teh table...this stuff has it too), but it doesn't require cutting, watering, seeding, fertalizing, and it drains better. Also, the oldest version of this new stuff (called AstroPlay) has been around for 4 or maybe more years..it's proven itself as durable so many teams are switching to it to save big in the long run.

When I stepped outside of the Alerus Center after the game this past Saturday to discover that it had started snowing at some point during the game, I immediately thought what a shame it is that the game wasn't played outside at Memorial Stadium. Those games where the weather becomes a factor are the kind of games that you'll still be talking about 20 years later. Who can ever forget the 1984 Sioux/Bison game? How wimpy are people if they can't sit outside in November? It doesn't even get all that cold until December and January, long after the Sioux football season is over. I don't see what's so bad about sitting at Memorial Stadium for three hours when it's 30 to 40 degrees above zero. Put on three sweatshirts and a winter coat, bring a blanket to sit on, and drink lots of hot chocolate. That was a great tradition at Memorial Stadium that has been ruined now. Every time I drive by that place it almost brings me to tears knowing that a great thing has been laid to rest. I really miss spending my Saturday afternoons there. I still love Sioux football and always will, but I hate the Alerus Center with a passion. I hate indoor football period.

I'm taking my toys and going home.

When I stepped outside of the Alerus Center after the game this past Saturday to discover that it had started snowing at some point during the game, I immediately thought what a shame it is that the game wasn't played outside at Memorial Stadium. Those games where the weather becomes a factor are the kind of games that you'll still be talking about 20 years later. Who can ever forget the 1984 Sioux/Bison game? How wimpy are people if they can't sit outside in November? It doesn't even get all that cold until December and January, long after the Sioux football season is over. I don't see what's so bad about sitting at Memorial Stadium for three hours when it's 30 to 40 degrees above zero. Put on three sweatshirts and a winter coat, bring a blanket to sit on, and drink lots of hot chocolate. That was a great tradition at Memorial Stadium that has been ruined now. Every time I drive by that place it almost brings me to tears knowing that a great thing has been laid to rest. I really miss spending my Saturday afternoons there. I still love Sioux football and always will, but I hate the Alerus Center with a passion. I hate indoor football period.

You're quite biased against indoor football i see.

Indoor sports have big advantages over outdoor sports because they can be played at any time, anywhere with exact same game conditions.

Sure, maybe in the south you can still play ok outdoors right now, but up here it's just stupid. There is a difference between having the weather advantage and just plain treating people cruely. It's 20 degrees here with at least a couple inches of snow on the ground and more on the way...that's just sickening to think about being outside in.

By bringing football indoors we can finally level the playing field with the south schools that have good weather year round for outdoor sports. And getting the new style of turf will be just like having grass...it's a win-win situation.

Sorry about memorial and outdoor football in general...but that's the old way of life...we're moving on now. I know people are afraid of change...but this really is the right move for both players and fans.

I have to disagree with BISON1234.....Football is an outdoor game. I was a supporter of the Fargodome, but then I did not realize what we missed by playing outdoors. The element that the weather adds to a football game is a huge plus for me. I must say that I prefer going to Denver Bronco games over the Minnesota Viking games because of the atmosphere the outdoor field adds. Nothing beats a good football game in a snow storm!